Thread: Can we sue them for this?

Can we sue them for this?

My uncle recently came to India on Air India from New York. He bought a plasma tv for a friend of his, and was bringing it along with him. Anyway what happen was, the TV never showed up at the airport where he went to collect his bags. He went to report it, and they said, it probably got lost. How the hell does something that big get lost!? They said to wait a few days and if we don't find it, you will get a claim. He asked how much the claim was, and they said $100 US for every 20 KGs. So basically, he just got ripped off. Now obviously, something like that does not get lost, because it was huge! It was like 30" I think, and was most likely stolen, considering all his other bags showed up. My question is, can my uncle file a case against the airlines for this?

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Probably, but I think the best idea would be to consult a lawyer rather than a cricket forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamc View Post
    Probably, but I think the best idea would be to consult a lawyer rather than a cricket forum.
    Of course, we have to wait another 10 days before we could do anything, because originally we have to wait 21 days for them to search for it before we can get any money from them. I was just asking if any of you knew

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    It would depend on the terms of the shipping. In all likelyhood, your uncle signed an agreement regarding the transporting of his belongings that would absolve the airline of responsibility beyond the claim you mentioned. In order to prove any sort of case against them your uncle would have to prove that they either broke their side of the agreement (presumably by taking the TV on purpose or failing to adequately ensure that it didn't get lost), or that he was unaware of the content of the agreement for some reason or another. The latter would probably be impossible, and the former difficult to prove in most cases, though obviously plausible. I doubt there's all that much you can do, but it's hard to say.

As Collins said, talk to a lawyer. There may well be other possibilities.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Cricketer Of The Year Robertinho's Avatar
    Hahaha. As if. He'll go into the court room with his laptop. Consulting his counsel will simply be a case of reading "Recent Posts".
    "If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."

I would suggest he looks at his insurance for a claim rather than the airline.

It is possible that it could even be covered by the household contents insurance, though obviously if he took specific insurance out for the journey it would be easier.

A friend of mine had a mountain bike stolen in transit and had to claim on his insurance.

A doubt a successful case could be brought against the airline.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Dravid,

Your uncle should try filling case from US rather than in India. But chances aren't very high that he will be able to reclaim his luggage or money.
    Your uncle shouldn't have travelled in Air India in first place. Its owned by the government and in India one should trust in private stuff more.
    Yaju
    Self Proclaimed World's Greatest 12th Man.

I like wasting homo sapiens' time - like the way I wasted yours just now.

Quote Originally Posted by 5N1p3R j0C|<
    Why are you wasting time your reading others' quotes?
    Quote Originally Posted by DD
    <quack>

Thread Information