Page 111 of 243 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161211 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,665 of 3641
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: The British Politics Thread

The pre-emptive attacks from Labour are getting rather irritating. It's like they're going through every single thing that could be cut and saying 'oh no that would be catastrophic and evil' for each one, then somehow blame the Tories if they do it. Wait a minute which bunch of incompetent ****wits have wasted hundreds of billions and indebted the country for decades?
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    No surprises really
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

And another useless cow here. "I think it's just a con trick, give with one hand and take away with the other"

No **** sherlock. You're familiar with how budgets work then? Not to mention ones having to cut tens of billions of pounds because of the clowns in power for the past thirteen years who failed to do some obvious things like capping housing benefit.

Oh and the downgraded projections relative to Labour's phantom budget are ridiculous.
    Last edited by Scaly piscine; 22-06-2010 at 07:06 AM.

Tax threshold goes up £1k in April...might have done the Maths wrong but I reckon that's worth about £20 a month...should offset the NI rise anyway

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    What good will reducing corporation tax do? Not being rhetorical, genuinely asking the question.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

The idea is to make Britain more competitive and attractive for businesses.

I'm sure one of our economists could expand, that's the reasoning Osbourne have though.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post

I'm sure one of our economists could expand, that's the reasoning Osbourne have though.
    Pretty much this, as far as I know, decrease tax for businesses creates an incentive to earn more. It is all about the balancing act of cutting the deficit, not overly hitting the poor and yet not damaging incentives for those who are going to earn the money to create economic growth.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

cpr
    So, theres going to be a 2.5% rise on everything. fair enough

However i'm now limited to a £250 rise in income, which is just under 1.5% (the £21,600 public sector pay thing is a nice politician trick, as only about 5-10% of the civil service earn over that figure, and most of them are vastly over it.... very few staff in the 20-35k window).

So even ignoring inflation over the next two years, pray tell how i'm to manage?

That's right, mass exodus to the private sector here we come. Real possibility of tens of thousands leaving the civil service, and the vast majority from front line services, flooding a job market where decent jobs are rare as it is (and lets face it, we've got a good chance of snapping them up). So wheres that leave the country.... Still high unemployment but even more understaffed public services to help those in need.

Sad thing is, all 3 parties wanted to do the same, because its easy pickings. Police, Fire, Ambulance etc all paid out of the public purse, yet their pay isn't being limited (and they earn a hell of a lot more than us), the reason being there would be public outcry if they did, but no one minds a civil servant getting hit.... Well folks, when your tax refund/tax credits/child benefit/pension etc goes wrong and theres no one to fix it......
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post

Thanks. Well, I may sound selfish but the budget could have been worse for my family, the reduction of family spending for families earning over 40k doesn't affect us, raising the thresholds an obvious help. Capital gains tax doesn't apply because we don't own shares or equity. Like I said though, I'm being selfish.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post

However i'm now limited to a £250 rise in income, which is just under 1.5% (the £21,600 public sector pay thing is a nice politician trick, as only about 5-10% of the civil service earn over that figure, and most of them are vastly over it.... very few staff in the 20-35k window).

So even ignoring inflation over the next two years, pray tell how i'm to manage?

That's right, mass exodus to the private sector here we come. Real possibility of tens of thousands leaving the civil service, and the vast majority from front line services, flooding a job market where decent jobs are rare as it is (and lets face it, we've got a good chance of snapping them up). So wheres that leave the country.... Still high unemployment but even more understaffed public services to help those in need.

Sad thing is, all 3 parties wanted to do the same, because its easy pickings. Police, Fire, Ambulance etc all paid out of the public purse, yet their pay isn't being limited (and they earn a hell of a lot more than us), the reason being there would be public outcry if they did, but no one minds a civil servant getting hit.... Well folks, when your tax refund/tax credits/child benefit/pension etc goes wrong and theres no one to fix it......
    tbf no-one in our business has had a payrise for 3 years and we won't be getting one this year either(some parts had paycuts in previous years), management had face to face meetings with the staff and had to explain that the money just wasn't there. It's an issue that many in the private sector have had to face so its not like its all roses on the other side.
    Last edited by superkingdave; 22-06-2010 at 09:53 AM.
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post

Are the public services unions going to try and throw their weight about? Or is the motivation not there?

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    BTW according to the last official figures, average pay in the private sector was £448 per week, whilst in the public sector it was £457 per week. (private sector unchanged whilst there was a 3.7% rise in the public sector)

also about the only thing I miss from my time in the revenue is the ridiculously good pension I had

Yeah we've not had a cost of living rise since Feb 07 in my place.

cpr
    Need to get out of that place, just makes me angry. Would've been nice to have been told about it rather than read about it in the press. Its not so much the lack of pay, its the fact were being made scapegoats for the countries troubles, and the public are latching onto it and using it against us, so whenever someone calls up, rather than asking for our help getting their money back, we get torrents of abuse and blamed for everything/anything..... The attitude from above is just making it worse

Thread Information