Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Heath Davis' Legend of the Day Thread

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.

Heath Davis' Legend of the Day Thread

Apologies again if there is already a similar thread somewhere. I did have a search, but couldn't find anything similar.

Every day (that I'm on line) I will post a person, place or object which I will name as my 'Legend of the Day'. People can feel free to say that I'm crazy or comment on my legend, and post competing legends (from the same field) and try and prove that their legend is superior to mine.

It would really be helpful if I knew how to link to pictures on the web, but in the absence of any such skill, I will just link to a random website (which will usually be wikipedia or cricinfo or somesuch).

Heath Davis' First Legend of the Day is....

JIM BOWEN

Sundays just weren't the same without a bit of Bully when I lived in the UK for a while. For those not in the know, Jim Bowen was the entertainer who presented the darts based gameshow "Bullseye"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Bowen

For some references to popular culture, look for the B Side to the Supergrass single "Lenny". The song, subtly titled "Sex" features a pastiche of Bullseye in the lyrics.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Pinball Champion!
    Haha brilliant call.. You've just won a turnip..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Loved Bulleye, was great when someone who lived in a 30 floor council block in Wolverhampton won the speed boat. According to Bowen, the shows producer had a 'deal' with the manufacture of speed boats, hence there common occurrence as the main prize.

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Bullseye is great well done Heath.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

International Regular DCC_legend's Avatar
    Tbh.

Where's my money?

I actually got some Bullseye things for Christmas.
    Well the Irish did it on St Patrick's day

Rip Fardin Qayyumi, Bob Woolmer and Craig.
    No offence Neil
    "No good thing ever dies." Andy Dufresne. The Shawshank Redemption.
    "Don't interupt the emeny when they're making a mistake" Napoleon

International Regular DCC_legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andmark View Post
    I actually got some Bullseye things for Christmas.
    Bullseye Dartboard?

I see that there was absolutely no debate over whether or not Jim Bowen is the greatest game show host ever to walk the earth. No mention of Bob Holness or even Leslie Crowther. Bruce Forsyth will be similarly disappointed.

My next 'Legend of the Day' will hopefully produce a bit more reaction.

It is the Basin Reserve cricket ground; New Zealand's Home of Cricket.

The place is a wreck. They would spend more money on it if the whole place burnt down and they hired in a single JCB to clear up the wreckage. Many Wellingtonians want to see a road ploughed through the middle of it to cut 5 seconds off their morning commute.

Now, I've been round most of the cricketing world, watching and playing cricket and the Basin Reserve is my undisputed favourite place to watch cricket. Lying on the grassy bank in sunshine, fog or rain, I have witnessed plenty of cricket. Including at least 2 Chris Martin first ball ducks.

The fact that its such a wreck and is still a wonderful place to watch cricket makes the Basin Reserve 'Heath Davis' Legend of the Day'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basin_reserve

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I see that there was absolutely no debate over whether or not Jim Bowen is the greatest game show host ever to walk the earth. No mention of Bob Holness or even Leslie Crowther. Bruce Forsyth will be similarly disappointed.

The place is a wreck. They would spend more money on it if the whole place burnt down and they hired in a single JCB to clear up the wreckage. Many Wellingtonians want to see a road ploughed through the middle of it to cut 5 seconds off their morning commute.

Now, I've been round most of the cricketing world, watching and playing cricket and the Basin Reserve is my undisputed favourite place to watch cricket. Lying on the grassy bank in sunshine, fog or rain, I have witnessed plenty of cricket. Including at least 2 Chris Martin first ball ducks.

The fact that its such a wreck and is still a wonderful place to watch cricket makes the Basin Reserve 'Heath Davis' Legend of the Day'

good call

International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar

I don't think it's a wreck, and it is being upgraded, if slowly. In recent times they've moved the Wakefield memorial back inside the ground, which I think looks awesome, plus there are now plenty of numbers and letters for the scoreboard.

But yeah, can't stand those complete morons who would rather plow a road through there than have a beautiful public green space. If they want to live in a concrete jungle, they should piss off to Singapore or something.
    Member of the Newtown Cricket Club since January '06 - "Per commissum ad taberna"
    Honorary Vice-President of the "Twenty20 Is Boring Society"

Quote Originally Posted by 16 tins of Spam View Post
    I don't think it's a wreck, and it is being upgraded, if slowly. In recent times they've moved the Wakefield memorial back inside the ground, which I think looks awesome, plus there are now plenty of numbers and letters for the scoreboard.
    Yeah - they have done bits and pieces, but they really need to invest some proper money in the stands to get them up to scratch, rather than looking close to collapse.

I forgot to mention how much I love the manual scoreboard; the fact that they never bother putting up the name 'Martin' when he comes into bat because they know he'll be out before they finish putting his name up, and the constant misspellings that show players such as 'Rdyer' as regular fixtures in the Wellington team!

The other great thing about the Basin is that in lunch breaks, you can hop over the fence and play on the hallowed turf. Last time I was there, Scott Rasmussen was getting particularly annoyed as some teenagers were playing cricket near the hot dog cart during the game and kept hitting their tennis ball onto the pitch and demanding that Scott through it back. Bliss.

The other great thing about the Basin is that in lunch breaks, you can hop over the fence and play on the hallowed turf.
    That truly is one of life's great pleasures. Long may it continue

The Basin is a fantastic ground, will always be my personal favourite.

It's unlikely to ever get a full make over though I would think. Is it actually used for anything else apart from like 10 List A/First Class games a year and 1/2 Tests?

Quote Originally Posted by 16 tins of Spam View Post
    That truly is one of life's great pleasures. Long may it continue
    Yep. I did a pastiche pitch report during the lunch break at the State Shield semi-final last year... You can get right up to the pitch, as long as you're quick enough to avoid the roller (which Heath is, of course)

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    It's unlikely to ever get a full make over though I would think. Is it actually used for anything else apart from like 10 List A/First Class games a year and 1/2 Tests?
    I think they use it for Rugby League in the Winter, or at least rugby practise. Other than that, not much. If they did up the main stand, they could at least use it as a conference facility with a great view when a match isn't on (or even when a Championship match is on)

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Is it actually used for anything else apart from like 10 List A/First Class games a year and 1/2 Tests?
    Yeah, as HDS said, it's used for league, some club rugby I think, concerts, and it's hosting Wellington Phoenix's first home pre-season game in August. Besides, it is actually a public space, so whether it gets used for sport doesn't matter much.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information