Page 862 of 988 FirstFirst ... 362762812852860861862863864872912962 ... LastLast
Results 12,916 to 12,930 of 14808
Like Tree284Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Bachelor Economics/Law, Masters of Arts, Rhodes Scholar, Oz PM and destroyed 3 ALP PMs to get there

I'm sorry but who is the idiot?
    Tony Abbott is.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Ruckus, Alp's entire campaign was founded on the premise that Abbott is an idiot and that the master campaigner would ruthlessly expose him to the Australian public

Fact is that virtually the opposite occurred (and not for the first time) as Abbott ran a highly disciplined campaign based on a few fundamental policies whilst his opponents lurched from one disaster to another

Bottom line is that anyone that is able to keep that up for 3 years or more is obviously not only highly intelligent (as also indicated by his academic record - they don't just give Rhodes Scholarships away you know) but remarkably disciplined

So I ask you, who is the idiot now because it certainly isn't the new PM?
    It will be interesting to see how he goes over the next few years now he can't hide away (unless Labor **** it up by fighting each other again). He has to talk as our new Prime Minister, something I'm really looking forward to. Let's face it, Labor wasn't the only area he wasn't challenged. The bloke had a dream run, and it might continue in some quarters, but he will have to come up with the goods and actually talk to us now he's in the top position,

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Bang on.

Say what you want about his moral views which are often formed from his religious believes, but one knock on the man is that he's not dumb. He's incredibly intelligent.

Believing in god doesn't make you dumb. Thinking someones stupid for believing in god and blindly going on that point makes you dumb
    I don't think he's dumb because he believes in god. I think he's dumb because he comes aross as a ****ing idiot.

I'm happy to admit I'm probably wrong, he can't be stupid if he's reached the position he's in. But when you can't be trusted to speak off the cuff or speak in more than 3-word slogans then questions will inevitably get asked. You can't have 3 years worth of conversations as the Prime Minister closely scripted too, surely.
    Last edited by Son Of Coco; 10-09-2013 at 12:32 AM.
    Ruckus likes this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Remind me again which leader needed notes in a debate?
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    I don't think he's dumb because he believes in god. I think he's dumb because he comes aross as a ****ing idiot.

I'm happy to admit I'm probably wrong, he can't be stupid if he's reached the position he's in. But when you can't be trusted to speak off the cuff or speak in more than 3-word slogans then questions will inevitably get asked. You can't have 3 years worth of conversations as the Prime Minister closely scripted too, surely.
    That sort of stuff is a much bigger reflection on the voting public than it is Abbott himself.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Anyway, all signs at this stage point to the new senators backing his plan to scrap the carbon tax but rejecting the Direct Action alternative. I'm sure Tone will be.. gutted.. about that. He plans on running the two as separate bills so it'll be hilarious to see if Labor/Greens actually end up supporting it just to ensure that something will be done after the carbon tax is scrapped. It'll be a glorious result either way.

All the headlines early on suggested the senate could be a nightmare for Abbott but it looks like they'll support his core principles and then throw out his face-saving vote grab policies that I suspect he's not too keen on anyway, giving him the perfect excuse not to implement them. More like a wet dream than a nightmare.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Remind me again which leader needed notes in a debate?
    Tony Abbott, in 2010.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Notes were allowed under the rules of that debate ftr.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post

Yeah but, serious question, are there any politicians anywhere in the world who don't have a tightly controlled script? I can't think of one and can only suggest it's because the price of a gaffe is 10x what it was, say, 20 years ago.

If there's one thing I know for sure it's that to ignore or minimise the obvious strengths of your opponent is the absolute best way to ensure said strengths will be strongly brought to bear against you. Labour were too busy eating each other to notice that Abbott was killing them in the street handshake stakes. Abbott is an extremely personable bloke too and I remember feeling genuinely sorry for him when that bloke who everyone thought was his son turned out not to be, mainly because he did genuinely appear gutted about the whole thing. I mean, where do people think the 'real Julia' thing came from? Whatever you think about Abbott the politician, Abbott the man is a stand-up guy and it shows when you compare it to the highly-scripted, tightly-controlled, conniving and largely two-faced ****wits inhabiting the other party right now.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 10-09-2013 at 01:38 AM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    you're all dumb. as dumb as bishop.
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

bushfires will always affect new south welshmen more under a liberal government

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
    I take a more 'extreme' stance. I think religious views should be completely stamped out from the political domain. You have to ask, what do religious views on political issues provide that a secular approach doesn't? I think the answer is absolutely nothing. However, I do think they can't often detract from working out the best possible solution (for example, Abbott's views on abortion and gay marriage).
    I think the answer is reflecting the views of a segment of society who, whether you like it or not, do in fact exist and do have the right to air their views.

Anyway, I'm going to leave the debate there because I cbf going around and around in circles.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    bushfires will always affect new south welshmen more under a liberal government
    the boy Baum took it up a notch

Greg Baum ‏@GregBaum 43s
    Look what the asylum seekers have done in Fiona Scott's electorate now.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    i really do not think the future of the planet hinges on the decisions of tony abbott in his first term.

i mean, i'm as strong a believer in climate change as you'll find, but come on.

Thread Information