Cricket Player Manager
Page 863 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 363763813853861862863864865873913963 ... LastLast
Results 12,931 to 12,945 of 15020
Like Tree313Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I think the answer is reflecting the views of a segment of society who, whether you like it or not, do in fact exist and do have the right to air their views.

Anyway, I'm going to leave the debate there because I cbf going around and around in circles.
    I think that's a bit of a bizarre stance in the context of political discussion. Even people as pious as Abbott don't advocate it: "we are all influenced by a value system that we hold, but in the end, every decision that a politician makes is, or at least should, in our society be based on the normal sorts of considerations. It's got to be publicly justifiable; not only justifiable in accordance with a private view; a private belief." Unfortunately, though, Tony doesn't practice what he preaches.

Ruckus just as bad as any fundamentalist - he discriminates against anyone who believes in a religion

While Tony Abbott has played this whole thing pretty well, both Murdoch and the labor party themselves have had a lot to do with where he finds himself now IMO.
    RIP Phillip Hughes (1988-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Anyway, all signs at this stage point to the new senators backing his plan to scrap the carbon tax but rejecting the Direct Action alternative. I'm sure Tone will be.. gutted.. about that. He plans on running the two as separate bills so it'll be hilarious to see if Labor/Greens actually end up supporting it just to ensure that something will be done after the carbon tax is scrapped. It'll be a glorious result either way.
    How is that glorious? If you don't believe in climate change the Direct Action Plan is a gigantic waste of money and surely goes against your core principles of spending government money?
    Last edited by Jono; 10-09-2013 at 03:08 AM.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?

Hmmm yes according to my notes, that is ridiculous.
    dermo likes this.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Surely PEWS is also against the tax being scrapped but the compensation not being scrapped??????????

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I think the answer is reflecting the views of a segment of society who, whether you like it or not, do in fact exist and do have the right to air their views.

Anyway, I'm going to leave the debate there because I cbf going around and around in circles.
    Circular debate with Ruckus aside I still think it's an interesting topic. I like to think that even if I was very religious, I'd not be in favour of imposing my religious values on the rest of the country. Obviously with something like abortion it'd be very hard not to as we're talking about the concept of murder. But even if I did, for example, believe homosexuality was inherently wrong or that same sex couples could not be married under the eyes of God, I'd not think it right to impose that religious opinion on a society with true religious freedom. That's where the religious-based opinions can annoy me sometimes; the desire of those who hold them to legally impose them on everyone else.
    Dan likes this.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Circular debate with Ruckus aside I still think it's an interesting topic. I like to think that even if I was very religious, I'd not be in favour of imposing my religious values on the rest of the country. Obviously with something like abortion it'd be very hard not to as we're talking about the concept of murder. But even if I did, for example, believe homosexuality was inherently wrong or that same sex couples could not be married under the eyes of God, I'd not think it right to impose that religious opinion on a society with true religious freedom. That's where the religious-based opinions can annoy me sometimes; the desire of those who hold them to legally impose them on everyone else.
    Not sure you are getting the difference between democracy and autocracy there boi.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    How is that glorious? If you don't believe in climate change the Direct Action Plan is a gigantic waste of money and surely goes against your core principles of spending government money?
    That's precisely why it's glorious. I dislike the climate change policies of both major parties and now the originally unlikely result of neither of them being implemented is a real possibility, and if one does get implemented it'll be the cheaper one with the required support of a party I severely dislike having to vote for it right after an entire campaign arguing against it. That's an excellent result from my perspective compared to how things were looking a week ago.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    hope jellyfish destroy your home
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    Ruckus just as bad as any fundamentalist - he discriminates against anyone who believes in a religion

While Tony Abbott has played this whole thing pretty well, both Murdoch and the labor party themselves have had a lot to do with where he finds himself now IMO.
    Na, I just firmly belief religion should stay as a personal thing, and never enter into a public sphere like politics.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    i would like religion to never enter this thread again

That's precisely why it's glorious. I dislike the climate change policies of both major parties and now the originally unlikely result of neither of them being implemented is a real possibility, and if one does get implemented it'll be the cheaper one with the required support of a party I severely dislike having to vote for it right after an entire campaign arguing against it. That's an excellent result from my perspective compared to how things were looking a week ago.
    Direct action = waste of money and ineffective
    Compensation = waste of money and going to people who don't need it
    Paid parental scheme = more money than necessary and arguably inequitable.

Someone needs to stop this mad spending Abbott

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    How is the LNP policy cheaper? It uses government funds to subsidise large corporations if they decide its worth it to their bottom line to actually reduce their omissions.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
    Na, I just firmly belief religion should stay as a personal thing, and never enter into a public sphere like politics.
    It's a noble sentiment but it can't happen. People's beliefs and social mores are crafted by their backgrounds, including their religion.

yeah indeed.

Thread Information