Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The next place for the Goughy clan

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    One of the places I would least like to go to in the world.. No offence.. Apart from the cricket, I doubt I could tolerate anything there.. Hope I'm being ignorant about it and it's not actually as bad as I think it is..

At the moment I'm trying to convince Goughy about Namibia.. Hot, fairly safe, quiet, cricket. One hour in the plane from SA.. Fantastic country that nobody cares much about, my type of place..
    Haha, considering I said even I wouldn't like to live there, why would I be offended? Curious as to your reasons though.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Haha, considering I said even I wouldn't like to live there, why would I be offended? Curious as to your reasons though.
    Even the touristy films that are promoting the country seem to be head high in poverty, pollution and congestion. Some of the places just shock me. And the countryside just looks totally isolated and detached from the big cities.. Basically a world away from anything I'd want out of life.. Like I said I'm slating one of the most amazing civilizations in the world so I hope I'm wrong..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Even the touristy films that are promoting the country seem to be head high in poverty, pollution and congestion. Some of the places just shock me. And the countryside just looks totally isolated and detached from the big cities.. Basically a world away from anything I'd want out of life.. Like I said I'm slating one of the most amazing civilizations in the world so I hope I'm wrong..
    Plus all the streets are just covered in vomit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Even the touristy films that are promoting the country seem to be head high in poverty, pollution and congestion. Some of the places just shock me. And the countryside just looks totally isolated and detached from the big cities.. Basically a world away from anything I'd want out of life..
    Nope, everything you've said is absolutely spot on. There is a lot of pollution in the cities, there is crushing poverty in almost all the cities and villages, and congestion is a huge issue. It is also true that there is a night and day difference between cities and villages, though that's changing (not always for the better). Though I've never been to Africa, I'd think there'd be the same type of poverty and social issues there?
    Last edited by silentstriker; 09-07-2008 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Slovenia, I would highly reccomend. Cheap as chips, lovely people, pretty safe and near the UK. Bovec is a great place.
    At the moment I'm trying to convince Goughy about Namibia.. Hot, fairly safe, quiet, cricket. One hour in the plane from SA.. Fantastic country that nobody cares much about, my type of place..
    Both Windhoek and Ljubljana have promise. As its with a US business we get paid in dollars so Eurozone countries are out of te question.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Plus all the streets are just covered in vomit.
    Wp. Isn't vomitgate before your time though?
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

Anyone spent time in Oman or Singapore?

Curveball Champion!
    How about West Robham, Kev, hear that has a gun cricket team too, could go and see them play.

cpr
    If Euro's out, then there goes my suggestion of Portugal, meets the bolded criteria (so long as you dont go for meals without the kids). Sure they'd be a fledgling cricket team needing some help n all
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    I(so long as you dont go for meals without the kids).

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Nope, everything you've said is absolutely spot on. There is a lot of pollution in the cities, there is crushing poverty in almost all the cities and villages, and congestion is a huge issue. It is also true that there is a night and day difference between cities and villages, though that's changing (not always for the better). Though I've never been to Africa, I'd think there'd be the same type of poverty and social issues there?
    Yeah, but to be honest I don't really live in "Proper Africa", nor do I ever intend to go there.. In the suburbs we've got all the KFC's you can shake a stick at, surf shops, flyovers, motorways and BMW's.. I guess I'm totally detached from what my country is actually like too, but so are many millions of us.. I was asked if I'd love SA as much if I didn't have all the privelages of the few million "previously advantaged", and I said, nope, I'd probably hate the place..
    Last edited by Langeveldt; 09-07-2008 at 03:07 PM.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Anyone spent time in Oman or Singapore?
    Yeah.. Oman is a friendly, fairly safe, quite rugged gulf country.. Not quite with the same pace of development as somewhere like Dubai, and probably a lot more conservative.. But you are an hour from Dubai, and an hour from Karachi and a couple of hours from India.. So plenty on your doorstep.. Muscat is a pretty city, very interesting with lots of seperate areas separated by hills and coves, but a bit congested..

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Both Windhoek and Ljubljana have promise. As its with a US business we get paid in dollars so Eurozone countries are out of te question.
    I'm afraid to say Slovenia uses the Euro these days- they couldn't wait to get shot of their old currency. It is a great place though, so its a shame you'll have to rule it out.

I'm going to suggest Poland- preferably Krakow. It's a wonderful country and the Zloty is at an all-time high right now, so they won't be going Euro for a while. Maybe Croatia also?
    ZIMBABWE
    Somebody has to...

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    I can confirm that Slovenia uses the Euro. The road toll stations will accept US Dollar though for whatever reason. Ljubljana's a fair gun of a place.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Quote Originally Posted by Matteh View Post
    I can confirm that Slovenia uses the Euro. The road toll stations will accept US Dollar though for whatever reason. Ljubljana's a fair gun of a place.
    Yeah I absolutely loved it. I knew I would when I saw they had an art installation hanging from the church next to the triple bridge- a sprinkler, so that in one bit of Ljubljana it was always raining. I also had my first and so far only taste of a horse burger there.
    I would jump at the chance to live there, or indeed anywhere in Slovenia. It just has everything you could wish for in one small package.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information