Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long Distance Relationships

Pinball Champion!

Long Distance Relationships

Anyone involved in one like me? How do you deal with it? How far apart are you? How regularly do you make contact?

Me and my girlfriend have to put up with 8,500 miles of distance these days, see each other about every two months, and it sucks, but I think its worth it..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Just think, when you do get to see her it will feel even better.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Pinball Champion!
    True, but I've got three years of on off on off.. Hope the absence doesnt make things go stale..

Think we are pretty set on moving to SA or New Zealand afterwards, so that would be ace

C_C
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    Anyone involved in one like me? How do you deal with it? How far apart are you? How regularly do you make contact?

Me and my girlfriend have to put up with 8,500 miles of distance these days, see each other about every two months, and it sucks, but I think its worth it..
    Not worth it.
    And it will eventually die unless your 'long distance relationship' is gonna last a short while (ie, few months) and then you'r back to physical contact.
    Simply because as time go, people start to grow apart when they are, well, apart!

I was in one 7 years ago and it didn't work out- we were 1500 miles apart and i used to call her/she used to call me every other day.

Ouch man.

My girlfriend lives in sydney, so its about 800km apart, which, compared to 8,500 miles, seems kind of small. I think we handle it all right, because we've always lived apart, so we don't have the experience of extended time together.

Good luck to you though, i hope you both get through it.
    ďAnd God came down from the heavens, and he said unto the chicken, "Thou shalt cross the road."And the chicken crossed the road. And the people rejoiced, all across the land.

Australia's Only FairDinkum News Site - www.xenoxnews.com
    -------------------------------------------------

man...i havent had one but i can imagine that they r really hard to maintain

Heading up to Wellington at the end of this month to catch up with a girl I met in my town (she's from here) just before Christmas - if it goes well, I might look for work there. Otherwise, I'd say we won't bother.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Clocking up 3 years on a fairly long distance relationship. Though we've been able to spend more time with each other in the last few years (up to months at a up) compared to a week every month when we were first together.

It's all about communication. Too much communication and it all falls apart
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by C_C View Post
    Not worth it.
    And it will eventually die unless your 'long distance relationship' is gonna last a short while (ie, few months) and then you'r back to physical contact.
    Simply because as time go, people start to grow apart when they are, well, apart!.
    Interesting, we see each other every two months for a few weeks.. And I don't believe your last statement, we became closer when I was in SA last time, no doubt about that.. I think absence can make the heart grow fonder, perhaps Im just being too optimistic.. We've been nearly two years, so I don't see how it can suddenly become "not worth trying"

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    Clocking up 3 years on a fairly long distance relationship. Though we've been able to spend more time with each other in the last few years (up to months at a up) compared to a week every month when we were first together.

It's all about communication. Too much communication and it all falls apart

Why do you say that? (I'm not disagreeing, just wondering what you mean by that).. The way I look at it, you can never have enough communication because that provides reassurance, and for me at least, quite a bit of happiness..

I think he's just taking the proverbial to an extent.

The way I look at it, you can never have enough communication because that provides reassurance, and for me at least, quite a bit of happiness..
    Sounds like someone's been watching a bit too much

Never had a long distance relationship. Never plan on getting one

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Why do you say that? (I'm not disagreeing, just wondering what you mean by that).. The way I look at it, you can never have enough communication because that provides reassurance, and for me at least, quite a bit of happiness..
    I was para-phrasing Homer Simpson, in the episode where Apu tries to make up to Manjula him working forever.

Homer says something like "The problem is communication. Too much communication." while sipping a beer in the lounge and Marge in the kitchen.

Mind you, it's something to think about. A friend of mine is in a long distance relationship and he has fights about when he's online to talk to her. Like, she gets frustrated when he's not online to talk or if he'll only be on for 30 mins a day (since he's really busy with work) and that sort of thing.

Long distance relationships rely on lots of communications. Whereas a regular relationship, you're around each other a fair bit but you're not talking to each other for 6 hours a night, like most people in a long distance relationship try and do by using teh internets.

Comes down to one simple thing IMO. How much do you both really want it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information