Page 611 of 634 FirstFirst ... 111511561601609610611612613621 ... LastLast
Results 9,151 to 9,165 of 9503
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: What do you look like? Pt III

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry View Post
    Pretty sure height is a trait which can be measured across a decent sample size and a decent approximation of an average can accordingly be reached, tbh.
    This is the kind of stats-based navel gazing wankfest which leads to people thinking Kallis is a great batsman.

Everyone knows the average Englishman looks like a cross between a mid-90s Gatting and Allan Knott. The average Australian looks something like a cross between a 1940s Keith Miller and Hugh Jackman. Fact.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Just really goes to emphasize my point that for some reason guys have a reverse bias where they see themselves as short when they aren't. You're no more than an inch below average which is fairly negligible, yet you're more inclined to notice all these guys over 6'2" which is way outside the "average height range".

I fee like I need to be a height psychologist, so many poor guys out there living in an irrational state of self-loathing.
    You seem to be dealing in overall average height which is completely irrelevant to whether someone considers themselves short, Im taller than my dad but he probably sits in the same percentile as I do when it comes to age group

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    This is the kind of stats-based navel gazing wankfest which leads to people thinking Kallis is a great batsman.

Everyone knows the average Englishman looks like a cross between a mid-90s Gatting and Allan Knott. The average Australian looks something like a cross between a 1940s Keith Miller and Hugh Jackman. Fact.
    Fair enough then, I can certainly cop the argument that batting isn't defined by runs more readily than the argument that height isn't defined by height

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    You seem to be dealing in overall average height which is completely irrelevant to whether someone considers themselves short

How else are you defining whether you are tall or short than by comparing yourself to the average of the people around you?

If you're referring to your age group being taller than others, as I said, studies indicate the slightly taller average of 5'10 1/2", but that's only if you exclude other ethnicities (who are pretty much all shorter than white d00ds).

Fair enough then, I can certainly cop the argument that batting isn't defined by runs more readily than the argument that height isn't defined by height
    I don't think you're following what I'm saying. Having been to England, the average male there is short, pasty, unhealthy and has bad teeth. Often they are bald. Fact. People can put down in whatever survey they like that they're however tall - I've been there four times mate. Walked around London, Leeds, Liverpool, York.

Pretty ****ing fair sample size if you ask me.

People can put down in whatever survey they like that they're however tall
    They didn't, they were measured. Jeez, height-measuring isn't quite rocket science.

FWIW I've walked around Sydney, Melbourne, Auckland, Wellington, Hamilton etc. Nothing swayed me from the general belief that average male height was around 5'9"-5'10" as it is indeed well known to be in Australia, NZ and.....the UK.

If you're suggesting the midget Poms conspired to fabricate a study in order to seem as tall as the rest of us then.....ok. No skin off my nose, just makes GIMH even more of a liar about his so-called strapping countrymen

How else are you defining whether you are tall or short than by comparing yourself to the average of the people around you?

If you're referring to your age group being taller than others, as I said, studies indicate the slightly taller average of 5'10 1/2", but that's only if you exclude other ethnicities (who are pretty much all shorter than white d00ds).
    Got a link to these studies mate?

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Got a link to these studies mate?
    Human height - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can start from the table there if you're so inclined.

Thanks

Can we also start a club where we discuss height related issues? I also recommend Celebrity Heights - How tall are Celebrities

They didn't, they were measured. Jeez, height-measuring isn't quite rocket science.
    Did they measure them with NZ or English radar guns?

Did they measure them with NZ or English radar guns?
    Well tbf this might back GIMH's point, the English guns of late tend towards under-estimation.

Can we also start a club where we discuss height related issues? I also recommend Celebrity Heights - How tall are Celebrities
    **** me, I'm the same height as Gordon Ramsey, Russell Brand & Saddam Hussein.

Weird, cos I'd have said Brand was much taller than the other two.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't think that they'll come close to us to be honest."
    - Steve Smith before the Ashes

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Reckon there's a fair bit of this going on in England to be honest:

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

"There's more chance of SoC making a good post than Smith averaging 99.95." - Furball

"**** you're such a **** poster." - Furball

Thread Information