Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43

Thread: Calling Poms 'whingers' is racist, says watchdog

  1. #1
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678

    Calling Poms 'whingers' is racist, says watchdog

    From The Age:

    PORTRAYING Poms as whingers is racist, the advertising watchdog said yesterday in a ruling it hopes will bring clarity to an issue that appears to be foremost in the minds of Australian advertisers: how to bash a Pom and get away with it.

    A radio ad for a beer in which a group of Englishmen are heard whingeing and moaning to the tune of Land of Hope and Glory was ordered off air by the Advertising Standards Board.

    The ad was part of a campaign to promote an extra cold beer and played on the widely held belief that an Englishman can consume his beer only at room temperature.

    Last month the board dismissed complaints about posters for the same beer, ruling the term "Pom" on its own was a playful and affectionate one that characterised the rivalry between the two nations.

    Complaints over a car ad urging people to "Tonk a Pom", a colloquial term for knocking a ball out of a sportsground, were similarly dismissed.

    But yesterday the watchdog said Pommy-bashing had gone too far and the radio ad was vilifying Englishmen. A spokesman for Tooheys New, whose chief executive is English, said the company was disappointed but had pulled the ad.
    http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...594432318.html

    Same story in The Australian

    Thoughts?
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

  2. #2
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    45,330
    It's getting mildly ridiculous when it comes to this. It also distracts from real issues of race too. Let's be honest here, English white Anglo-Saxon protestants (which the majority of Poms still are) are hardly a **** upon minority, are we?
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

  3. #3
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    29,555
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    It's getting mildly ridiculous when it comes to this. It also distracts from real issues of race too. Let's be honest here, English white Anglo-Saxon protestants (which the majority of Poms still are) are hardly a **** upon minority, are we?
    The thing that concerns me is we can call someone of Asian descent "poppadom" (Big Brother), and all hell brakes loose, Jade Goody, however annoying, is now a hate figure for being a bit naive.. But it takes a hell of a lot to get any reaction to the abuse of a white person.. Not an "opressed minority", but there are huge double standards at work in the nanny state western world..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

    ****.

  4. #4
    International Captain Slow Love™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    The thing that concerns me is we can call someone of Asian descent "poppadom" (Big Brother), and all hell brakes loose, Jade Goody, however annoying, is now a hate figure for being a bit naive.. But it takes a hell of a lot to get any reaction to the abuse of a white person.. Not an "opressed minority", but there are huge double standards at work in the nanny state western world..
    You've got a point, to some degree, but have you actually paid any attention to what else was going on in that Big Brother house? It really was far more than just somebody being naive about someone's race/culture, it was outright hostility.
    "Youre known for having a liking for men who look like women."
    - Linda

    "FFS I'm sick and tired of having to see a bloke bend over to pick something up or lean over and see their arse crack. For christ's sake pull your pants up or buy some underpants you bogan because nobody want's to see it. And this is a boat building shed (well one of them) not a porn studio."
    - Craig


  5. #5
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    29,555
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Love™ View Post
    You've got a point, to some degree, but have you actually paid any attention to what else was going on in that Big Brother house? It really was far more than just somebody being naive about someone's race/culture, it was outright hostility.
    I just wonder if there would have been the same outrage had it been two coloured girls abusing a white girl.. Although Jade and co were totally out of order and wrong, it didn't half give ammunition to some bandwagon jumpers, quick to play the race card..

    Although its a different topic really, IMO Jade Goody is too stupid to be properly racist, and is absolutely representative of a whole slew of people in the UK.. Looks and all

  6. #6
    International Captain Slow Love™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,080
    Anyway, the most important aspects of this kind of thing will be related to historical use and context, as well as (perhaps most importantly) power relationships. People complain a bit about it being a minefield, but to be honest, it really is a minefield. Sometimes we might make observations on "victim mentality", and there's something to be said for that - at certain points positions establish and reverse, and empires rise and crumble. But then again, many grievances people have of various races have origins that aren't that far back in the past, or indeed, ones that are quite ongoing.

    The problem with some of the "political correctness" talk is that it's a bit afraid to spell out why it treats certain circumstances differently to others, which fuels a fair bit of righteous indignance where people don't discern between substantive and formal equality. To me, it's a matter of context, though it sadly can be a complicated matter at times. And in general, people don't like complicated explanations, particularly when it pertains to acceptable and unacceptable behaviour.

    Apologies if this is rambling.

  7. #7
    International Captain Slow Love™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    I just wonder if there would have been the same outrage had it been two coloured girls abusing a white girl.. Although Jade and co were totally out of order and wrong, it didn't half give ammunition to some bandwagon jumpers, quick to play the race card..

    Although its a different topic really, IMO Jade Goody is too stupid to be properly racist, and is absolutely representative of a whole slew of people in the UK.. Looks and all
    Dunno about that, I don't think I'd say that somebody was too stupid (or too clever) to be racist, really. She ain't half dumb though.

  8. #8
    PY
    PY is offline
    International Coach PY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    10,736
    Haha what a pathetic ruling, we've been calling Aussies 'convicts' for ages and I don't see how it's any worse than what they've done in the adverts.

    The stereotypes are always rolled out for Aussie beers on UK TV and they don't complain. It's not like it's inaccurate either, to the outside world I'd imagine we do appear to be whingers.

    Look at the examples on here.....SP and Rich.

    Oh and Brumbers, please don't avoid the filter.
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

    - Stephen Currie

    "The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

  9. #9
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    23,859
    Quote Originally Posted by PY
    Oh and Brumbers, please don't avoid the filter.
    He didn't really try to avoid it, more a case of the filter not doing it's job.
    Last edited by andyc; 27-01-2007 at 07:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

  10. #10
    International Regular Beleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    3,438
    Sigh.

    When did English people became a race?

  11. #11
    Hall of Fame Member Johnners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    That Glorious Moustache
    Posts
    19,098
    bah it's pathetic... a case of PC going to far imo. (i'll be jumped upon for saying it but afaic there's no denying it)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

  12. #12
    Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,104
    Quote Originally Posted by Clapo View Post
    bah it's pathetic... a case of PC going to far imo. (i'll be jumped upon for saying it but afaic there's no denying it)
    Don't see why you'd be jumped on - this is an issue of political correctness, in the sense that it's a pointless and over the top attempt to avoid offending people. The problem people crying PC is when it is in fact a perfectly legitimate complaint, like the Big Brother thing Langeveldt mentioned.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

  13. #13
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Beleg View Post
    Sigh.

    When did English people became a race?
    It might be the fact that the word 'racist' has evolved from its literal meaning. It gets slightly tedious that whenever the word is used, people jump up and say, well, they're not a race so it's not racist, when it's quite obvious, from my perspective anyways, that in the common vernacular the word now includes anything derogatory against a 'peoples' or 'nationality' and not just a race.

  14. #14
    Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,104
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    It might be the fact that the word 'racist' has evolved from its literal meaning. It gets slightly tedious that whenever the word is used, people jump up and say, well, they're not a race so it's not racist, when it's quite obvious, from my perspective anyways, that in the common vernacular the word now includes anything derogatory against a 'peoples' or 'nationality' and not just a race.
    Haha yeah. It's a pretty silly complaint really. Racism obviously refers to prejudice against any sort of regional or racial group, not just people seperated in particular genetic ways. I mean, "Africans" aren't a race either, but saying that African people shouldn't be allowed to live in a certain area is still racist. It's just a ridiculous distinction to make.
    Last edited by FaaipDeOiad; 27-01-2007 at 07:57 AM.

  15. #15
    International Regular Josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,903
    Political correctness can eat me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Graeme Smith warns Panesar of racist abuse
    By Legglancer in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 260
    Last Post: 19-12-2006, 07:29 AM
  2. Calling all Off Spinners!
    By chaminda_00 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 12-04-2006, 12:51 PM
  3. Poms Have No Sense of Humour
    By archie mac in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 24-03-2006, 10:35 PM
  4. Calling computer people
    By Shounak in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 20-03-2006, 08:13 AM
  5. Cricket's biggest whingers
    By Langeveldt in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 14-02-2006, 04:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •