Page 611 of 634 FirstFirst ... 111511561601609610611612613621 ... LastLast
Results 9,151 to 9,165 of 9496
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What do you look like? Pt III

  1. #9151
    Global Moderator Teja.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    z
    Posts
    5,960
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Yea, it's so weird. 6'0, in a country like India is probably close to two standard deviations above the mean. Which means if you're 6'0, you're around the top ~2.5% of all men in India. That would imply 97.5% of men (or out of 600 million, 585 million) are not 'proper male height' (per Cevno). We talked about the Lake Wobegon effect in the IQ thread, but this is an even bigger extreme.
    Yeah, but, look average height is affected by nutrition right?

    I'd imagine most people who have access to a computer at the age before they start working(<22) in a country like India are also people who come from a ridiculously elitist economic section of the people considering the average per capita income is about Rs. 35-40,000. (700-800 USD per annum)

    Not saying they're directly co-related, that'd be stupid and it certainly wouldn't explain an average height of 6'0 on CW but it makes logical sense that the average height of a CWer is more than the average height of an Indian, on a general level.

    Personally, I'm 6'0(and a half), have about 3-4 guys in 40 more guys in my batch who are the same height or more. However, I'd say the average in my college batch is around 5'8 or so which is still significantly more than the statistical average. This observation is approximately true for my class 12 batch as well. A guy who is 5'4 which is supposedly average would certainly be considered short, to be honest. Again data effected by urban, richness bias.

    It's truly bizarre and I was shocked when I first found out that the average male height in India is 5'4.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams



    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

    It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

  2. #9152
    International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,295
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Yea, it's so weird. 6'0, in a country like India is probably close to two standard deviations above the mean. Which means if you're 6'0, you're around the top ~2.5% of all men in India. That would imply 97.5% of men (or out of 600 million, 585 million) are not 'proper male height' (per Cevno). We talked about the Lake Wobegon effect in the IQ thread, but this is an even bigger extreme.


    EDIT: Though it's obviously undeniable that in America, I'm definitely below average for my age group.
    I think it's actually the opposite of what wikipedia tells me the Lake Wobegon effect is. In places like NZ/Aus/UK 5'8" is no more short than 5'11" is tall, yet 5'11" is barely regarded as average and 5'8" is regarded as short. 6 foot is the equivalent of 5'7" yet one of those is regarded as woefully short and the other fairly standard. Theoretically you've got 90% of the population thinking they are of below average height.

  3. #9153
    International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,295
    fwiw I would say the average height of guys of Indian ethnicity(s) in NZ is maybe like 5'7"? I would imagine they are wealthier than the overall Indian average as well.

  4. #9154
    International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,295
    So yeah, I'm back at CW and so far all I've posted about is height and bowling speed/radar calibration.


  5. #9155
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,355
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    Yeah, but, look average height is affected by nutrition right?

    I'd imagine most people who have access to a computer at the age before they start working(<22) in a country like India are also people who come from a ridiculously elitist economic section of the people considering the average per capita income is about Rs. 35-40,000. (700-800 USD per annum)

    Not saying they're directly co-related, that'd be stupid and it certainly wouldn't explain an average height of 6'0 on CW but it makes logical sense that the average height of a CWer is more than the average height of an Indian, on a general level.

    Personally, I'm 6'0(and a half), have about 3-4 guys in 40 more guys in my batch who are the same height or more. However, I'd say the average in my college batch is around 5'8 or so which is still significantly more than the statistical average. This observation is approximately true for my class 12 batch as well. A guy who is 5'4 which is supposedly average would certainly be considered short, to be honest. Again data effected by urban, richness bias.

    It's truly bizarre and I was shocked when I first found out that the average male height in India is 5'4.
    Oh, absolutely - look at averages in North Korea vs. South Korea. A guy who is 5'5 would be considered short in an affluent urban environment - but that's not representative of the whole country. I just found it interesting re: comment about 'proper male height'.

    It doesn't change the fact that the 'average' is still that low. I didn't come from an affluent 'internet using' background (e.g if I were in India right now, it's doubtful I would have access to the internet) and I was probably only slightly above average (we weren't affluent, but we weren't impoverished either, my parents made about 2000-2200 rupees each back in 1994, which equates to probably 10,000 rupees combined income in 2012? That's well above average.

    TBF, even in your age group and in affluent areas, my guess is that 6'0 is still probably close to a whole standard deviation above the mean.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 19-05-2012 at 06:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  6. #9156
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,355
    Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry View Post
    I think it's actually the opposite of what wikipedia tells me the Lake Wobegon effect is. In places like NZ/Aus/UK 5'8" is no more short than 5'11" is tall, yet 5'11" is barely regarded as average and 5'8" is regarded as short. 6 foot is the equivalent of 5'7" yet one of those is regarded as woefully short and the other fairly standard. Theoretically you've got 90% of the population thinking they are of below average height.
    Yea, I was talking about the fudging going on with self reported heights.

  7. #9157
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    #7Thompson
    Posts
    47,125
    In my age group 5'8 is definitely short. I'm around 5'11 (as a few ****s can verify) and would fall in the bottom half of people my age when sorted by height.
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  8. #9158
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,355
    Well, in the UK, like in the US, I think the average male height is 5'10 or 5'11, so 5'8 would definitely be short. I'd be surprised if 5'11 is in the bottom half of the age group (well, it might be like 45th percentile, e.g technically bottom half) but I would doubt that it's much more below that even for a younger age group. Could be wrong though.

  9. #9159
    International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,295
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Well, in the UK, like in the US, I think the average male height is 5'10 or 5'11, so 5'8 would definitely be short. I'd be surprised if 5'11 is in the bottom half of the age group (well, it might be like 45th percentile, e.g technically bottom half) but I would doubt that it's much more below that even for a younger age group. Could be wrong though.
    It's MAX 5'10" ffs

    See the wiki article, all the MEASURED studies for the UK and US place average at between 5'9" and 5'10 1/2", the 5'10 1/2" being restricted to white males 20-39 (clearly taller than the overall population).
    Last edited by thierry henry; 19-05-2012 at 06:51 AM.

  10. #9160
    International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,295
    I swear I come back here every 6 months or so and find a way to have the same conversations every time.

  11. #9161
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    #7Thompson
    Posts
    47,125
    Yeah I wouldn't consider myself 'short' but id say just about more than half the people my age are taller than me. Throughout school I was in the shortest third in my class though.

  12. #9162
    cpr
    cpr is offline
    Cricketer Of The Year cpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    9,876
    I'm 5ft 9, measured a few weeks ago, would consider myself short. Certainly amongst the males on our team, half are over 6'2.

    My college course, one of the guys is 6'10. Absolute beast
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

  13. #9163
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,355
    Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry View Post
    It's MAX 5'10" ffs

    See the wiki article, all the MEASURED studies for the UK and US place average at between 5'9" and 5'10 1/2", the 5'10 1/2" being restricted to white males 20-39 (clearly taller than the overall population).
    Yea, you are correct.

  14. #9164
    International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,295
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    I'm 5ft 9, measured a few weeks ago, would consider myself short. Certainly amongst the males on our team, half are over 6'2.

    My college course, one of the guys is 6'10. Absolute beast
    Just really goes to emphasize my point that for some reason guys have a reverse bias where they see themselves as short when they aren't. You're no more than an inch below average which is fairly negligible, yet you're more inclined to notice all these guys over 6'2" which is way outside the "average height range".

    I fee like I need to be a height psychologist, so many poor guys out there living in an irrational state of self-loathing.

  15. #9165
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    40,387
    Bear in mind Poms don't lead a very healthy life style as there's so little sun and their diet is rubbish.

    Worth a thought.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •