Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Human Spirit... (please read)

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar

Can't Think Of A Good Title For This Thread

Indian Emergency

It was an 18-month period between 1975 and 1977 when the President of India, upon advice from the Prime Minister, declared a state of emergency and urged citizens to alter their normal behavior because it suspended elections and civil liberties.

According to the government, the Emergency was declared because of threats to national security, as a recent war with Pakistan had just been concluded. Also, because the recent strikes and protests had paralyzed the economy. However, the Prime Minister, Indira Gandhi, was charged with corruption and was forced to resign from her position.
    And in order to keep herself in power, the Prime Minister declared a State of Emergency and suspended all elections and civil liberties.

The effects of the Indian Emergency had been increased poverty, corruption, and discrimination (both class and gender based).

AIDS in Africa

The HIV/AIDS epidemic is a contentious issue that is quickly spreading throughout Africa.
    Africa is the most highly affected region in the world.
    This is a problem not only among the adults but also the children.
    So far 17 million have died, 25 million may follow.

HIV and AIDS more heavily affect Sub-Saharan Africa than any other region of the world. An estimated 24.5 million people were living with HIV at the end of 2005 and approximately 2.7 million new infections occurred during that year. In just the past year the epidemic has claimed the lives of an estimated 2 million people in this region. AIDS has orphaned more than twelve million children.

Guess What

The AIDS in Africa issue has the same effects on the people of Africa as the Indian Emergency had on the people of India.

Two different time periods, two different societies, and two completely different issues (one political the other naturally induced), yet they share the same effects.

AIDS in Africa has increased poverty with the dying of those who are responsible for economic growth. Discrimination has also increased with the presence of this epidemic. And to compound matters, it has also increased corruption. Often money that is sent as aid for this volatile crisis never reaches the sick that are filling the hospitals and streets. CORRUPTION is feeding off of the aid that is being sent to cure this epidemic.

Reason Behind This Thread

I recently did an English project on these issues and have learned a lot in the process and felt like sharing a small portion of it.

So tonight when we our enjoying ourselves at our New Year's parties, I just want everyone of us to take a small moment and remember those who are unfortunate enough to not be able to enjoy themselves this New Year and those who in history have not enjoyed themselves on New Year. And maybe, just maybe, each of us can look forward to start off this new year creating a mental plan in our heads and promising ourselves to commit a small portion of our earning in helping the unfortunate. And if you already do, kudos to you.

Thanks for reading...
    Last edited by Turbinator; 31-12-2006 at 02:28 PM.

Top thread. But I always thought India had a bigger AIDS problem than anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator
    Indian Emergency

It was an 18-month period between 1975 and 1977 when the President of India, upon advice from the Prime Minister, declared a state of emergency and urged citizens to alter their normal behavior because it suspended elections and civil liberties.

According to the government, the Emergency was declared because of threats to national security, as a recent war with Pakistan had just been concluded. Also, because the recent strikes and protests had paralyzed the economy. However, the Prime Minister, Indira Gandhi, was charged with corruption and was forced to resign from her position.
    And in order to keep herself in power, the Prime Minister declared a State of Emergency and suspended all elections and civil liberties.

The effects of the Indian Emergency had been increased poverty, corruption, and discrimination (both class and gender based).

AIDS in Africa

The HIV/AIDS epidemic is a contentious issue that is quickly spreading throughout Africa.
    Africa is the most highly affected region in the world.
    This is a problem not only among the adults but also the children.
    So far 17 million have died, 25 million may follow.

HIV and AIDS more heavily affect Sub-Saharan Africa than any other region of the world. An estimated 24.5 million people were living with HIV at the end of 2005 and approximately 2.7 million new infections occurred during that year. In just the past year the epidemic has claimed the lives of an estimated 2 million people in this region. AIDS has orphaned more than twelve million children.

Guess What

The AIDS in Africa issue has the same effects on the people of Africa as the Indian Emergency had on the people of India.

Two different time periods, two different societies, and two completely different issues (one political the other naturally induced), yet they share the same effects.

AIDS in Africa has increased poverty with the dying of those who are responsible for economic growth. Discrimination has also increased with the presence of this epidemic. And to compound matters, it has also increased corruption. Often money that is sent as aid for this volatile crisis never reaches the sick that are filling the hospitals and streets. CORRUPTION is feeding off of the aid that is being sent to cure this epidemic.
    Reason Behind This Thread

I recently did an English project on these issues and have learned a lot in the process and felt like sharing a small portion of it.

So tonight when we our enjoying ourselves at our New Year's parties, I just want everyone of us to take a small moment and remember those who are unfortunate enough to not be able to enjoy themselves this New Year and those who in history have not enjoyed themselves on New Year. And maybe, just maybe, each of us can look forward to start off this new year creating a mental plan in our heads and promising ourselves to commit a small portion of our earning in helping the unfortunate. And if you already do, kudos to you.

Thanks for reading...
    Doesn't that makes Zakat for those needs rather pointless then?

Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy
    Doesn't that makes Zakat for those needs rather pointless then?
    Not really, I mean aid through the government is used in a corrupt manner. Aid through well respected foundations like Unicef, does work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dravid
    Top thread. But I always thought India had a bigger AIDS problem than anyone else.
    Hell no. Southern Africa is dying on its feet. Estimated that in South Africa it is 1 out of 5 of the adult population is HIV positive and SA is by no means the worst.

I know and Im friends with many people in Development Agencies and HIV focused organisations and I have come to one simple conclusions.

Money will help reduce the suffering on those that are sick, but no amount of money will significantly impact the pandemic.

It is deep seated African cultural attitudes that no educational budget will change that are at the heart of the issue. It goes deeper and often prevents someone just acting on what their head and common sense says.

It certainly does not help when the ex-deputy PM stated he could not get HIV after sleeping with/raping an infected girl as he had had a shower afterwards and he was too important to get it

There are many horrible things that also happen. Like the belief that sleeping with a virgin will cure you of HIV. How do you ensure a virgin? well the younger the better and there have been a number of instances of children under 1yr old being violently raped.

Virtually all people know roughly whats going on. If you talk to many black Africans they will not mention HIV by name. It carries that level of terror. What is needed is an increased level of personal responsibility (In so many instances they are aware of the possibilities but take their chances) and for deepseated big man attitudes to disappear rather than more foreign money being thrown at the subject.
    Last edited by Goughy; 31-12-2006 at 02:46 PM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy
    There are many horrible things that also happen. Like the belief that sleeping with a virgin will cure you of HIV. How do you ensure a virgin? well the younger the better and there are thousands of instances of children under 1yr old being violently raped.
    Tell me that's a typo.
    RIP Craigos

There are many horrible things that also happen. Like the belief that sleeping with a virgin will cure you of HIV. How do you ensure a virgin? well the younger the better and there are thousands of instances of children under 1yr old being violently raped.
    Oh crap, are you serious. Wow, that's sad.

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10
    Tell me that's a typo.
    I wish it was, but it isnt. I wouldnt say it is common practice, but it is a common belief that many act on.

The issue here is attitudes rather than finances. We (I mean my family and friends) know HIV positive people that are still sexually promiscuous and dont tell their lovers.

Terrible state of affairs.

EDIT- Just to be fair. The child rape I mention is far more prevelant in the more superstitious villages rather than in the modern metro areas.
    Last edited by Goughy; 31-12-2006 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator
    Not really, I mean aid through the government is used in a corrupt manner. Aid through well respected foundations like Unicef, does work.
    Rather weary about old UNICEF, there is some fascinating and rather anti UN doctrines which pretty much expose UNICEF in the same light as the UN, of an organisation full of corruption and bureaucracy. Kenya is pretty much the ne plus ultra for such criticism, validity of which rather overrides the actual distain and bias the articles have towards the UN.

I wish it was, but it isnt. I wouldnt say it is common practice, but it is a common belief that many act on.

The issue here is attitudes rather than finances. We (I mean my family and friends) know HIV positive people that are still sexually promiscuous and dont tell their lovers.

Terrible state of affairs.

EDIT- Just to be fair. The child rape I mention is far more prevelant in the more superstitious villages rather than in the modern metro areas.
    well that is understandable(though not justifiable), because they feel they are screwed anyway so they 1. don't feel the need to be careful anymore 2. feel anti-social enough to spread it around...it's up to the people who don't have it to take the necessary precautions....

Hell no. Southern Africa is dying on its feet. Estimated that in South Africa it is 1 out of 5 of the adult population is HIV positive and SA is by no means the worst.

I know and Im friends with many people in Development Agencies and HIV focused organisations and I have come to one simple conclusions.

Money will help reduce the suffering on those that are sick, but no amount of money will significantly impact the pandemic.

It is deep seated African cultural attitudes that no educational budget will change that are at the heart of the issue. It goes deeper and often prevents someone just acting on what their head and common sense says.

It certainly does not help when the ex-deputy PM stated he could not get HIV after sleeping with/raping an infected girl as he had had a shower afterwards and he was too important to get it

Virtually all people know roughly whats going on. If you talk to many black Africans they will not mention HIV by name. It carries that level of terror. What is needed is an increased level of personal responsibility (In so many instances they are aware of the possibilities but take their chances) and for deepseated big man attitudes to disappear rather than more foreign money being thrown at the subject.
    Beeb's six o'clock news recently covered a similar story but it was in India and guys who had HIV were paying for sex with young virgins (12 and below) not only for sexual stimulus but for that same perceived thought. Wasn’t a particularly flattering light and India’s response to AIDS was presented as being just as naïve as 'Africa’s'.
    Last edited by TT Boy; 31-12-2006 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy
    Beeb's six o'clock news recently covered a similar story but it was in India and guys who had HIV were paying for sex with young virgins (12 and below) not only for sexual stimulus but for that same perceived thought. Wasn’t a particularly flattering light and India’s response to AIDS was presented as being just as naïve as 'Africa’s'.
    TBH, I dont know much about Indias HIV issue. Im close to people dealing with it here. I know India is not as bad as South Africa in terms of actual numbers, but if there are similar attitudes, as you mention, then it is very worrying.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    TBH, I dont know much about Indias HIV issue. Im close to people dealing with it here. I know India is not as bad as South Africa in terms of actual numbers, but if there are similar attitudes, as you mention, then it is very worrying.
    I think India has just as many HIV positive people (or close to it), but its much much less as a percentage of the population.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    I think India has just as many HIV positive people (or close to it), but its much much less as a percentage of the population.
    No, 70% of all HIV sufferers are in sub-sahran Africa. Its not even close. It is hard to imagine what it is like here without experiencing it. India is a small animal compared to Southern Africa's Aids elephant.

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceinAfrica
    An estimated 40 million people worldwide -37.2 million adults and 2.7 million children younger than 15 years -were living with HIV/Aids, and more than 70 percent of these people [28.1 million] live in sub-Saharan Africa; another 15 percent [6.1 million] live in South and Southeast Asia. [1]. South Africa, a country with the highest incidence of rape and child rape in the world...
    Quote Originally Posted by World Bank
    In 2006, almost two thirds (63%) of all persons infected with HIV are living in sub-Saharan Africa—24.7 million. An estimated 2.8 million adults and children became infected with HIV in 2006, more than in all other regions of the world combined.

The 2.1 million AIDS deaths in sub-Saharan Africa represent 72% of global AIDS deaths. Across this region, women bear a disproportionate part of the AIDS burden: not only are they more likely than men to be infected with HIV, but in most countries they are also more likely to be the ones caring for people infected with HIV.

Southern Africa remains the epicentre of the global HIV epidemic: 32% of people with HIV globally live in this subregion and 34% of AIDS deaths globally occur there.
    Last edited by Goughy; 31-12-2006 at 03:17 PM.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    No, 70% of all HIV sufferers are in sub-sahran Africa. Its not even close. It is hard to imagine what it is like here without experiencing it. India is a small animal compared to Southern Africa's Aids elephant.
    Just counting South Africa, India has slightly more in terms of actuall numbers.

However, in SA the problem is worse as the population is so much smaller than India. So even with the same amount of actual numbers, the total percentage is only about .05% of the total population being infected (instead of 20% in SA).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information