Page 611 of 634 FirstFirst ... 111511561601609610611612613621 ... LastLast
Results 9,151 to 9,165 of 9496
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What do you look like? Pt III

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Yea, it's so weird. 6'0, in a country like India is probably close to two standard deviations above the mean. Which means if you're 6'0, you're around the top ~2.5% of all men in India. That would imply 97.5% of men (or out of 600 million, 585 million) are not 'proper male height' (per Cevno). We talked about the Lake Wobegon effect in the IQ thread, but this is an even bigger extreme.
    Yeah, but, look average height is affected by nutrition right?

I'd imagine most people who have access to a computer at the age before they start working(<22) in a country like India are also people who come from a ridiculously elitist economic section of the people considering the average per capita income is about Rs. 35-40,000. (700-800 USD per annum)

Not saying they're directly co-related, that'd be stupid and it certainly wouldn't explain an average height of 6'0 on CW but it makes logical sense that the average height of a CWer is more than the average height of an Indian, on a general level.

Personally, I'm 6'0(and a half), have about 3-4 guys in 40 more guys in my batch who are the same height or more. However, I'd say the average in my college batch is around 5'8 or so which is still significantly more than the statistical average. This observation is approximately true for my class 12 batch as well. A guy who is 5'4 which is supposedly average would certainly be considered short, to be honest. Again data effected by urban, richness bias.

It's truly bizarre and I was shocked when I first found out that the average male height in India is 5'4.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Yea, it's so weird. 6'0, in a country like India is probably close to two standard deviations above the mean. Which means if you're 6'0, you're around the top ~2.5% of all men in India. That would imply 97.5% of men (or out of 600 million, 585 million) are not 'proper male height' (per Cevno). We talked about the Lake Wobegon effect in the IQ thread, but this is an even bigger extreme.

EDIT: Though it's obviously undeniable that in America, I'm definitely below average for my age group.
    I think it's actually the opposite of what wikipedia tells me the Lake Wobegon effect is. In places like NZ/Aus/UK 5'8" is no more short than 5'11" is tall, yet 5'11" is barely regarded as average and 5'8" is regarded as short. 6 foot is the equivalent of 5'7" yet one of those is regarded as woefully short and the other fairly standard. Theoretically you've got 90% of the population thinking they are of below average height.

fwiw I would say the average height of guys of Indian ethnicity(s) in NZ is maybe like 5'7"? I would imagine they are wealthier than the overall Indian average as well.

So yeah, I'm back at CW and so far all I've posted about is height and bowling speed/radar calibration.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    Yeah, but, look average height is affected by nutrition right?

I'd imagine most people who have access to a computer at the age before they start working(<22) in a country like India are also people who come from a ridiculously elitist economic section of the people considering the average per capita income is about Rs. 35-40,000. (700-800 USD per annum)

Not saying they're directly co-related, that'd be stupid and it certainly wouldn't explain an average height of 6'0 on CW but it makes logical sense that the average height of a CWer is more than the average height of an Indian, on a general level.

Personally, I'm 6'0(and a half), have about 3-4 guys in 40 more guys in my batch who are the same height or more. However, I'd say the average in my college batch is around 5'8 or so which is still significantly more than the statistical average. This observation is approximately true for my class 12 batch as well. A guy who is 5'4 which is supposedly average would certainly be considered short, to be honest. Again data effected by urban, richness bias.

It's truly bizarre and I was shocked when I first found out that the average male height in India is 5'4.
    Oh, absolutely - look at averages in North Korea vs. South Korea. A guy who is 5'5 would be considered short in an affluent urban environment - but that's not representative of the whole country. I just found it interesting re: comment about 'proper male height'.

It doesn't change the fact that the 'average' is still that low. I didn't come from an affluent 'internet using' background (e.g if I were in India right now, it's doubtful I would have access to the internet) and I was probably only slightly above average (we weren't affluent, but we weren't impoverished either, my parents made about 2000-2200 rupees each back in 1994, which equates to probably 10,000 rupees combined income in 2012? That's well above average.

TBF, even in your age group and in affluent areas, my guess is that 6'0 is still probably close to a whole standard deviation above the mean.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 19-05-2012 at 06:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry View Post
    I think it's actually the opposite of what wikipedia tells me the Lake Wobegon effect is. In places like NZ/Aus/UK 5'8" is no more short than 5'11" is tall, yet 5'11" is barely regarded as average and 5'8" is regarded as short. 6 foot is the equivalent of 5'7" yet one of those is regarded as woefully short and the other fairly standard. Theoretically you've got 90% of the population thinking they are of below average height.
    Yea, I was talking about the fudging going on with self reported heights.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    In my age group 5'8 is definitely short. I'm around 5'11 (as a few ****s can verify) and would fall in the bottom half of people my age when sorted by height.
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Well, in the UK, like in the US, I think the average male height is 5'10 or 5'11, so 5'8 would definitely be short. I'd be surprised if 5'11 is in the bottom half of the age group (well, it might be like 45th percentile, e.g technically bottom half) but I would doubt that it's much more below that even for a younger age group. Could be wrong though.

Well, in the UK, like in the US, I think the average male height is 5'10 or 5'11, so 5'8 would definitely be short. I'd be surprised if 5'11 is in the bottom half of the age group (well, it might be like 45th percentile, e.g technically bottom half) but I would doubt that it's much more below that even for a younger age group. Could be wrong though.
    It's MAX 5'10" ffs

See the wiki article, all the MEASURED studies for the UK and US place average at between 5'9" and 5'10 1/2", the 5'10 1/2" being restricted to white males 20-39 (clearly taller than the overall population).
    Last edited by thierry henry; 19-05-2012 at 06:51 AM.

I swear I come back here every 6 months or so and find a way to have the same conversations every time.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Yeah I wouldn't consider myself 'short' but id say just about more than half the people my age are taller than me. Throughout school I was in the shortest third in my class though.

cpr
    I'm 5ft 9, measured a few weeks ago, would consider myself short. Certainly amongst the males on our team, half are over 6'2.

My college course, one of the guys is 6'10. Absolute beast
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry View Post
    It's MAX 5'10" ffs

See the wiki article, all the MEASURED studies for the UK and US place average at between 5'9" and 5'10 1/2", the 5'10 1/2" being restricted to white males 20-39 (clearly taller than the overall population).
    Yea, you are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    I'm 5ft 9, measured a few weeks ago, would consider myself short. Certainly amongst the males on our team, half are over 6'2.

My college course, one of the guys is 6'10. Absolute beast
    Just really goes to emphasize my point that for some reason guys have a reverse bias where they see themselves as short when they aren't. You're no more than an inch below average which is fairly negligible, yet you're more inclined to notice all these guys over 6'2" which is way outside the "average height range".

I fee like I need to be a height psychologist, so many poor guys out there living in an irrational state of self-loathing.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Bear in mind Poms don't lead a very healthy life style as there's so little sun and their diet is rubbish.

Worth a thought.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Thread Information