Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Current Affair and Today Tonight: How low can they go?

A Current Affair and Today Tonight: How low can they go?

Haha, Frontline anyone?

Chain stunt truth unlocked

A Today Tonight reporter will learn his fate today after a stunt, involving an 84-year-old grandmother chaining herself up in a nursing home, forced the show to apologise for misleading viewers.

On Tuesday night, the current affairs show's host Anna Coren had told viewers about an "extraordinary situation that's reached boiling point".

"As we go to air tonight, this 84-year-old grandmother remains locked up in her nursing home room chained to a cupboard. So what has she done to deserve this?"

As Coren introduced reporter Nicolas Boot's story, viewers were shown footage of the chained-up woman standing in her room with the aid of two walking sticks.

The only catch was that Boot himself had brought the chains along to the woman's aged-care facility, something he failed to mention in his report.

But such was the shocking nature of the story that the following morning the federal Department of Health and Ageing sent officers to her Willoughby retirement facility to investigate.

"Once pictures were aired with a resident chained up, naturally the department sent officials to the home to ensure that the resident was safe and well and that her rights weren't being infringed," Malcolm Cole, a spokesman for the Minister for Ageing, Santo Santoro, told theage.com.au.

It was only then that Today Tonight's story started to unravel.

"When they arrived there, the lady wasn't chained up," Mr Cole said.

"As I understand it, the department officers asked her where the chains were and she advised that the television crew had brought them and then taken them away again."

Last night Coren was forced to make an on-air apology, blaming the stuff-up on Boot's unfortunate creative initiative.

"Now we need to set the record straight," she said.

"Last night we featured a report on 84-year-old Shirley Frey, a nursing home resident locked in a battle with the operators of the home. That battle continues.

"We reported that Shirley was living chained to her room. In fact, this is not the case.

"Today Tonight reporter Nicolas Boot took the chain with him to illustrate the fact Shirley felt like a prisoner in her room.

"We regret the actions of this journalist and are investigating the matter internally.

"We apologise to our viewers if you felt misled."

A profile about Boot on Today Tonight's website says: "Nicolas has spent much of his reporting career exposing scams and making people accountable for their actions."

But it might be Boot himself who is held accountable for his latest story.

Channel Seven's head of news and current affairs, Peter Meakin, said Boot had made a "bad call" and the network did not tolerate such conduct.

He said the reporter would be given a chance to explain himself today and a decision on his future employment with Today Tonight would be known soon.

"When we found out what had happened, we decided to come clean with our audience because they're the people we have our first responsibility to," Mr Meakin said.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    That's ****ing terrible. Those shows really make me feel ill sometimes. It's the absolute bottom of humanity.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    Typical Australian journalisim tbh, I'd hardly say it's a shock but it doesnt make it any less disturbing...

Cricket Web Content Updater alternative's Avatar
    Actually saw that today and i hate the program with a passion.
    Member of the AAAS
    Member of CW Green | Stedingham Jets Grade Cricket Team | Northside Power

Manager of South Australia (WCC)

Winner of AFL Tipping 2006 | Winner of Wimbeldon Prediction 2006

Great news for all involved.

Well look what happened last week.

Every week or 2nd week is about the latest 'fashion and way's to save money when buying stuff on-line etc'., it is nothing more then a tacky editing and re-wording.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Worst ****ing shows
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Hahahahahahaahahahahaha
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    Hahahahahahaahahahahaha
    Haha yeah, my reaction exactley, I didn't react in shock or horror, I just started laughing heaps.

When you consistently make A Current Affair look like a classy, up-market show, you have to know that you're scraping bottom.

Some of the stuff that Today Tonight pulls would never have made it onto Frontline because they would have thought it was too stupid even for a satire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Banned
    Shocking from Today Tonight.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    It was kind of ironic that A Current Affair jumped all over it and tried to make a joke out of poor journalism. We must only be a weekend away from the next Muslim story...or a "The Sharks Are Coming To Get Us". No, hang on, that was last night!
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    Another reason why I'm glad I don't live in Australia anymore (no offence to all you aussies).

ABC's Media Watch is an excellent counterpoint to TT's garbage though. Shame no-one watches the ABC
    Member of the Newtown Cricket Club since January '06 - "Per commissum ad taberna"
    Honorary Vice-President of the "Twenty20 Is Boring Society"

Quote Originally Posted by 16 tins of Spam View Post
    Another reason why I'm glad I don't live in Australia anymore (no offence to all you aussies).

ABC's Media Watch is an excellent counterpoint to TT's garbage though. Shame no-one watches the ABC
    If Little Britian is back on, I watch.

International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    ABC's ratings dropped significantly after I left the country.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information