Page 873 of 981 FirstFirst ... 373773823863871872873874875883923973 ... LastLast
Results 13,081 to 13,095 of 14707
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    basically we need a left faction, a right faction and an all the single ladies faction
    oh yes!

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Bronwyn Bishop wasn't in the cabinet. She was shadow minister for some small port folios, but not cabinet.

She now has the most cushy job in Parliament.
    also not a woman fwiw
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    There's an inherent problem when your Party's best and brightest young woman is Kelly O'Dire.

I agree with the proposition that you pick your best people for the gig, however, it doesn't happen now anyway as there are always trade offs between factions, people to whom you owe favours and balancing unofficial quotas between, for example, states.

The issue I suppose is whether it's right to draw a line between these things and balance them up, but not worry about it when it comes to gender. It's an interesting problem.
    Son Of Coco likes this.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    The new American ambassador to Australia should fit in with the new gay-rights loving, environmentally conscious Australian government well.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Who has been sworn in as the Minister for Alan Jones?
    Son Of Coco likes this.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

I agree on the whole with those that are arguing against quotas and affirmative action here etc. However to state that the cabinet has been chosen on merit is a bit misleading. Underperforming people were kept on, and as Spikey and Burgey have pointed out, factions, states of origin etc. all play a part too.

I understand Benchy's point that the shadow cabinet got the Coalition in to Parliament, so why should it have changed. Well I guess the question is (as PEWS said so), why is it that the shadow cabinet didn't have as many females? Not in terms of why didn't Abbott choose more females in his shadow cabinet, but why aren't the Liberal Party getting higher performing females? You can't just ignore the issue. But I also agree you can't just simplify it by saying Abbott should have chosen more females either. Its a broader issue.

To deny that this is a bad look for the Coalition is putting your head in the sand though. It is not a good start.
    Last edited by Jono; 17-09-2013 at 09:40 PM.
    _Ed_ likes this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    jono throwing down the gauntlet here
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Liberals' 'despair' at jobs for boys

Liberal candidate Andrew Nguyen says party treated ethnic candidates as 'second-class citizens'

cliffs:

Women and Ethnic Types apparently surprised than White Man party is party for White Men

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    jono throwing down the gauntlet here
    In one single post I basically simultaneously agreed with Benchy, PEWS, Burgey and yourself.

Kill me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I agree on the whole with those that are arguing against quotas and affirmative action here etc. However to state that the cabinet has been chosen on merit is a bit misleading. Underperforming people were kept on, and as Spikey and Burgey have pointed out, factions, states of origin etc. all play a part too.

I understand Benchy's point that the shadow cabinet got the Coalition in to Parliament, so why should it have changed. Well I guess the question is (as PEWS said so), why is it that the shadow cabinet didn't have as many females? Not in terms of why didn't Abbott choose more females in his shadow cabinet, but why aren't the Liberal Party getting higher performing females? You can't just ignore the issue. But I also agree you can't just simplify it by saying Abbott should have chosen more females either. Its a broader issue.

To deny that this is a bad look for the Coalition is putting your head in the sand though. It is not a good start.
    Not as bad a look as your face. Why don't you stick that in the sand for a while?

Is that a joke about me and Arabs? #AgentNationaux #SoC

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post

Yeah I agree with this. I actually applaud Abbott for sticking to his convictions and principles in making what was always going to be a dicey political decision. Everyone in the decision-making process would've surely foreseen the reaction to only one woman being in the Cabinet but they did it anyway; not because they're outrageously sexist but because that was the right thing to do based on the merits of the situation.

The actual selection of the Cabinet isn't the issue though; the issue is what's caused it. The chances of 18 of the best 19 being men by pure coincidence are basically too minute to bother considering so while I don't think Abbott has made any wrong choices, it suggests there's a problem with women being promoted within the party on merit further down the chain or (IMO the biggest factor) enticing as many capable women to the party who want to ambitiously pursue politics as men in the first place.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Not that I actually agree with it much at all but that's by far the best article I've read that criticises Abbott's Cabinet selection because it firstly actually offers specific examples rather than just citing the numbers and assuming wrong-doing and secondly acknowledges that it's not really a Cabinet selection problem as much as it is a Coalition female talent problem much deeper down the chain.

Thread Information