32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Khan

13 40.63%
  • Big B

19 59.38%
Page 5 of 75 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Indian Subcontinent Cinema Thread

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Any of you watched Iqbal, the most sikkest movie ever. I just can't get over it, I've watched it like 7 times literally... IMO it is arguably the best cricket movie ever.

C_C
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    And Dilip isn't ? Common I have never known anyone(other than you) that rates RajKapoor/Ashok Kumar better actors than Dilip Kumar. Of the list you mentioned, only Sanjeev Kumar is better than him.
    Well this board is the only place i've heard or read that rates Dilip Kumar ahead of Ashok or Raj Kapoor. Those two, particularly Ashok, were renowned for being trailbreakers and superb actors in their day. IMO, Ashok's reputation gets shafted the most, simply because when Ashok took lead roles, his typical role was that of a suited-up young bright lad in the government office rather than a hero wallopping an entire army by himself. Also, he was i think the very first major lead actor in India - 1930s and 40s i think, when people were less interested in movies given the political climate of the world and especially the subcontinent. Also, his movies,like Howrah Bridge and all, are extremely rarely screened in the past 20-30 years.
    Most remember Ashok as an old guy playing the role of the Hero's father or uncle or something. My grandpa used to be a big fan of Ashok and had several of his B&W movies...i honestly think that Ashok was one of the best ever actors to grace the screen.

International Regular cricketboy29's Avatar
    Not to showcase my ignorance or anything, but I don't seem to remember any of Ashok Kumar's hits, was he 30s-40s then? Because I remember Dillip Kumar as being great, my dad being a big fan of him, possibly because they have the same name, but yeah Ashok Kumar, whose he?
    Member of CW RED

Queensland-Season 7 OD Champions

Currently Managing: NSW

Rahul Dravid: A Real Legend.

Quote Originally Posted by cricket player
    damn mods are more agressive then the teacher's in school that i have'
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieDominance
    *Sigh* what's the dev league got itself into.

C_C

International Regular cricketboy29's Avatar
    Ah,k. I've seen Khubsoorat, who was he in that?. Was he the father?. This is the one with Rekha right?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
    Any of you watched Iqbal, the most sikkest movie ever. I just can't get over it, I've watched it like 7 times literally... IMO it is arguably the best cricket movie ever.
    Yes, one of the best Indian movies of all time. I absolutely love it.

Cricket Web Content Updater alternative's Avatar
    I actually have never heard about this movie, but i just gathered myself to see few short clips of the movie. Looks quite decent to me.
    Member of the AAAS
    Member of CW Green | Stedingham Jets Grade Cricket Team | Northside Power

Manager of South Australia (WCC)

Winner of AFL Tipping 2006 | Winner of Wimbeldon Prediction 2006

Quote Originally Posted by C_C View Post
    Well this board is the only place i've heard or read that rates Dilip Kumar ahead of Ashok or Raj Kapoor.
    As actors, I guess you will find it very rare that anyone would rate either of the two better than Dilip Kumar. Doesn't mean they were crap but just that they were not as good as Dilip.

Those two, particularly Ashok, were renowned for being trailbreakers and superb actors in their day. IMO, Ashok's reputation gets shafted the most, simply because when Ashok took lead roles, his typical role was that of a suited-up young bright lad in the government office rather than a hero wallopping an entire army by himself. Also, he was i think the very first major lead actor in India - 1930s and 40s i think, when people were less interested in movies given the political climate of the world and especially the subcontinent. Also, his movies,like Howrah Bridge and all, are extremely rarely screened in the past 20-30 years.
    He may have been all that and I totally agree with you on that but I dont think it proves your claim in anyway that he was a better actor than Dilip Kumar.

Most remember Ashok as an old guy playing the role of the Hero's father or uncle or something. My grandpa used to be a big fan of Ashok and had several of his B&W movies...i honestly think that Ashok was one of the best ever actors to grace the screen.
    Actually I am a big fan of Ashoke Kumar and I have watched a lot of movies starting from Bandhan, Jhoola, Chal chal re Naujawan, Kismet, Mahal, Chalti Ka Naam Gaadi, Bhai bhai, Bandini, Jewel thief, vicotria no. 203 (thanks to DD) etc and a lof of stuff that was made after 1970s including his TV serieal Humlog. So No My exp. is not based on watching him as Dada/Nana in his later movies.

I really have no objection if you think of him as better than Dilip Kumar, but Ashok/RK are not 'Usually Rated' better than Dilip Kumar. And to claim that actors like Patekar, Kher etc are better than Dilip is just not right. And I have watched every one of Patekar's/Kher's movie.

Quote Originally Posted by alternative View Post
    I actually have never heard about this movie, but i just gathered myself to see few short clips of the movie. Looks quite decent to me.
    If you are a cricket fan, you will like it. It's very good.

i guess u dont like lagaan!

But, seriously, iqbal is amazing...good acting and realism in terms of the cricket played thse days in india! Impressive!

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nishant View Post
    i guess u dont like lagaan!

But, seriously, iqbal is amazing...good acting and realism in terms of the cricket played thse days in india! Impressive!
    No, no I loved Lagaan, but Iqbal's simplicity topped it.

C_C
    And to claim that actors like Patekar, Kher etc are better than Dilip is just not right. And I have watched every one of Patekar's/Kher's movie.
    I may be willing to reconsider Patekar (though he was brilliant in the roles he was typecast into) but Kher i rate very highly simply because he is just about the most versatile actor in bollywood and the only one who i can think of who was as versatile in roles as well as doing supporting roles so well was Javed Jaffri.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    As actors, I guess you will find it very rare that anyone would rate either of the two better than Dilip Kumar. Doesn't mean they were crap but just that they were not as good as Dilip.

I really have no objection if you think of him as better than Dilip Kumar, but Ashok/RK are not 'Usually Rated' better than Dilip Kumar. And to claim that actors like Patekar, Kher etc are better than Dilip is just not right. And I have watched every one of Patekar's/Kher's movie.
    That's a good way to summarize it. No one is doubting that both Ashok Kumar and RK were good/great actors. It's just that the majority opinion, not just confined to a few posters on CW, is that Dilip was better. Not everyone would agree with that opinion obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by C_C View Post
    I may be willing to reconsider Patekar (though he was brilliant in the roles he was typecast into) but Kher i rate very highly simply because he is just about the most versatile actor in bollywood and the only one who i can think of who was as versatile in roles as well as doing supporting roles so well was Javed Jaffri.
    Did you mean Saeed Jaffrey ? I hope you did.

Kher is very good actor but no match for Dilip Kumar or Saeed JAffery. Kher hasn't done himself any favor by picking up roles where he is limited to bafoonery, he doesn't have the grace of a Saeed Jaffery ,Who is one of the best you will ever see. I have watched so many of his(Jaffrey's) movies and in different roles, he is just amazing..Watch 'Chasme Baddoor' for his role as the 'Paan-Cigarette Wala' and you will know how good he is/was. At least for me, every Paan wala is Lallan Mian, since I watched that movie. There are some other movies as well, Masoom Shatranj Ke Khilari etc where he got to show his acting skills but overall this great actor has been wasted by Bollywood.

Ps :- A lot depends on the director as well and I guess Kher has not got enough opportunity to show his talent except for his early days where he acted in Saransh etc.
    Last edited by Sanz; 23-02-2007 at 09:53 AM.

I don't watch bollywood movies, but that one song from bas ek pal, called tere bin, is one of the hottest hindi songs i have ever heard in my life

Page 5 of 75 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread Information