Like Tree249Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Well done Warren Entsch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Today we have learned that the libertarian love of #freedom of speech doesn't extend to saying a libertarian is obsessed with homosexuality.

This is why libertarians are, invariably, hypocritical ****s of the highest order.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Libertarians are usually just a few standard drinks away from being out and out right wing extremist dickheads
    Flem274* likes this.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    A few?! #cadburydrinkers in my experience.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 07-01-2014 at 08:23 PM.
    NZTailender likes this.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    This is why libertarians are, invariably, hypocritical ****s of the highest order.
    Especially when said libertarian in question only cares about freedom when it comes to his right to shove his views down the throats of others, and not for, y'know, people to be able to choose how they live.

I don't understand how that type of pseudo-libertarian can justify their denial of homosexuality, alternative family structures or abortion while apparently advocating for the freedom of people to do what they want. It's ridiculous that 'freedom' is now the political buzzword to justify their agenda, while being completely ignored when they dislike another person's choice - "you have the freedom to choose what you do with your life, as long as it is the choice I want".

****s me to no end.

Things are so quiet and serene

#adultsincharge
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Especially when said libertarian in question only cares about freedom when it comes to his right to shove his views down the throats of others, and not for, y'know, people to be able to choose how they live.

I don't understand how that type of pseudo-libertarian can justify their denial of homosexuality, alternative family structures or abortion while apparently advocating for the freedom of people to do what they want. It's ridiculous that 'freedom' is now the political buzzword to justify their agenda, while being completely ignored when they dislike another person's choice - "you have the freedom to choose what you do with your life, as long as it is the choice I want".

****s me to no end.
    it's political correctness gone made
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Haha that is superb
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Things are so quiet and serene

#adultsincharge
    take your ear plugs out boi
    There are two colours in my head

Sugarealm

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    take your ear plugs out boi
    if he takes them out he might put them in his butt and that would be gay #corybernardithoughts

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Some great amazon comments on the book '...rails against everything since the enlightenment'
    NZTailender likes this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Even amongst politicians, Bernardi's certainty of his point of view and imperviousness to any dissent is a rarity. Not above doing absolutely anything for a vote either. Models himself on Howard, I'm led to believe.

The media don't like that they are not being pandered to; Rudd-style

So they are not reporting that the boats have actually stopped

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post

****s me to no end.
    Yeah, "people who identify themselves as libertarians" and "libertarians" aren't always quite the same thing. Particularly when you're talking about legitimate politicians.

And I'll no doubt be opening a can of worms but while I certainly agree with your overall point, slipping abortion in there is a bit weird IMO. Most libertarians who oppose it (and probably most pseudo-libertarians, hell probably most opponents to it in general) do so because they think it's murder, and if it is then it violates the non-aggression principle of libertarianism. It differs greatly from ridiculous and hypocritical pseudo-libertarian opposition to homosexuality and alternative family structures for that reason. Libertarianism isn't about unlimited freedom because it's a impossibility due to conflicts such as this; I suppose you could say it's about finding the greatest level of freedom obtainable. As far as murder goes, freedom to live always trumps to freedom to kill, so your position on abortion depends not on your position on the "freedom scale" but almost purely on whether you think it's killing or not. Of course if it's not killing then the freedom to do what you like with your own body clearly trumps the freedom to impose your religious or moral views on someone else, but you do have to arrive to that conclusion first before it becomes so straight-forward.

I'm personally a bit on the fence with it in general so my position is pretty much "it's not clear cut enough for the government to try and legislate on right now, let people make up their own mind individually" but if you did have an opinion that aligned more with it "it's murder" then you'd absolutely be within your rights as a libertarian to try and prevent it. You'd not be curtailing freedom in that situation as much as prioritising more vital freedoms over less vital ones and adhering to key concepts of libertarianism.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 09-01-2014 at 03:24 AM.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Yeah, I agree with you entirely on that - and as such I tend to try and stay out of the abortion debate as much as possible. I think it's pretty fair to say, however, that the 'pro-choice' side of the debate frames it almost exclusively as a freedom issue, and the 'pro-life' side frames it exclusively as a murder/violence issue. I've fallen into the trap there of considering it as a freedom issue only because of the context of my argument, which simplifies what is a very nuanced issue. In saying that though, that's not the point I'm making. Just a very imperfect example.

Libertarianism isn't about unlimited freedom because it's a impossibility due to conflicts such as this; I suppose you could say it's about finding the greatest level of freedom obtainable
    Yeah, this. Wrote a uni essay more-or-less on this type of topic, and ultimately it comes out as trying to balance different freedoms - freedom of speech has to be balanced against the freedom to walk down the street without being racially abused. But in the case of, say, the freedom to have consensual gay sex in private, there's no counter freedom to be balanced against whatsoever. Trying to argue that people shouldn't have that freedom is really, really strange if the person in question really is a libertarian.

Thread Information