Page 55 of 85 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thread: Poker

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 99* View Post
    Guess I should say I was actually player 3 in that hand. And that I did have the Q.

Am just trying to understand my friends methodology in the hand.

Oh and SS, I play trips the opposite way. I never ever give a free card to someone if I have a made hand (trips or higher). I often put in a big overbet to give a show of weakness with the hope of one caller with either a big pair or such and on the turn push (regardless of what it is).
    I'd disagree with that strategy. C-bets are fine, and an overbet may win you some big pots sometime, but in the long run it'll most likely be costing you money. Unless there is a flush draw or something equally annoying on the board, let them make their pair.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 10-12-2009 at 09:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Disagree here. Second nuts (the only hand that has you beat now is QQ, and if that's what he has, he's cleaning you out regardless) is strong enough to slow-play in position. Out of position it doesn't make much sense, but in position you're giving the maniac another chance to hang himself come the river.
    I'd have to disagree. The whole point in this hand should be to get your money in. Based on his betting pattern, I think he'd be more likely to call an all in now than on the river, especially if a scare card for him comes. The point of slow playing is obviously to get mor emoney in the pot, I think it is more likely at this stage that going all in does that.

Obviously the Q on the river did cause him to bet more, so retrospectively it was OK to call, but I would maintain the better decision is to raise on the turn.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I'd have to disagree. The whole point in this hand should be to get your money in. Based on his betting pattern, I think he'd be more likely to call an all in now than on the river, especially if a scare card for him comes. The point of slow playing is obviously to get mor emoney in the pot, I think it is more likely at this stage that going all in does that.

Obviously the Q on the river did cause him to bet more, so retrospectively it was OK to call, but I would maintain the better decision is to raise on the turn.
    I'm playing the opponent here. The only read 99* gave us was that the opponent is hyper-aggressive, and by flat-calling in position you're giving him enough rope to hang himself with.

Basically, in this spot, he's either got something or he hasn't. If he's got something, it doesn't matter what you do- all of his money's going in the pot eventually regardless of how you play the hand. There aren't any river cards that could scare them off. No player is ever capable of throwing away a full house, says Zeebo's theorem.

On the other hand, if he's got nothing, the only way you're getting any more money in the pot is by giving him the chance to fire another shot at the bluff on the river. Which is quite likely when an extremely aggressive opponent is in front of a massive pot.

Against a passive or inexperienced opponent, I'd consider the min-raise. They'll call for non-existent value then throw more money in again on the river because they feel pot committed.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

I'm thinking of getting into Pot Limit Omaha, anyone on here played much of that?
    Yeah man i quite like it aye cashed in a couple of PLO MTT's on PKR, go heads up fairly decent too. The good thing about PLO is that its a game of the nuts, and that the nuts often changes on every street lol. Look at this hand where I was obviously playing against donks(very 1st hand of an MTT and I was gone!). Still don't think I would have ever done anything different I mean I had the nuts so was going all-in lol. Waste of ****in' money ha

Game Type: OMAHA
    Limit Type: POT LIMIT
    Table Type: TOURNAMENT
    Money Type: TOURNAMENT CHIPS
    Blinds are now $10/$20
    Button is at seat 5
    Seat 1: hutchyshankill - $2,000
    Seat 2: CESSNAPT - $2,000
    Seat 3: SL0WMAN - $2,000
    Seat 4: Zotyo22 - $2,000
    Seat 5: anglocroat - $2,000
    Seat 6: poletinho10 - $2,000
    Seat 7: L1MP1N - $2,000
    Seat 8: pelegrin27 - $2,000
    Seat 9: portocity - $2,000
    Seat 10: PatNewman - $2,000
    Moving Button to seat 5
    poletinho10 posts small blind ($10)
    L1MP1N posts big blind ($20)
    Shuffling Deck
    Dealing Cards
    Dealing [Qd Ts Qc 7h] to L1MP1N
    pelegrin27 calls $20
    portocity folds
    PatNewman calls $20
    hutchyshankill raises to $110
    CESSNAPT folds
    SL0WMAN calls $110
    Zotyo22 calls $110
    anglocroat has become disconnected and has 10 seconds to reconnect
    anglocroat did not respond in time and is folded
    anglocroat folds
    poletinho10 calls $110
    L1MP1N calls $110
    pelegrin27 calls $110
    PatNewman folds
    Dealing Flop [Qs 9s 5h]
    poletinho10 checks
    L1MP1N bets $465
    pelegrin27 calls $465
    hutchyshankill calls $465
    SL0WMAN folds
    Zotyo22 raises to $1,890 (all-in)
    poletinho10 folds
    L1MP1N calls $1,890 (all-in)
    pelegrin27 calls $1,890 (all-in)
    hutchyshankill calls $1,890 (all-in)
    hutchyshankill shows [Jc 3s Ks 4h]
    Zotyo22 shows [Kc 5d 5c 7d]
    L1MP1N shows [Qd Ts Qc 7h]
    pelegrin27 shows [5s 9d 8h 7c]
    Dealing Turn [Js]
    Dealing River [2h]
    Zotyo22 has Three of a Kind: 5s
    L1MP1N has Three of a Kind: Queens
    hutchyshankill has Flush, King high
    hutchyshankill wins $8,240 with: Flush, King high
    Last edited by bryce; 10-12-2009 at 11:14 AM.
    ODI XI to match the best
    1.Ryder
    2.McCullum+
    3.Guptill
    4.Taylor
    5.Broom
    6.Oram
    7.Elliott
    8.Vettori*
    9.Mills
    10.Southee
    11.Bond
    ringaz_ride@hotmail.com
    To answer your question, yes
    Thanks?
    METEORIC RISE ?

Haha that's insane. Trying to work out all the draw possibilities hurts my brain.

A friend of mine thinks it's the crack cocaine of poker. He's good, but he barely ever wins anything because he bets huge proportions of his bankroll at a time and variance always bites him in the ass. Still, I've heard it's worth getting into simply because the standard at low-mid levels is so utterly atrocious.

Yea man I reckon the secret is making extremely disciplined folds. Can be so easy to lose like 30% of your chips with the drop of one card because generally when you hold the nuts you jam it up(bet the pot) then a scare card might come and all of a sudden you do not hold the nuts and have to fold. The most frustrating thing is when the fish catch cards haha so hard to put donks on a hand. I've had a bit of a break from it of late(since that last hand actually, lol) because I needa be in a really positive mindset to play good PLO I find.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    A few people seem a little results orientated here with that k10 hand.

I definitely would have raised on the flop, flat called on the turn when you hit your magical card, and insta-call the shove on the river. I'm overly aggressive in online cash games though and in some circumstances I would have re-raised pre-flop here as well.

Btw, PLO, sick game. Variance is insane. I don't really like it because I think its a bit of bingo when you consider all the draws etc that you can just get it in with.

K10's a tough hand to play against a raise, even in position. What do you do with the c-bet if the king comes down? It's trouble.

If he's aggressive enough that there's a good chance you've got a better hand then you're technically better calling. But against someone that aggressive I'd still fold. Unless he's an absolute pro, I'll probably get better opportunities to take his money. Very few players are good enough to pull off an ultra-aggressive pre-flop game in a 8-seat game.
    Last edited by Uppercut; 10-12-2009 at 05:29 PM.

K10's a tough hand to play against a raise, even in position. What do you do with the c-bet if the king comes down? It's trouble.

If he's aggressive enough that there's a good chance you've got a better hand then you're technically better calling. But against someone that aggressive I'd still fold. Unless he's an absolute pro, I'll probably get better opportunities to take his money. Very few players are good enough to pull off an ultra-aggressive pre-flop game in a 8-seat game.
    Yeah that's true. It seems he was on the button I think.

It all really depends how confident you are of your post-flop play. I play alot of Hu cash so I'm overly aggressive though. I don't mind a re-raise preflop here if you're fairly sure it'll be heads up going into the flop.

Yeah, it might not be a bad idea to isolate him. If he's 3-betting with moderately strong hands then you can put him off better kings if he flat-calls your re-raise. Potential catastrophe averted. If he calls you have a lot of equity. Decent hand, in position, and a better player HU. And obviously a fold is never a bad thing.

But I still personally prefer the fold in that spot. If he's as uber-aggressive as 99* says, he could shove with something as marginal KQ or AJ. Which not only means folding the pot, but losing money to a player you should be cleaning out with pre-flop monsters.

All depends on the reads I guess.

I like re-raising in position here because you gain both isolation against the aggro spewy player (hopefuly) and you have more of an idea of his range.

Where do you play HU cash and for what stakes?

The rake's always a killer for me in HU cash. Doesn't suit my patient, aggressive game at all.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Haha, am having a visual now of Murali getting a super hand, and his eyes bulging out of his head in excitement.

loled so hard at that.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Where do you play HU cash and for what stakes?

The rake's always a killer for me in HU cash. Doesn't suit my patient, aggressive game at all.
    Mainly play Cash on the ipoker network, usually Chili. I have a rakeback deal with them which helps alot.

I don't play that high as I tend to get bored online but anything from 25-50c to $2/4

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    Got another question. How do all of you blokes play against a straight? As in, when do you bet against someone having one, and also when do you play for one with your own hand?
    'Copperfield,' said Mr. Micawber, 'farewell! Every happiness and prosperity! If, in the progress of revolving years, I could persuade myself that my blighted destiny had been a warning to you, I should feel that I had not occupied another man's place in existence altogether in vain.
    - Wilkins Micawber

Page 55 of 85 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thread Information