Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40

Thread: Global Warming.

  1. #1
    International Captain Dravid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    5,096

    Global Warming.

    As we all know, this is a serious problem that's been growing for years. What are your opinions and views on Global Warming? Do you think it can be prevented, or is it too late? Do you think it can be delayed? And most importantly, are you doing something to prevent it?


    Well I know this really won't affect how I live my life, but the generation to come will be in trouble. I usually don't use up much energy in my place because I want to do my part on preventing this.

    BTW does anyone know how much energy an airport uses up? I really don't see the need for 4 airports in one city, because it only makes the situation worse.

  2. #2
    Cricketer Of The Year Burpey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    7,584
    Global warming is a myth tbh. Don't believe the hype.

  3. #3
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    22,945
    It's a natural process that was going to happen anyway. The Earth during it's millions of years of existence goes hot and cold through time.

    What we know as Global Warming is just us quickening this process. So that people in a thousand or so years are screwed rather than hundreds of thousands/millions of years.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

  4. #4
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    23,883
    Go watch An Inconvenient Truth. Top movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.


  5. #5
    International Captain Dravid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    5,096
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc
    Go watch An Inconvenient Truth. Top movie.
    Wanted to see it, but it didn't end up gettin in the local theater.

  6. #6
    International Captain Slow Love™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,080
    I feel that most of us aren't really that qualified to judge, but it doesn't stop most of us from having some dictatorial opinion on it that's more related to political affiliation than anything else. Thus it's often split on political lines, although concern is definitely becoming wider, as we are seeing with some previously diametrically opposed governments (including ours) turnarounds on the subject. It's probably this that makes me most convinced that it really is an issue that we may have some control over.

    On a personal level, I don't believe it's unreasonable to approach things as if there may be some truth to the fact that what we are doing to the world might inspire undesirable climate change, particularly when there are obviously alternate sources of energy that might be cleaner and/or safer.
    "Youre known for having a liking for men who look like women."
    - Linda

    "FFS I'm sick and tired of having to see a bloke bend over to pick something up or lean over and see their arse crack. For christ's sake pull your pants up or buy some underpants you bogan because nobody want's to see it. And this is a boat building shed (well one of them) not a porn studio."
    - Craig

  7. #7
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Leeuwarden, Netherlands
    Posts
    29,567
    Its got noticeably warmer in a decade here, let alone ten thousand years.. We no longer get snow, and this year, we haven't had a frost, I can remember at least a week of snow every year when I was younger.. God knows what's going to be in store for our grandkids..

    India and China, the world's next superpowers will be polluting on a scale that makes the US look tiny, in fact, they already are.. but we probably will have wiped the world out long before we have to worry about its climate coming to get us.. When we're busy killing each other, who cares if my car guzzles gas?
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

    ****.

  8. #8
    International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bitch please, I'm from West Yorkshire
    Posts
    14,989
    I say hike up the cost of flying by 50%, and put the proceeds towards planting trees and developing more efficient fuels. Yes I'm a hippy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

  9. #9
    State Captain Tomm NCCC's Avatar
    Squirrel Soccer Champion!
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Papplewick, Nottingham
    Posts
    1,565
    You missed something off teh title - Global Warming - Who gives a damn?

    If it is becuase of the greenhouse gases and CO2 Emisions, which are keeping the planet from being below freezing everyday, then those moaning folk should try living without Power, gas, etc
    This Weeks Samit Patel Fact - Has been mentioned in 32 of my posts

    The Rifles - Whats your verdict? www.myspace.com/therifles

    Winner of Cricket Webs Shane Warne Award - 4-11th Feb

    RIP Mr Woolmer, We are all poorer for your loss.

  10. #10
    International Coach Anil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Tattooine
    Posts
    13,450
    it's probably already too late and more than half the world don't know or are still in denial or don't give a damn, so i'd say we are screwed...

  11. #11
    International Vice-Captain 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    On the Road
    Posts
    4,008
    I disagree. People are starting to wake up - but slowly.

    I think that the people who refuse to acknowledge climate change do so because of an unwillingness to change their deep seated and selfish habits.

    The stupid thing is that it's not that hard. An example of the small things I do:

    * Turn off lights and electronics when I'm not using them - how much effort is it to push a button or flick a switch?
    * Recycle. Seriously, all you have to do is put cardboard, paper, glass, bottles and cans in a different rubbish bin.
    * Catch a bus to work. You don't have to deal with traffic, or find/pay for a park. And it's cheaper.
    * Drive a smaller car. Most of the time it's just me and the girlfriend in the car, and traffic stops me driving quickly anyway.

    There's lots of easy ways to help out. When I'm eventually able to buy a house, I'm looking forward to making it mostly energy self sufficient.
    Member of the Newtown Cricket Club - "Per commissum ad taberna"
    Honorary Vice-President of the "Twenty20 Is Boring Society"

  12. #12
    C_C
    C_C is offline
    International Captain C_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    World
    Posts
    6,990
    Global warming is an interesting topic.
    Its on some pretty solid scientific knowledge and logically putting two plus two together, even though our actual detection part is a bit sketchy.
    But usually who do challenge the scientific basis of global warming are either almost always working with a political agenda in mind(or influenced by it) or simply do not understand the nature of science (which sometimes includes rather clueless scientists).

    No, it isnt rocket science. Carbon dioxide, sulphur dioxide, etc = green house gases. Proven fact beyond challenge. Green house gases = retains heat 'one way' (ie, lets it in but doesnt let it out). This aspect i think is hard for some to grasp. Trees = gets rid of CO2, rain = gets rid of sulphur dioxide ( mixing with rain, some lightning etc makes sulphuric acid - aka acid rain-which then goes into ground, reacts with something and becomes benign).
    We've cut down trees at an unprecedented rate over the last 400 years ( industrial revolution and all that stuff). No trees = CO2 builds up in atmosphere, too much SO2 = too much acid rain. CO2 buildup = makes earth hotter. Nevermind those pesky CFCs that are 'poking holes' through the ozone and giving skin cancer to wombats or even in humans.Or the arsenic and lead seeping into groundwater. Those are the sideshow Bobs of the package.
    Now, the billions of tonnes of CO2 we've given out ( btw, gas is really light...think how much 'space' would be occupied by a ton of gas, then make it billions and you'd get the 'scale' of it all) isnt gonna accumulate (especially with us cutting down trees) and cause atmospheric warming ?
    Those who say 'err no, its too little in amount', refer to the above paragraph and get a grip on scale. Those who say 'its a natural process- the earth heats up on its own, cools down, the sun plays a part, there have been intensely hot periods and cold periods in prehistory, proven fact, so its not our doing', miss the essential concept of scale.
    Yes, it happens naturally. But there's nothing like giving a slow-moving sluggish horse a big kick up its hiney and get it galloping. Thats what we've done. We've given 'nature a hand' and accelerated the warming up by a zillion times. How ? incase you didnt notice, nature doesnt just belch out billions of tons of CO2 and at the same time cull its CO2 removal plants (trees). It happens when the sun goes crazy or a slow gradual shift in the habitable zone or whatever. But it sure doesnt happen in a few hundred years of going nuts.

    Can anything be done ? Nope.
    Are we too late ? Well given that the CO2 usually takes over a decade or two to rise through the atmospheric churnings and play a crucial part in greenhouse effect, what we'r experiencing is essentially what 'we've done' in the 60s and 70s. Ie, our 'CO2 from the 80s,90s and today' havnt even started playing a part in it mostly. Now take that into account and its again, no rocket science to see that we'r way past the 'point of no return' and things are only gonna get worse.
    In the grand scheme of things, as usually it is, its ultimately just bad for us and other creatures living today. Unless we go into a post-nuclear holocaust, mother nature will right itself,probably consider 'okay, reptile plan got bolloxed by the bloody metiorite, the mammal plan didnt work out because those stupid mammals nominated the craziest mammal of all to be the overlord. Well, lets try with insects. intelligent bugs, next up'.

  13. #13
    International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    India and China, the world's next superpowers will be polluting on a scale that makes the US look tiny, in fact, they already are..
    No, they're not.

    Anyway, it's unfortunate that climate change is a partisan political issue. It should be called climate change by the way - global warming suggests it's only a warming effect which allows some of the more idiotic media commentators to deny it's effects whenever the weather is cold (e.g. Andrew Bolt). It seems like the kneejerk opposition to anything 'green' took over for a while, but it seems now that businesses are finally seeing that it's in their best interests to go 'green'.
    It's not as if it's a difficult proposition to respect the environment anyway. As 16 tins of Spam said, there are easy ways to reduce the impact you make on the Earth. Simple things like leaving the car at home more often and recycling can make a significant difference. It sometimes seems though that people are too selfish to make even these small sacrifices, and they rationalise their decisions by saying it's a lost cause or denying climate change altogether.

  14. #14
    International Vice-Captain 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    On the Road
    Posts
    4,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasa
    it's unfortunate that climate change is a partisan political issue. It should be called climate change by the way - global warming suggests it's only a warming effect which allows some of the more idiotic media commentators to deny it's effects whenever the weather is cold (e.g. Andrew Bolt).
    You're absolutely right there. That man really shows himself up for the ignoramus he is when he says "How come it's so cold if the globe is warming?" It proves he hasn't really been paying much attention when people with a lot more knowledge and intellect than him are explaining the science.

    Andrew Bolt is a classic example of selfish denial when faced with making some pretty minor changes to his life.

  15. #15
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    65,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    Its got noticeably warmer in a decade here, let alone ten thousand years.. We no longer get snow, and this year, we haven't had a frost, I can remember at least a week of snow every year when I was younger.. God knows what's going to be in store for our grandkids..

    India and China, the world's next superpowers will be polluting on a scale that makes the US look tiny, in fact, they already are.. but we probably will have wiped the world out long before we have to worry about its climate coming to get us.. When we're busy killing each other, who cares if my car guzzles gas?
    US at the moment is much worse than India and China. I thought that was general knowledge actually? Its what makes the issue so controversial.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Cricket and the Olympics
    By Josh in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 31-01-2006, 03:55 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 14-08-2004, 11:42 PM
  3. Replies: 46
    Last Post: 10-04-2004, 06:29 AM
  4. WWE Global Warning Tour!!!
    By Blewy in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-08-2002, 03:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •