Cricket Player Manager
Page 11 of 287 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: The British Politics Thread

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Yeah, haven't really got anything more to add to that, so won't bother trying

Just wanted to say this earlier and forgot, one of the things I don't like about the cane, might sound silly, but I don't like the thought of some power-crazed bully of a teacher giving my child the cane. Or any teacher, for that matter.
    Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    Or take a walk outside?
    Was thinking more those not from the UK tbh. I know people have questioned whether or not the likes of you and me are exaggerating hoodies and chavs etc, in the past.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Its a delicate balance.

I dont expect people to be Saints and I dont want people to be ruined for life for one or two mistakes. Christ knows I got away wth enough

However, what is law must be enforced and what we as a society deem correct and social must be protected.

For me the key is the teaching of what we (as a society) deem appropriate behavior from an early age and making a point of highlighting 'bad' behaviour.

Not fudging the matter and being too worried to discipline.

Its impossible to stop all wrong doing but at least we can keep it to a minimum by letting people kknow what is acceptable or not. I think this is the key. Too much is now viewed acceptable as it isnt stamped down upon in certain sections of society.
    I used to stay with an English family in South Africa, who were so lax when it came to disciplining their child, that the frustrated maid used to take the daughter into the yard and unleash merry hell upon her because her mum couldn't be bothered, or saw it as inappropriate to hit her.. The kid was spoilt rotten, and came from a single parent household and as a result, was an absolute nightmare to live with.. Just looking at the contrast between her and her friends, who've had very christian upbringings in some very strict schools, and it's not easy to see whats important.. I don't want to wax lyrical about religion because I'm quite strongly against it, but its interesting to see that instilling discipline effectively really is an old fashioned process..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Yeah, haven't really got anything more to add to that, so won't bother trying

Just wanted to say this earlier and forgot, one of the things I don't like about the cane, might sound silly, but I don't like the thought of some power-crazed bully of a teacher giving my child the cane. Or any teacher, for that matter.
    I couldnt agree more

I used to stay with an English family in South Africa, who were so lax when it came to disciplining their child, that the frustrated maid used to take the daughter into the yard and unleash merry hell upon her because her mum couldn't be bothered, or saw it as inappropriate to hit her.. The kid was spoilt rotten, and came from a single parent household and as a result, was an absolute nightmare to live with.. Just looking at the contrast between her and her friends, who've had very christian upbringings in some very strict schools, and it's not easy to see whats important.. I don't want to wax lyrical about religion because I'm quite strongly against it, but its interesting to see that instilling discipline effectively really is an old fashioned process..
    Yeah. Parents that dont discipline their children should be held up to child abuse charges as it is a form of neglect that leaves the child in poor stead for adulthood.

Children need freedom within a structure. Boundaries are just as important as the freedom to explore within them. Children thrive on a strict but broad structure.

A few simple rules that are enforced are so much better for kids than the confusion caused by of lots of rules occasionally enforced or no rules at all.
    Last edited by Goughy; 04-06-2008 at 04:38 PM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

cpr
    I'm sure having teeth would be too..
    Pure gold (the post, not the teeth)
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    I couldnt agree more

Yeah. Parents that dont discipline their children should be held up to child abuse charges as it is a form of neglect that leaves the child in poor stead for adulthood.

Children need freedom within a structure. Boundaries are just as important as the freedom to explore within them. Children thrive on a strict but broad structure.

A few simple rules that are enforced are so much better for kids than the confusion caused by of lots of rules occasionally enforced or no rules at all.
    Give it ten years and I'm sure she'll be on her first hit of crystal meth..

Remind me to stay away...

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7459528.stm

This really is a load of crap imo, granted MPs should have what they try and use their expenses for checked out. But to run some enquiry on something like this that is nearly a decade old is just pathetic. I mean who the hell cares if she shelled out some dosh for a nanny ten years ago? Any enquiry will just be a total waste of time and money that could be spent on somthing more important or useful.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7459528.stm

This really is a load of crap imo, granted MPs should have what they try and use their expenses for checked out. But to run some enquiry on something like this that is nearly a decade old is just pathetic. I mean who the hell cares if she shelled out some dosh for a nanny ten years ago? Any enquiry will just be a total waste of time and money that could be spent on somthing more important or useful.
    Its utter bollocks that the press will exploit. Who cares? well a lot of people will because the press will tell them to be offended.

Its stupid, bureaucratic and petty to follow this up. Nothing to do with the party concerned. Id be equally bored by the situation if it was a Labour MP (as I was with the Blunkett nanny fiasco).

To top it all off, I imagine the result of any enquiry made will be totally inconclusive, as I imagine it will be hard to prove that this nanny they spoke of never did any secretarial work. And even if she didn't, who gives a ****? Nobody would have done at the time, so I fail to see why they would now. I means its not even like she's just paid out a load of money to a family member as a favour or spent it on buying a new car ffs, and imo spending expenses on a nanny could in fact be construed as a valid usage of them I would have thought.

Pinball Champion!
    I'm fed up with looking at Aussie sightscreens...

Labour loses the Glasgow By-Election, terrible result from their point of view. Apparently it was the 10th safest seat in the country or something like that.

And now Gordon Brown comes out today and tells the Labour supporters to "have confidence", load of crap. You're time is up sunshine, guess we have Dave Cameron to look forward to now, can't wait

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Still another two years though for things to calm down.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    Still another two years though for things to calm down.
    Unless Labour have a major reshuffle and sort out some decent policies they've had it.

The Cabinet at the moment is just horrible anyway, Smith and Darling are truly insipid and have no character whatsoever, piss poor. David Milliband ought to be put in charge of the entire party imo, as Brown has looked incredibly shaky, and his performances at PMQs have been shocking.

Barring the Tories collapsing under another sleaze scandal(s) I would say that it's not their election to lose, and I'd be extremely suprised if they did.

I'm more concerned at the 'revolutionary' plans for welfare that both Labour and the Tories are pushing. It's a disgusting set of proposals which will violate human rights by inflicting slave labour upon people, is further going down the road of making the unemployed/sick an underclass and will plainly not work anyway. Basically it'll get to the point where you're infinitely better off being a incompetent criminal than being a good but unemployed person.

A capital society with not even close to 100% employment needs the unemployed for it to function properly, it is simple maths, there are more people than there are jobs and being or potentially being in this underclass fuels the drive to work. But of course it is convenient for the rich tossers at the top to create this notion of taxpaying being everything and giving them a device to stigmatise those who aren't paying taxes.

It is hardly a surprise the world is such a messed up place.
    World Scrabble Champion 2014. National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Unless Labour have a major reshuffle and sort out some decent policies they've had it.

The Cabinet at the moment is just horrible anyway, Smith and Darling are truly insipid and have no character whatsoever, piss poor. David Milliband ought to be put in charge of the entire party imo, as Brown has looked incredibly shaky, and his performances at PMQs have been shocking.

Barring the Tories collapsing under another sleaze scandal(s) I would say that it's not their election to lose, and I'd be extremely suprised if they did.
    Whats character got to do with economics?

Page 11 of 287 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread Information