Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Iran imprison Royal Navy Sailors

International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar

Iran imprison Royal Navy Sailors

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6498611.stm

Thoughts on the crisis, people ?
    Zinedine Zidane is the greatest footballer ever !

Richard Dickinson - you little beauty !!!!

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Here's hoping there's a swift resolution. If not, things could get ugly. Feel for the 15 guys, too. Best wishes to them all.

Even if the sailors deliberately went into Iranian waters (for spying/surveillance etc), it is in Iran's best interest to resolve this as soon as possible. The Bush administration is looking for any reason whatsoever to attack Iran. Here, they might convince Britain to launch a rescue mission, or some sort of an attack, which will surely escalate. An all-out war against Iran would soon be the logical result, with the U.S prominently involved. I believe the Iranian President is a complete nut and would welcome a confrontation. This is a recipe for disaster and I pray that it's resolved before it escalates any further.

PY
    I'm really rather worried about this to be honest. As you mention Fusion, it could be used as an excuse to do something and the plight of the 15 sailors gets forgotten. Hopefully, common sense will prevail.

Vehement denials of any wrong-doing by the UK so far right upto the PM so not sure what to make of it to be honest.
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    Even if the sailors deliberately went into Iranian waters (for spying/surveillance etc), it is in Iran's best interest to resolve this as soon as possible. The Bush administration is looking for any reason whatsoever to attack Iran. Here, they might convince Britain to launch a rescue mission, or some sort of an attack, which will surely escalate. An all-out war against Iran would soon be the logical result, with the U.S prominently involved. I believe the Iranian President is a complete nut and would welcome a confrontation. This is a recipe for disaster and I pray that it's resolved before it escalates any further.
    The Bush administration can't afford to go to attack Iran.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

According to a Middle East expert on Sky News this is an Iranian retort for the US is currently holding I believe four Iranian diplomats who were 'captured' in Iraq attempting to create a business network with the Kurdish populace (or something like that). All legal and above board but those guys are currently situated in some Iraqi dungeon, so there is some grievances on the part of the Iranians and it has been suggested that they will attempt to get those men released by offering the British return.

That is one theory, the other one is the British navy were doing things they should not be doing and got what they ‘deserved’.

All very distressing no matter what the real answer is.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Pretty much all reports (except the Iranian ones) suggest that the sailors were in Iraqi waters anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    The Bush administration can't afford to go to attack Iran.
    Not a ground attack, no. But they could certainly launch an air attack on Iran's nuclear targets etc. Now that would almost certainly lead to a regional war in which several countries would be involved. I don't think the Bush administration really agrees with the sentiment of "we can't get into another conflict because the military is stretched too thin". I think the administration believes it can carry out 3 conflicts at once, if need be.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Sounds like a pretext to me...
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Pinball Champion!
    Why on earth were the British Navy in Iranian waters? Seriously, the quicker they get the hell out of, and stay out of, the middle east, the less likely we are to end up in a huge eye for an eye scenario..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    Not a ground attack, no. But they could certainly launch an air attack on Iran's nuclear targets etc. Now that would almost certainly lead to a regional war in which several countries would be involved. I don't think the Bush administration really agrees with the sentiment of "we can't get into another conflict because the military is stretched too thin". I think the administration believes it can carry out 3 conflicts at once, if need be.
    He may have forced clearance for Iraq, but with the eyes of the people and the world on every war-related move by the US these days, there is no way the Bush administration is allowed to declare war on Iran.

Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    Why on earth were the British Navy in Iranian waters? Seriously, the quicker they get the hell out of, and stay out of, the middle east, the less likely we are to end up in a huge eye for an eye scenario..
    They weren't, that's the point.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    They weren't, that's the point.
    Why were they anywhere close? Better off getting out of the entire region, still..

Curveball Champion!
    That's not really the point. I agree that they shouldn't be anywhere near the Middle East, but why should the British soldiers be wary of an nuetral (in technical terms, non other) country?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    I'd be willing to not take what either Government says about this at face value. I'd imagine that they were doing they weren't supposed to and figured it wasn't much of a risk, but got caught out.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information