Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Pitbulls be eradicated?

Banned

Should Pitbulls be eradicated?

I'm sick of hearing stories every other week of this breed of dog attacking people, usually kids. I wouldn't mind if they were stopped from breeding and eradicated altogether. Your thoughts?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Just need restrictions on them rather than eradication. Once that starts we could say the same about sharks and other animals and we'd end up playing God on another level.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    It wouldn't worry me in the slightest if they were. They're a vile breed of dogs, and I have seen 1st hand the effect they can have, especially on young children.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Matteh View Post
    Just need restrictions on them rather than eradication. Once that starts we could say the same about sharks and other animals and we'd end up playing God on another level.
    Good point. They are however a supposedly domesticated animal and just cause too much grief for victims and their families. Get rid of them I say.

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    We were the ones who originally "played god" and breeded them to have such ferocious characteristics. Breeding them out of the dog pool isn't such a bad idea IMO.
    Proud 2nd member of GM-OLAS
    Honorary Assistant Vice-President and Inquisitor General of T2IBS (Twenty-20 is Boring Society)

Fraz highlights the defining aspect of Shoaib's legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    Those humanitarian works etc ?
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I feel Tendulkar's association with the money minting exploitation of cricket fandom by certain varying commercial interests tarnishes his greatness a tad.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by shortpitched713 View Post
    We were the ones who originally "played god" and breeded them to have such ferocious characteristics. Breeding them out of the dog pool isn't such a bad idea IMO.
    Yeah, spot on.

It's banned here, so everyone who wanted one (dunno why ) reclassified them as amstaffs. So they banned that dog too.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

cpr
    Depends what you mean by 'Pitbulls', as alot of similar dogs are lumped in. My girlfriends dad has a Staffordshire Bull Terrior, they usually get lumped in as one in the same

Dogs are as violent as they are raised to be. Pitbulls and Staffs were breed predominatly as guard dogs. There small, fiercly loyal, and can be dangerous when crossed. Doesnt make them violent as nature, just dangerous when in a threatened situation. Any dog is violent in that position, just these are breed to be the best defensive dogs you can have.

However they've now become the animal of choice for criminals and drug dealers and the like for those exact reasons. Baby Staffs/pitbulls are a status symbol. They get stolen (believe me, i've seen posters looking for lost dogs with rewards in the thousands, where houses have been broken into purely to lift defensless puppies.. mothers arnt strong enough just after birth to fend off), they get abused, they get taught that violence is golden. They are turned into monsters by the owners, who use them for intimidation and violence.

If brought up by people who actually care about animals, they are no different to any other dogs. A friend of mine's father is a police dog handler, and he has a couple of pitbulls. Great guard dogs (though the police alsation that sits on the lawn is more than a deterrent), they are two of the softest animals i've ever met, even around strangers, because they've been looked after and cared for.

Likewise my girlfriends fathers staff is just as soft. What we know of its history is that it was chipped as a puppy, but stolen as a puppy (the vet it was chipped at cant trace the original owner as they've moved), it was abused and subjected to violence. Its been trained to react to guns, as a neighbour has an air rifle which he was showing us, and the sight of it made the dog go unbelievably mad. Now its been in a loving home for 6 months, he is the happiest dog alive, never leaves my gf's dads side, loves him to bits, is fine around children, like any household pet, because he knows he's well looked after, and that violence isnt tolerated, let alone expected.

Rather than get rid of the dogs, its the owners who need a clampdown on, there the sick individuals who are creating monsters out of animals. Now i'm not saying their the nicest of dogs, i certainly cant see any reason to buy one as a family pet (esp as there so expensive). In 90% of the cases, the owners bought/stolen one for a reason, and thats to use it to intimidate. Its hardly the dogs fault if its only taught to be violent
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    everyone who wanted one (dunno why )
    Drug pushers who want to protect their merchandise, like that piece of scum Kiel Simpson.

International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    cpr is right. Besides, if we banned pitbulls and staffies, the crims would just find another breed to brutalise.
    Member of the Newtown Cricket Club since January '06 - "Per commissum ad taberna"
    Honorary Vice-President of the "Twenty20 Is Boring Society"

Ban the owners who mistreet them to raise them like that.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Breakout Champion!
    Personally, I think all dogs should be eradicated. But hey, I hear some people like the little ****s.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Cats > Dogs lets face it.

Breakout Champion!
    Awta.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by steds View Post
    Awta.
    what does awta stand for? (excuse my ignorance)

cpr
    Cats > Dogs lets face it.

What he said

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information