Page 394 of 634 FirstFirst ... 294344384392393394395396404444494 ... LastLast
Results 5,896 to 5,910 of 9496
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What do you look like? Pt III

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Not sure if this is the right thread, but Im going to try and take this as a compliment. The people I work with are the academic elite (not that Im saying I am) and very professional. Ive just found out today that a group of my female co-workers call me 'MAB'. It stands for Manly and British. That has to be a compliment right? Im trying to figure out if there can be a bad meaning to it.

Obviously Im married so Im not interested in anyone but Id love to know if that is insulting or a compliment.
    "Manly and British" - gotta be an oxymoron, surely....
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Well Im British in accent only now.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Not sure if this is the right thread, but Im going to try and take this as a compliment. The people I work with are the academic elite (not that Im saying I am) and very professional. Ive just found out today that a group of my female co-workers call me 'MAB'. It stands for Manly and British. That has to be a compliment right? Im trying to figure out if there can be a bad meaning to it.

Obviously Im married so Im not interested in anyone but Id love to know if that is insulting or a compliment.
    Hmmmmm........ in any other context, perhaps. But in working with academic types, it does sound like a way to be insulting in a nice way. If you're smart, you're a rival. So the way to affect others' perceptions of your intelligence would be to make sure people focus in on your machismo than your brains. Depends on the context. Toughy.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Manly and British....prob my two most hated sporting teams, definetly an insult.
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

If it's an extremely professional work enviroment, I'd take a guess at it being a snide insult. But it really all depends on your relationship with those using it imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Hmmmmm........ in any other context, perhaps. But in working with academic types, it does sound like a way to be insulting in a nice way. If you're smart, you're a rival. So the way to affect others' perceptions of your intelligence would be to make sure people focus in on your machismo than your brains. Depends on the context. Toughy.
    No way - that's over thinking it way too much. It's definitely a compliment.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    No way - that's over thinking it way too much. It's definitely a compliment.
    Well, considering he's a good-looking rugby type, I'm tempted to agree with you in general. Just allowing for the possibility in bitchy work environments.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Yeah, there is certainly that aspect. Id rather focus on my capabilities than my build and personality (which is certainly different to many of the guys I work with). There are times when it would be easier to get professional recognition if I was 5'7" and weighed 70 kg.

Quote Originally Posted by Clapo View Post
    If it's an extremely professional work enviroment, I'd take a guess at it being a snide insult. But it really all depends on your relationship with those using it imo.
    It comes from a core of women approx 22-35 and seems to be used in a social environment. IMO, its a tough one. Ive been assured it isnt bad, but I doubt they would claim otherwise.

I dont help my case by having my life outside work revolve around sport, drinking and the gym but that is who I am.
    Last edited by Goughy; 30-06-2009 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ripper868 View Post
    Manly and British....prob my two most hated sporting teams, definetly an insult.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen

Compliment for mine.

Think we're viewed still as effete, snippy, slightly chippy arseholes* (or assholes stateside, I suppose) and a lot of the academics who've crossed over into popular culture (Dawkins, Starkey, Schama, etc) do little to rebutt this.

You being obviously heterosexual and speaking with a Yorkshire accent is probably a novelty for them.

* see below...

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

I was going to put my female two pence in here... but reading through it seems as if most of CW's male experts on the female psyche have already answered your question...so I shall remain silent...
    And I recall my fall from grace, another time another place..

Pinball Champion!
    Yeah compliment for mine, after all, if it wasn't for British men, there wouldn't be any bitchy American secretaries..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Compliment for mine.

Think we're viewed still as effete, snippy, slightly chippy arseholes* (or assholes stateside, I suppose) and a lot of the academics who've crossed over into popular culture (Dawkins, Starkey, Schama, etc) do little to rebutt this.

You being obviously heterosexual and speaking with a Yorkshire accent is probably a novelty for them.

* see below...
    Dawkins is the man. Take it back!

I'm not sure of that stereotype actually, most people in my experience view the British more as uptight and condescending. Not sure about the snippy, effete thing, but I wouldn't be surprised if the stereotypes vary depending on the which region you're in - the deep south and the northeast have very little in common.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Dawkins is the man. Take it back!

I'm not sure of that stereotype actually, most people in my experience view the British more as uptight and condescending. Not sure about the snippy, effete thing, but I wouldn't be surprised if the stereotypes vary depending on the which region you're in - the deep south and the northeast have very little in common.
    Yeah, dealing with the broadest of brushes, obv. I mean football hooliganism is also known as The English Disease and you're probably more likely to be stabbed by a grubby chav than assailed by a chinless wonder, but I think the uptightness feeds into our reputation for being effete. Because, unlike the latin nations, we aren't constantly pinching women's arses we're somehow viewed as less straight by them.

Dunno if you saw Dawkins's series on God (or lack thereof), but he definitely came across as chippy for mine. Very hectoring of his subjects when all he really needed to do was give them enough rope to hang themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Dunno if you saw Dawkins's series on God (or lack thereof), but he definitely came across as chippy for mine. Very hectoring of his subjects when all he really needed to do was give them enough rope to hang themselves.
    Which one is that?

This here is pretty much Standard Dawkins, I've found.

Thread Information