Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten Years of Tony Blair

International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar

Ten Years of Tony Blair

http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thre...20070507103833

Was reading the above debate on the BBC and found it quite interesting......just wondering what Cricketwebbians have to say about Blair's 10 years in power and the legacy he bequeathes.
    Zinedine Zidane is the greatest footballer ever !

Richard Dickinson - you little beauty !!!!

*Wake up again*

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Blair did decent thing's but he will only be rememberd for Iraq.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

Pinball Champion!
    Yeah, he could have been worse, but the main things that stand out for me have been the war in Iraq, the appaling immigration system, and the unchecked yob culture.. Apparently violent crime hasn't been rising, but I don't believe that either..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Yea, you can't believe any of the statistics politicians come up with. They just find new and improved ways of manipulating them at the source or wherever, so things go unreported or are reclassified.

Blair will probably get credit for the economy, but him and Brown have barely had to do anything. They've just been incredibly lucky to be in at the right place at the right time - and they've been making their career off it for the past 10 years. Virtually anyone could have ensured the economy was prosperous and stable given the easy run with all the external factors being kind (which is very important) and what they inherited.

So what has Blair achieved? Very little generally, he's changed a few things which are kinda good or bad depending on your viewpoint. His party have inflicted PFIs on the NHS so that'll be suffering for decades to come. 'Things can only get better' he said. Has anything really definitively improved given all the extra fleecing? Not really - public services are the same or worse.

Blair is weak in a crisis and he garners no respect from pretty much everyone, at home and internationally - those are two of the most important things (to me at least) when it comes to being PM. Can you imagine how 'inspiring' Blair would be if Britain were invaded? It's frightening. I know that's becoming less important as time passes, but you still have to be to stand up diplomatically to Europe, France etc. which he's been completely limp on everytime making concession after concession.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Blair was almost as good as England could expect and then Iraq happened and it kept getting worse.

It would be unfortunate if thats all he is remembered for and very unfair too.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    I think in retrospect Blair will be mainly remembered for the Iraq debacle &, just conceivably, his mishandling of the former eastern-bloc countries entering the EU. Cheap labour is pricing a lot of the native working class out of the market & that is exactly the kind of environment that fascism (with its pat "divide-and-conquer" answers) can thrive in.

What is staggering is that after ten years (& a couple as leader of the opposition before that) we still don't really know what Blair believes in as a politician. He seems to be a leader free of ideologies, something he shared with his immediate predecessor as PM.

What is most damning though is that he had a massive majority after 1997 & could've done so much more with it. Instead he used it to implement changes (like tuition fees for students) that a Tory government would never have dared do for fear of appearing too right-wing.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

He (and his Government) have been the ultimate faffers especially with regards to Education and the Heath Service.

Barely 5 mins pass without someother form of legislation or policy coming in to usurp the previous strategy of 10 mins ago or in another area.

Health service workers and teachers are bombarded by an ever changing environment in which noone can settle before the next wave of changes.

Its like the Government think they are cheating the tax payers if they are not making changes all the time or more likely different people want to stick their oar in and interfere.

The faffing has created a completely unstable workplace and foundation that has heavily sapped morale (apart from the boot and arse licking ambitious new breed that thrive on each opportunity the shifting world creates).

Just to point out, I dont endorse any British political party.
    Last edited by Goughy; 07-05-2007 at 03:16 PM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    The biggest disappointment ever. I'll remember him for being a US lapdog, bringing Muslim resentment to bear, and then slowly and surely stripping away Britain's freedom with a raft of anti civil-liberty legislation designed to counteract the consequences.
    Member of the Newtown Cricket Club since January '06 - "Per commissum ad taberna"
    Honorary Vice-President of the "Twenty20 Is Boring Society"

cpr
    As a Conservative person, i have to say that Blair kops more stick than he deserves. Ok he ballsed up over Iraq, and has come accross far too much as Bush's yes man, but he gets called for certain things he shouldnt do

The NHS - My employer.... whilst i've always had a stance against PFI's/PPP's, the simple fact is the country cannot support the NHS on its own. There really was no choice on the matter. Problem being however was not enough regulation was put on those incharge of the new hospitals, so whilst standards have been improving, reputations are getting shot to **** by mismanagement. Oh, and i'm still waiting for my below inflation April pay rise of a whole 1%.....

Europe - May i just say, thank you to The Sun and all the other turd rags for this..... Blair has been portrayed as weak in Europe... Did anyone actually READ the European Constitution when it was on the table? We'd bent the French over and inserted a baguette where the sun didnt shine. We'd got a damn good deal on that one, and all the turdrags screamed 'SAY NO TO BRUSSELLS, WERE NOT EUROPHOBES HONEST!'.... If it'd got to a referendum and Britain voted no, i'd have left the country in despair..... If the french rejected a supposidly europe-uniting document, then you KNOW it must favour Britain.
    As for Eastern European immigration, its not Blairs fault that Brits would rather live off the dole than take one of millions of so called 'manual' jobs, such as cleaners, drivers etc. Were a Mecca for the poor. Jobs they'd beg for back home, all at a minimum wage more than they used to earn in a month.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I think in retrospect Blair will be mainly remembered for the Iraq debacle &, just conceivably, his mishandling of the former eastern-bloc countries entering the EU. Cheap labour is pricing a lot of the native working class out of the market & that is exactly the kind of environment that fascism (with its pat "divide-and-conquer" answers) can thrive in.

What is staggering is that after ten years (& a couple as leader of the opposition before that) we still don't really know what Blair believes in as a politician. He seems to be a leader free of ideologies, something he shared with his immediate predecessor as PM.

What is most damning though is that he had a massive majority after 1997 & could've done so much more with it. Instead he used it to implement changes (like tuition fees for students) that a Tory government would never have dared do for fear of appearing too right-wing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    He (and his Government) have been the ultimate faffers especially with regards to Education and the Heath Service.

Barely 5 mins pass without someother form of legislation or policy coming in to usurp the previous strategy of 10 mins ago or in another area.

Health service workers and teachers are bombarded by an ever changing environment in which noone can settle before the next wave of changes.

Its like the Government think they are cheating the tax payers if they are not making changes all the time or more likely different people want to stick their oar in and interfere.

The faffing has created a completely unstable workplace and foundation that has heavily sapped morale (apart from the boot and arse licking ambitious new breed that thrive on each opportunity the shifting world creates).

Just to point out, I dont endorse any British political party.
    I don't talk politics online tbh, or really anywhere outside my own home, but I will say this: education, education, education. What he failed to add was that he intended to make an almighty mess of it.
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    As for Eastern European immigration, its not Blairs fault that Brits would rather live off the dole than take one of millions of so called 'manual' jobs, such as cleaners, drivers etc. Were a Mecca for the poor. Jobs they'd beg for back home, all at a minimum wage more than they used to earn in a month.
    It is his fault that he didn't negotiate limits for the number we'd accept initially like France & Germany did.

I live in an area (North Cambridgeshire) where a lot of firms employ unskilled & semi-skilled labour to harvest and prepare the crops we still grow in our charmingly yokel way. For these companies it's an absolute no-brainer that the £5.35ph they can pay to a Pole or a Lithuanian will result in a higher profit margin than the (say) £6.50 they might have to pay the natives.

We actually have companies now that won't employ Brits because they Eastern Europeans are better (& more docile) workers. True story: a company who builds buses advertised in the Job Centre I work in for a mechanic. They wanted a Pole or a Lithuanian, but we forbid any advertisements that discriminate on grounds of race, nationality, gender or sexual orientation. They circumvented this by stipulating that the mechanic must speak Polish or Russian as they would be working with a lot of speakers of those languages & clarity was important. Obviously they’re the first thing your average mechanic learns after how to change oil.

He is 10 already? Jeez, Tony is growing up fast

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by KiWiNiNjA View Post
    He is 10 already? Jeez, Tony is growing up fast

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    I don't get it

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information