Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sarkozy is the new French President

International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar

Sarkozy is the new French President

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6631309.stm

Personally I thought the FRench election was rather like the NSW one....two poor choices available and you had to choose the "lesser of two evils".

Segolene Royal was likeable at least as a public figure but her policies would have taken France deeper into the economic abyss that they are.
    On the other hand, Sarkozy talks the talk but can he walk the walk given that he has been part of the government that has stuffed France's economy for the better part of a decade.

Will also be interesting to see what turn Franco-US relations take now ?
    Sarkozy is a conservative and I imagine some of his ideas will draw warm applause from Dick "Deadeye" Cheney, Condy and Dubya.

Thoughts people ?
    Zinedine Zidane is the greatest footballer ever !

Richard Dickinson - you little beauty !!!!

Thoughts? I almost fell asleep reading that article tbh.

Interesting that the country that has one of the worst records of anti-semitic incidents in the current (very recent history) now has a president with Jewish roots. Don't know what impact that will have, I'll be watching it closely though.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Will it help cease all the rioting that the students have been doing over there?

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Interesting that the country that has one of the worst records of anti-semitic incidents in the current (very recent history) now has a president with Jewish roots. Don't know what impact that will have, I'll be watching it closely though.
    That's really probably more to do with the make-up of the population of France than any inherent anti-semitism on their part. France has the largest population of Jews in Europe & also the largest population of Muslims, many of whom are newly radicalised. It's a sad fact that Israel & the plight of the Palestians is a cause celeb for radical Islam & it does not really distinguish between Jewish people & Israel. The concepts of Liberté, Égalité & Fraternité are actually pretty well-rooted in France as they had the good sense to off all their aristos a couple of hundred years back.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    That's really probably more to do with the make-up of the population of France than any inherent anti-semitism on their part. France has the largest population of Jews in Europe & also the largest population of Muslims, many of whom are newly radicalised. It's a sad fact that Israel & the plight of the Palestians is a cause celeb for radical Islam & it does not really distinguish between Jewish people & Israel. The concepts of Liberté, Égalité & Fraternité are actually pretty well-rooted in France as they had the good sense to off all their aristos a couple of hundred years back.
    Yeah, yeah I know. Just pointing out the relative irony(for lack of a better word) in it all.

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luffy View Post
    Will it help cease all the rioting that the students have been doing over there?
    Nope, it'll make it worse.

You don't solve problems with race relations and cultural ignorance by electing a conservative President.

Pissed off about this result TBH, I'll make sure I enjoy my two weeks in France before being killed by a petrol bomb.

Well sure isn't afraid to call tell how it is - calling young hooligians as 'scum'.

Agree with him there.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    I was chatting about the elections with a liberal French aid worker (who a week before had been talking passionately about the only important thing being stopping Le Pen) and suprisingly he was pleased with Sarkozy winning despite being the more conservative candidate.

The reson predominantly being that it would be potentially dangerous to have an emotional idealist given an entire national budget and the ability to dictate policy.

Sarkozy was probably the more stable candidate.

Just to add (though its already been mentioned) the dramatic rise in French anti-semitism has had little to do with the Gallic (for want of a better word) population and all to do with the radicalised immigrants from the Middle East and North Africa.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Pinball Champion!
    Yeah a good choice for mine.. France has a proud national identity and heritage and should never let people intent on undermining it succeed.. Good for France
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    He appears good from this distance but it was very disappointing to see the near riots on the streets after he won.

France needs to get together and quickly. Thats going to be his ultimate test.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Well sure isn't afraid to call tell how it is - calling young hooligians as 'scum'.

Agree with him there.
    He also called Muslims that and pretty much threatened them to "integrate or else". Which frightens me just a tad.

cpr
    Like anyone can take a threat of 'or else' from a Frenchman, unless its followed with 'i will surrender'

Seriously though, not surprised. Better candidate, left has got itself all tangled up in dirty politics, had a warning shot last time (only Le Pen was too far right), didnt clean their act up, treated the nation as their god given right to be in power.

Give them a year and we'll see a strong france. I'd put money on them invading the channel islands for a week as there prone to do when there feeling bullish (they leave when threatened with arrest)
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
    Nope, it'll make it worse.

You don't solve problems with race relations and cultural ignorance by electing a conservative President.

Pissed off about this result TBH, I'll make sure I enjoy my two weeks in France before being killed by a petrol bomb.
    Yeah i saw that on the news this morning. Looks to be getting worse.

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Would have been hilarious if Le Pen got elected. Would have taken France back to the dark ages. I'm a bit of a left winger myself, but I suppose Sarkozy's not bad.
    Proud 2nd member of GM-OLAS
    Honorary Assistant Vice-President and Inquisitor General of T2IBS (Twenty-20 is Boring Society)

Fraz highlights the defining aspect of Shoaib's legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    Those humanitarian works etc ?
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I feel Tendulkar's association with the money minting exploitation of cricket fandom by certain varying commercial interests tarnishes his greatness a tad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information