Page 872 of 931 FirstFirst ... 372772822862870871872873874882922 ... LastLast
Results 13,066 to 13,080 of 13965
Like Tree137Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

  1. #13066
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    but isn't there a ton of appeasement that goes into sorting out Cabinet/front-bench spots anyway? Like, you've gotta keep your relevant fractions happy haven't you? (ie left/right, state by state, libs/nationals). Didn't one lady get demoted because she supported Diaz? She didn't get demoted based on the merits of whether she would be a good Cabinet member. She got demoted because she stupidly supported a stupid idiot. That's fine, that's politics. And the spots people gain on politics aren't always merit based are they.


    So clearly the issue is the ladies haven't aligned themselves into a fraction that ultimately helps them gather power. Call me up ladies and I can help you
    No female member of the shadow cabinet has missed out on a cabinet role.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

    Thanks.

  2. #13067
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    31,920
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

    With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

  3. #13068
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    31,920
    wait does the speaker get a cabinet spot. idk.

  4. #13069
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bonn, D
    Posts
    22,631
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Best person for the job
    And just by coincidence 18 of the 19 best are men. How odd.

    Keep keeping Australia great.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

    Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?


  5. #13070
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    31,920
    hilarious news: the Concetta Fierravanti-Wells website is down for maintenance Untitled 1

  6. #13071
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    And just by coincidence 18 of the 19 best are men. How odd.

    Keep keeping Australia great.
    Solid input from Vimes, always one with an informed opinion.

    ----------->

  7. #13072
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    Bronwyn Bishop wasn't in the cabinet. She was shadow minister for some small port folios, but not cabinet.

    She now has the most cushy job in Parliament.

  8. #13073
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The great state of New South Wales
    Posts
    42,654
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    And just by coincidence 18 of the 19 best are men. How odd.

    Keep keeping Australia great.
    There's no doubt that more could to be done to encourage bright young women to ambitiously pursue politics in this country, particularly within the Liberal Party. But that's the issue here. The issue isn't the selection of the Cabinet. Glossing over it by over-promoting people for the mere sake of political face would've done nothing for the problem and more than likely been detrimental to both the party and the country as a whole. It's not a coincidence that 18 of the 19 best/most qualified people for the job were male, and it's something that needs to be address at all levels, but rigging the Cabinet selections for the face-saving appearance of faux-equality was in no way a good idea. That you've decided to make basic assumptions about an issue you don't seem to actually know a lot about the specifics of and then patronise people in this thread with a wider understanding of the issue is frankly just poor posting.
    ~ Cribbage

  9. #13074
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bonn, D
    Posts
    22,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    There's no doubt that more could to be done to encourage bright young women to ambitiously pursue politics in this country, particularly within the Liberal Party. But that's the issue here. The issue isn't the selection of the Cabinet. Glossing over it by over-promoting people for the mere sake of political face would've done nothing for the problem and more than likely been detrimental to both the party and the country as a whole. It's not a coincidence that 18 of the 19 best/most qualified people for the job were male, and it's something that needs to be address at all levels, but rigging the Cabinet selections for the face-saving appearance of faux-equality was in no way a good idea. That you've decided to make basic assumptions about an issue you don't seem to actually know a lot about the specifics of and then patronise people in this thread with a wider understanding of the issue is frankly just poor posting.
    True, but the special pleading for a nebulous definition of 'quality' which women happen to fail to meet is always part of how such structures are upheld - and this is a general point, whether it applies to a man being overlooked for a job as kindergarten teacher or politicians. Sometimes this difference is measurably true, like with sports, but sometimes psychological factors prevent the actors in the situation from judging two people performing equally well correctly, because one of the two people fits the stereotype of the person with the correct qualities for Cabinet membership, and the other does not. And by nominating 18 of 19 men, that stereotype is further cemented for new generations of politicians, which relates to the first point about encouraging women to take part.

  10. #13075
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The great state of New South Wales
    Posts
    42,654
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    True, but the special pleading for a nebulous definition of 'quality' which women happen to fail to meet is always part of how such structures are upheld - and this is a general point, whether it applies to a man being overlooked for a job as kindergarten teacher or politicians. Sometimes this difference is measurably true, like with sports, but sometimes psychological factors prevent the actors in the situation from judging two people performing equally well correctly, because one of the two people fits the stereotype of the person with the correct qualities for Cabinet membership, and the other does not. And by nominating 18 of 19 men, that stereotype is further cemented for new generations of politicians, which relates to the first point about encouraging women to take part.
    Yeah but the point is that you have absolutely no idea whether this is the case here or not. Unless you actually think he's specifically wrong and aren't just assuming so, patronising morgie for his 'definition of merit' was shocking posting.

  11. #13076
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bonn, D
    Posts
    22,631
    Fair nuff, will cop that.

  12. #13077
    International Debutant dermo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,235

  13. #13078
    International Debutant dermo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,235
    Lack of women in cabinet proves glass ceiling exists: Ita Buttrose

    "hey t0ni ur a **** for not having more women in the cabinet, idk which women but your still a **** t0ni"

  14. #13079
    International Debutant dermo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,235
    peace out

  15. #13080
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    31,920
    basically we need a left faction, a right faction and an all the single ladies faction
    dermo likes this.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Australian Conditions - The Difference?
    By benchmark00 in forum Ashes 2006/07
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 13-10-2006, 08:38 AM
  2. 2004/05 Australian domestic season thread
    By Craig in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 1116
    Last Post: 27-03-2005, 10:25 PM
  3. *Official* India in Australia Thread
    By Craig in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 2652
    Last Post: 08-01-2004, 07:00 PM
  4. South Australian Crickets Don Bradman Medal Night
    By Blewy in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-10-2003, 05:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •