Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Website Help Needed!

Pinball Champion!

Website Help Needed!

I'm trying to market myself as a photographer and have been interested in setting up a website, ie www.richardhingston.com

However, I do not know the first thing when it comes to designing/building/maintaining a website.. Obviously I would need space to hold my image portfolio and someone to host that..

So where do I start? Do I have to learn HTML in order to build a proper website, or are there more intuitive alternatives these days?

Help much appreciated
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Banned
    There is a few people around these traps that know a few things more than some people know!

James obviously and Manan Shah(Silentstriker)(Website Developer) contact these guys as they are probably going to give you some really sound advice.

I doubt you could learn ASP or Coldfusion so obviously HTML is the only alternative.

Im interested in this sort of stuff btw as this is what I want to get into once I leave school!

No need to know html or php. You can get website templates which you can customise. Alternatively you could try and find a kind soul to make one for you.
    There's plenty of free hosting around if you don't mind ads, otherwise you'll have to pay for something.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by barmyarmy View Post
    No need to know html or php. You can get website templates which you can customise. Alternatively you could try and find a kind soul to make one for you.
    There's plenty of free hosting around if you don't mind ads, otherwise you'll have to pay for something.
    Cool, do they come part of a program, do you download these templates?

Was wondering if to register a .co.za or .com domain.. I guess .com is international but probably costs more.. Even so, I've been quoted for only R100 a year with a dot com, seems very reasonable, does hosting cost a lot more?

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    I made a website for a doctor once. Paid Yahoo! for a cheap domain name and hosted the website on Tripod.com. I had to pay them USD 4.95 a month so there won't be any ads and I get extra bandwidth and disk space.

I used simple HTML and CSS coding to create the site but as BarmyArmy said you can just get a template if you don't know how. Learning html and css can be easy but time consuming. Might be worth it to learn a bit about it through online tutorials.
    RIP Craigos

International Captain Loony BoB's Avatar
    Depends on how savvy you want to make your website. HTML is all good and well but if you're looking for an extremely professional look (and you're unable to hire someone to help you out) then I would go for something more akin to a PHP-based software similar to that of vBulletin forums etc, which is customisable on a lot of levels and still allows for a lot of interactivity.

There's also the big question as to exactly what you want to put on your site. Your index page - what do you want browsers to see first? Do you want a news area? I can only assume you want a photography display system. Since you'll be the only one contributing towards the photos (ie, it won't be an open domain for people to upload to) you don't need as many features, this means there is a lot of software that you can get for free which should suit you (we tested about ten different kinds a few years ago at EoFF when putting up an fanart gallery and found most were directed towards individual artists rather than community picture uploading). Whatever other pages you want - be it details of how to contact you, a bio if you want, hopefully you can eventually have some sort of feedback page with comments from those you've worked for... stuff like this would be helpful, but I'm still unaware of exactly what you're after so you'd need to elaborate more before you can be told your best route. Another big issue is how often you'll need to update each page, as it's far easier to create pages that never change (fixed) rather than pages that do change often (eg. photography gallery). I always suggest software with a frontend for things that aren't fixed as it's a pain to recode every time you want to update a page.

.co.za or .com don't really matter if you're going to be based in South Africa. .com is only useful if you're targeting a global audience, but I imagine you won't be travelling overseas that often. However, if you intend on travelling to more than one country - even if it's in a few years - you should stick to a single domain as that way you can simply change your address to, for example, a UK address and start advertising to your new audience immediately.
    REMEMBER: A couple of years in therapy, you'll get over it.

Proud to be a member of the CW Colts

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Buying my .co.uk domain name cost me £6 for 2 years.
    Buying hosting cost me £20 for 2 years.

Designed mine in Frontpage which is a combination of 'point and click' and needing to know some HTML.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Don't forget I'm offering hosting on our server guys. Am already hosting nine sites for people

If anyone is interested, get in touch.

richardhingston.cricketweb.net ?

No, own domain name, all that CPanel has to offer, etc.

Chopper Challenge Champion! Roulette Champion!
    what the? i thought you were a pilot, hingston. explain.
    "Matt Damon"

Banned
    Domain and Hosting are totally different things

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Sometimes though if you host somewhere you have to have their name in your domain. Easiest example is something like 'www.geocities.com/insertsitenamehere'.

Banned
    Oh but those are free domain names.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matteh View Post
    Sometimes though if you host somewhere you have to have their name in your domain. Easiest example is something like 'www.geocities.com/insertsitenamehere'.
    You can use geocities for hosting but use a .com domain name for it. Example (completely dire I know, but its what they wanted). The website is being hosted on tripod but you won't see their name anywhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information