Cricket Player Manager
Page 894 of 992 FirstFirst ... 394794844884892893894895896904944 ... LastLast
Results 13,396 to 13,410 of 14869
Like Tree291Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

Bloody hell. About to submit a NHMRC grant myself and if gets knocked back but this gets up, will throw things.

Mind you, at least it's only 100K they're proposing, absolute drop in the bucket for this sort of thing (we're asking for $1M). Get the feeling it's **** off money to all the h8ers.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 09-01-2014 at 05:48 AM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    The media don't like that they are not being pandered to; Rudd-style

So they are not reporting that the boats have actually stopped
    Yeah, the Murdoch press has long refused to report Abbott's successes, real or perceived.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Parliament was embarrassing today re: Holden. Both sides were a disgrace, Labor blaming the decision not to increase funding, Coalition blaming carbon tax.

GM have said neither played a part ffs
    Looks that way.

Government not to blame for Holden closure, says boss Mike Devereux

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

Bloody hell. About to submit a NHMRC grant myself and if gets knocked back but this gets up, will throw things.

Mind you, at least it's only 100K they're proposing, absolute drop in the bucket for this sort of thing (we're asking for $1M). Get the feeling it's **** off money to all the h8ers.
    Anecdote of the day: My wife has this incredible fear of wind turbines. Apparently it's Anemomenophobia.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwgu8_b0Vw

RIP Craig

The number of persons newly presenting to the UNHCR in Jakarta for registration per month has fallen from 1,608 in September to just 296 in December

No boats for the last three weeks, and yet Bill Shorten (who is cheering the boats) is trying to highlight a breach of trust by Abbott, namely that he is "towing" the boats back as distinct from "turning" them back...people will be outraged!
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Lame. It's the monsoonal season, there are drops every year at this time.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 16-01-2014 at 04:47 AM.

International Debutant the big bambino's Avatar
    Must have been quite a monsoon after Howard introduced the Pacific Solution.

Who cares? I'm talking about what's happening now. I have no allegiance to either party, for the record, but let's not count our illegals before they drown.

Stopping boat people is such a Today Tonight issue anyway; there's no harm to the country in any way even when numbers are high. On the list of priorities to solve, it should be somewhere near timed parking in the city.
    Ausage likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Who cares? I'm talking about what's happening now. I have no allegiance to either party, for the record, but let's not count our illegals before they drown.

Stopping boat people is such a Today Tonight issue anyway; there's no harm to the country in any way even when numbers are high. On the list of priorities to solve, it should be somewhere near timed parking in the city.
    Well lets not conflate what a nation's interest should be with what does or does not amuse you. The integrity of borders is practically the very reason for a national govt's existence.

You are implying something when you say you aren't aligned to any party. I don't care if you are or aren't. It doesn't make a person any more impartial which maybe the vanity implied. Actual impartiality would be able to admit the pacsol stopped the trade, the "substantive author" of its repeal and the bloke she eventually knifed started it again. Sovereign borders appears to be working irrespective of monsoons as monthly comparisons in arrivals across years should indicate. One of the comparisons Abbott will eventually be judged on. But lets not look for seasonal weather reasons to explain the trend illegal movements that are clearly a function of govt policy. It is that factor which will determine their number including the ones that drown.
    Last edited by the big bambino; 16-01-2014 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    Well lets not conflate what a nation's interest should be with what does or does not amuse you. The integrity of borders is practically the very reason for a national govt's existence.

You are implying something when you say you aren't aligned to any party. I don't care if you are or aren't. It doesn't make a person any more impartial which maybe the vanity implied. Actual impartiality would be able to admit the pacsol stopped the trade, the "substantive author" of its repeal and the bloke she eventually knifed started it again. Sovereign borders appears to be working irrespective of monsoons as monthly comparisons in arrivals across years should indicate. One of the comparisons Abbott will eventually be judged on. But lets not look for seasonal weather reasons to explain the trend illegal movements that are clearly a function of govt policy. It is that factor which will determine their number including the ones that drown.
    Towards what? We're not talking about an invading army here and the number we're taking is relatively miniscule.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 16-01-2014 at 04:02 PM.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    I wasn't aware our borders were under threat. A pox on both their houses over this issue, tbh.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Not every threat is military and govts recognise there are other ways to compromise borders and resource their prevention, such as customs. As for numbers I can't see that as relevant in assessing a risk. Besides 50k+ illegal movements is a lot. And where the loss of one life is tragic up to 1000 is enough to focus on preventing anymore.

A risk of what exactly?
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 16-01-2014 at 05:43 PM.

I dunno - how about drowning for a start? For a complete list why don't you consult the experts at customs.

I was talking about the risk of these people to the country. Have done a few risk and threat assessments in my time and usually there's an outcome written somewhere in the conclusion section that details something actually happening or likely to happen that the authors don't want to happen. Aside from the nebulous concept of 'border integrity' advanced by proponents of stopping the boats, is there any evidence that these people pose a credible threat to anything at all whatsoever? This is a huge missing piece in most discussions.

Thread Information