Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Battle of the Philosophers - Plato vs Socrates vs Aristotle

International Debutant
    Hehe, we studied those three in Year 6 (to everyone's amazement) and the text we read (the Gifted and Talented group including me) found it to be solely about Socrates (with really brief mention to Plato, and none to Aristotle) so the text was biased in that. Don't really have an opinion myself though... It's probably locked up somewhere behind a closed door which I don't have the key to unlock yet.
    Supporting: NSW & Australia, women's cricket

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    Plato was the guy who got killed when a bird saw his head, thought it was a rock, and dropped an egg on it to let the kids out..
    I'm with you on this one - Karl Pilkington is the greatest philosopher that has ever lived.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Quote Originally Posted by Dydl
    Hehe, we studied those three in Year 6 (to everyone's amazement) and the text we read (the Gifted and Talented group including me) found it to be solely about Socrates (with really brief mention to Plato, and none to Aristotle) so the text was biased in that. Don't really have an opinion myself though... It's probably locked up somewhere behind a closed door which I don't have the key to unlock yet.
    Which book did you read about Socrates in year 6...Socrates the Gaul?

Chopper Challenge Champion! Roulette Champion!
    i'm disappointed that people aren't battling the philosophers that this battle was supposed to be about. ffs guys
    "Matt Damon"

Quote Originally Posted by nibbs
    i'm disappointed that people aren't battling the philosophers that this battle was supposed to be about. ffs guys
    "Philosophers are people who talk the talk in order to get laid. This shows that, deep down, they are just lousy guitarists."

(c) Steulenates, 2006
    President of RTDAS - Ryan ten Doeschate - The Freddie Flintoff of Associate Cricket
    Member of DNAS, ESAS - Dirk Nannes, Edgar Schiferli. Dutchmen can bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    Steulen, are you half-Welsh? Cheer up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    God, I just worked out Steulen's avatar is a hedgehog, not a brain...
    Not sure how to feel now tbh...

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco
    Which book did you read about Socrates in year 6...Socrates the Gaul?
    We didn't even read a book, it was just an extract from a chapter of a work book or something, supposedly about the "Greek Philosophers - Plato, Socrates and Aristotle" when it only talked about Socrates, which is where it was biased.

Quote Originally Posted by Dydl
    We didn't even read a book, it was just an extract from a chapter of a work book or something, supposedly about the "Greek Philosophers - Plato, Socrates and Aristotle" when it only talked about Socrates, which is where it was biased.
    Thank you...information noted.

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Sartre, Camus, Schopenhauer, Heidegger- all ok tbh, although I feel that I personally have surpassed them all and hence can't be bothered with their work anymore.

Discovering that there isn't any topic that's not discussed on CW Interest in Philosophy is something that happened suddenly to me about 5-6 years back.

Thing with choosing a great philosopher is that they have to be put in their historical context. Someone like Aristotle, while unquestionably one of the greatest intellectual influences, may not be appreciated by a modern mind as much. I liked Kant's philosophy on innateness of space and time. Also liked rather pessimistic and melancholy philosophy of Shaupenhauer.

As I read more though I ended up admiring Karl Popper most (mostly here). Loved both his idea of Falsification and the critique of Historicism. Amazing clarity of thought. To come up with something so original and also not overly abstract as late as in the 20st century is quite an accomplishment.

Apologies for a random bump
    Last edited by ankitj; 12-04-2011 at 12:37 PM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C_C View Post
    In terms of western philosophers, i rate the impact of individuals in the following order:

1. Neitzche
    2. Descartes
    3. Plato/Aristotle
    4. Kant
    5. Machiavelli
    6. Thales
    Would put Descartes and Aristotle above Nietzche tbh. I think Aristotle is being under rated here ...............but seriously Aristotle completely changed the way almost all fields progressed for the next two thousand years. His formalization of the principles of logic is probably the greatest intellectual achievements of antiquity (if that is what that period is called)

Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    Thing with choosing a great philosopher is that they have to be put in their historical context. Someone like Aristotle, while unquestionably one of the greatest intellectual influences, may not be appreciated by a modern mind as much. I liked Kant's philosophy on innateness of space and time. Also liked rather pessimistic and melancholy philosophy of Shaupenhauer.

Apologies for a random bump
    Indeed was surprised nobody had mentioned Kant as yet. Was a gun philosopher. That is the only thing I remember now though
    Last edited by smalishah84; 12-04-2011 at 08:24 AM.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by nibbs View Post
    although boybrumby's buffoonerry threatens to ruin this battle, i think i'll rate this one 5 stars
    Did this earn an infraction, btw?

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Reading Nietzsche's Thus Spoke Zarathustra atm along with stuff about or by Nietzsche. When you read some of his nihilistic passages along with his obvious passion it's easy to see why he went insane...

Nah, great writer and champion of existentialism and in attacking age old, mostly religious, doctrines. Was rather sad that Dawkins didn't mention him in The God Delusion.

Wrote some nice music too

Listening to his music's like reading one of his books. It's full of emotion but not over excessive. Many composers could have made the albumblatt a twenty minute movement of a piano concerto. Nietzsche might not have been able to do this but he also probably didn't want to imo, preferring his short and to the point style.
    Last edited by cover drive man; 12-04-2011 at 12:16 PM.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

Kant was a genius in metaphysics and meta-ethics but I think his ethical 'Categorical Imperative' seems a bit silly tbh. As well as having obvious flaws, how did he think he could just tell people the absolute rules of right wrong? Rather despotic to say the least...
    Last edited by cover drive man; 12-04-2011 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    Kant was a genius in metaphysics and meta-ethics but I think his ethical 'Categorical Imperative' seems a bit silly tbh. As well as having obvious flaws, how did he think he could just tell people the absolute rules of right wrong? Rather despotic to say the least...
    Haha. Totally agree. Kant's metaphysics rocks but his thoughts on ethics were quite inane. Happened with a lot of philosophers of early modern period. Descartes is another example. Does a great job with his "I think therefore I am" but totally spoils it with his silly argument for God's existence.

Yeah, plus Descartes' ontological argument is mostly plagiarism from theologians of the middle ages.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information