Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 431

Thread: rate the avatars!

  1. #46
    International Vice-Captain 33/3from3.3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Hell In A Cell
    Posts
    4,378
    5/10. Not knowing what ground it is.
    Maria - Due December

    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    "So this is what it feels like to be on top of a batsmen".
    RIP Fardin Qayummi - 15th April 2006

  2. #47
    C_C
    C_C is offline
    International Captain C_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    World
    Posts
    6,990
    However, there is no doubt that it is being displayed either to ruffle some feathers or to get someone to blow up at him, giving him the opportunity to give a response like the one you just did.
    And i am telling you that you have no reason to think that.
    The poster concerned is a subcontinental dude, from a culture where its second nature to display the swastika.
    Your line of thought, : 'no doubt that this is being displayed to ruffle some feathers' is fundamentally skewed towards associating the swastika with the nazis.

    Your entire spiel about psychoanalysing one's motives is utter BS, given the fact that in our culture, the swastika display is common and furthermore, nobody displayed a nazi swastika but a cutesy traditional one with dots and soft arms.
    What i am trying to tell you is that your categorisation of 'oh swastika = must be looking for a response' is utterly self centred and myopic and totally WWII oriented.

    FYI, the reason i displayed it in the past is because i want the unfair stigmatization of the swastika to stop in the west and raising awareness of its traditional and historical role helps.

    Furthermore, as far as I know the Phoenix Fire is not Hindu.
    Irrelevant really - hindus, buddhists, sikhs,jains and sometimes even christians in the subcontinent and far east use it.

  3. #48
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Quote Originally Posted by C_C View Post
    And i am telling you that you have no reason to think that.
    The poster concerned is a subcontinental dude, from a culture where its second nature to display the swastika.
    Your line of thought, : 'no doubt that this is being displayed to ruffle some feathers' is fundamentally skewed towards associating the swastika with the nazis.

    Your entire spiel about psychoanalysing one's motives is utter BS, given the fact that in our culture, the swastika display is common and furthermore, nobody displayed a nazi swastika but a cutesy traditional one with dots and soft arms.
    What i am trying to tell you is that your categorisation of 'oh swastika = must be looking for a response' is utterly self centred and myopic and totally WWII oriented.

    FYI, the reason i displayed it in the past is because i want the unfair stigmatization of the swastika to stop in the west and raising awareness of its traditional and historical role helps.
    Ok, your still not understanding my initial post. Doing my best to not sound condescending and what will probably be the last post on the issue since dealing with you is highly grating.

    My initial post gave PF a 0/10 because he was doing something that you had already done, which as you say you wanted "the unfair stigmatization of the swastika to stop in the west and raising awareness of its traditional and historical role helps." Now I and probably everyone else realised what you were doing at the time. I know the basic history of the symbol and am not offended by it. However my poor rating of PF avatar was because he is attempting to do something (ie stimulate discussion etc) that you had already done. (That is my assumption anyway).

    I called it controversial because it is. I didn’t say it was wrong, that is not what controversial means. I would think that you wanted (a couple of months back) someone to go off at you for having a nazi symbol and you would then go on about how its not, thus the education. That in my books is ‘controversial’. Again, I’m not saying that there is anything wrong with it, but the fact that it had already been done lead to 'negative' my comment earlier about the avatar.

    I'm not sure how I can make this any clearer for you. I know that you wanted to educated people on the origins of the symbol but you didn’t have the chance as no one said anything to you about it, I think you're using this opportunity to finally speak about the issue, however you've completely misread the situation. Perhaps I should have worded my initial post better, saving us all the trouble.
    Last edited by pasag; 09-02-2007 at 01:45 AM.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

  4. #49
    International Captain luffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    ****
    Posts
    5,356
    9/10


  5. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,746
    10/10

  6. #51
    International Captain luffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    ****
    Posts
    5,356
    1/10

  7. #52
    Hall of Fame Member Johnners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18,928
    7/10, quality Lee jump
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

  8. #53
    International Captain luffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    ****
    Posts
    5,356
    8/10, good cars.

  9. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,746
    Changed judgement 0/10

  10. #55
    International Vice-Captain 33/3from3.3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Hell In A Cell
    Posts
    4,378
    3/10 who is it?

  11. #56
    Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
    Posts
    19,370
    4/10. Whats DX?
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, N Broom, Craig Cachopa, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, I Sodhi, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

  12. #57
    Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
    Posts
    19,370
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ok, your still not understanding my initial post. Doing my best to not sound condescending and what will probably be the last post on the issue since dealing with you is highly grating.


    TBH, when I first saw C_C with the symbol as his avatar I thought "Oh, the ancient Hindu symbol. I wonder if anyone who doesn't know that will ask why he has a NAZIism avatar" so I have to agree with Pasag here (though he could've worded his original post better).


    C_C You're trying to create a debate out of nothing. If you want to educate, or have a debate, I am genuinely interested in the origins of the Aryan "race" and connections to the subcontinental area. Though this is probably not the best place to discuss it.
    Do you have MSN? Or would you rather email?

  13. #58
    Hall of Fame Member steds's Avatar
    Breakout Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    ****ing cold and ****ing wet
    Posts
    17,200
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    0/10.


    Oh avatars? Thought we were ranking members.

  14. #59
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,426
    Re the swastika thing:

    It was done in these two messages from the Galloway thread from September last year:
    http://www.forum.cricketweb.net/show...3&postcount=62

    http://www.forum.cricketweb.net/show...7&postcount=64
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

    Is Cam White, Is Good.

  15. #60
    Cricket Web Content Updater alternative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    11,113
    Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    4/10. Whats DX?
    Something you should have a look at

    Anyway ^ 8/10 as i think Rock is good.
    Last edited by alternative; 09-02-2007 at 06:56 AM.
    Member of the AAAS
    Member of CW Green | Stedingham Jets Grade Cricket Team | Northside Power

    Manager of South Australia (WCC)

    Winner of AFL Tipping 2006 | Winner of Wimbeldon Prediction 2006

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Rate This Series
    By open365 in forum Ashes 2006/07
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 20-01-2007, 09:54 AM
  2. Sim a match
    By Pratters in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 342
    Last Post: 31-12-2006, 03:03 PM
  3. The avatars
    By Dravid in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 20-10-2006, 07:43 PM
  4. Replies: 36
    Last Post: 16-10-2006, 04:06 AM
  5. Trade: TN Players available
    By jaganjai in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-09-2002, 07:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •