Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 68

Thread: The Battle of the Philosophers - Plato vs Socrates vs Aristotle

  1. #1
    International Captain nibbs's Avatar
    Chopper Challenge Champion! Roulette Champion!
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    6,875

    Icon14 The Battle of the Philosophers - Plato vs Socrates vs Aristotle

    I feel Aristotle had some great points about anger, and how if it is used constructively, we can use effectively. However, Anger does limit our ability to reason, limiting our abilities to make rational decisions. Thats well worth noting. Although without anger, our minds are defenceless. So anger can be good, but only to certain extent can anger be good. This point was a pretty good one made by Aristotle. I wonder if Simon "Fitzy" Fitzsimmons has ever considered this when jumping to conclusions all the time. People have actually compared me to Aristotle in the past. So if people would like to call me Aristotle, which I'm pretty some would have considered at some stage in forum life, by all means, do.
    "Matt Damon"

  2. #2
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    17,227
    Quote Originally Posted by nibbs
    I feel Aristotle had some great points about anger, and how if it is used constructively, we can use effectively. However, Anger does limit our ability to reason, limiting our abilities to make rational decisions. Thats well worth noting. Although without anger, our minds are defenceless. So anger can be good, but only to certain extent can anger be good. This point was a pretty good one made by Aristotle. I wonder if Simon "Fitzy" Fitzsimmons has ever considered this when jumping to conclusions all the time. People have actually compared me to Aristotle in the past. So if people would like to call me Aristotle, which I'm pretty some would have considered at some stage in forum life, by all means, do.
    I'd go for Plato and Socrates in a dead heat here. I count out Aristotle as he's the only one of the three to not have a household good named after him...with Plato lending his name to a kitchen utensil we place food on and Socrates providing a protective cover between bare skin and leather shoe. Aristotle can consider himself slightly unlucky after the 1765 renaming of the "stotle" - a scoop-like device used to shovel food into one's own mouth, as well as other mouths is the close vicinity. Unfortunately, due to this ruling I'm afraid my preferences must stand in this case.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

    R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

    Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

    "How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

  3. #3
    Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
    Posts
    19,499
    Nibbs, I think you're more like Jack from Will & Grace than Aristotle...
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

  4. #4
    International Captain nibbs's Avatar
    Chopper Challenge Champion! Roulette Champion!
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    6,875
    in hindsight, a more appropriate title to this thread would have been The Battle of the Philosophers - Plato vs Socrates vs Aristotle vs Nibbs


  5. #5
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    22,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco
    I'd go for Plato and Socrates in a dead heat here. I count out Aristotle as he's the only one of the three to not have a household good named after him...with Plato lending his name to a kitchen utensil we place food on and Socrates providing a protective cover between bare skin and leather shoe. Aristotle can consider himself slightly unlucky after the 1765 renaming of the "stotle" - a scoop-like device used to shovel food into one's own mouth, as well as other mouths is the close vicinity. Unfortunately, due to this ruling I'm afraid my preferences must stand in this case.
    What about a 'stottie'?
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

  6. #6
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    45,193
    I have a BA in Philosophy as it goes (joint honours with Sociology).

    Can remember absolutely jack-all about it now, mind.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

  7. #7
    International Regular Steulen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Clydeside Cloggie
    Posts
    3,189
    Schopenhauer owns them all

    <smug mode off>

    not a clue what he's about, actually.
    President of RTDAS - Ryan ten Doeschate - The Freddie Flintoff of Associate Cricket
    Member of DNAS, ESAS - Dirk Nannes, Edgar Schiferli. Dutchmen can bowl.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    Steulen, are you half-Welsh? Cheer up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    God, I just worked out Steulen's avatar is a hedgehog, not a brain...
    Not sure how to feel now tbh...

  8. #8
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,838
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    I have a BA in Philosophy as it goes (joint honours with Sociology).
    So, mate, what did you actually do in college?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  9. #9
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    45,193
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    So, mate, what did you actually do in college?
    Got drunk (regularly), laid (very occasionally) & ran up a lot of debt.

    Usual UK uni experience.

  10. #10
    International Captain nibbs's Avatar
    Chopper Challenge Champion! Roulette Champion!
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    6,875
    although boybrumby's buffoonerry threatens to ruin this battle, i think i'll rate this one 5 stars

  11. #11
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Disapponited at the lack of russian philosophers up for discussion tbh.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

  12. #12
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    22,939
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    Got drunk (regularly), laid (very occasionally) & ran up a lot of debt.

    Usual UK uni experience.
    Sounds about right tbh.

  13. #13
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clutha Valley, New Zealand
    Posts
    21,816
    To be honest I'd have Gump over the lot of them, he says some very wise things that man.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

  14. #14
    International Regular Steulen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Clydeside Cloggie
    Posts
    3,189
    No way. Not Gump.

    I'd rather go Hilton.
    "They liked it because they didn't know it was me". A wealth of warped ideologies and ehtics to chew over for all eternity

  15. #15
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,542
    Plato was the guy who got killed when a bird saw his head, thought it was a rock, and dropped an egg on it to let the kids out..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

    ****.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Official Trial by Poll. Battle For Inadequacy
    By steds in forum Testing Forum
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 07-11-2010, 08:17 AM
  2. Replies: 1047
    Last Post: 22-05-2007, 09:14 PM
  3. Battle of the Australians
    By aussie in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 1286
    Last Post: 17-11-2006, 06:08 PM
  4. battle of the battle threads
    By nibbs in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 24-10-2006, 12:32 AM
  5. Battle of the T.V. Characters
    By Mister Wright in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 149
    Last Post: 15-10-2006, 10:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •