Cricket Player Manager
Page 815 of 1001 FirstFirst ... 315715765805813814815816817825865915 ... LastLast
Results 12,211 to 12,225 of 15004
Like Tree312Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

Seems like an even more narrow perspective than the normal version.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    i'm gonna read it in that whenever i go the guardian website it ****ing redirects me to the Aus version
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Don't lie. We know you can't read

i can only read numbers and the numbers reveal another 9thmond loss on the weekend

How could you know who the teams are then? #plothole

well i just assumed the team with the lower score was 9thmond

was i right?

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Mar'n Fersssun announcing he's lea'in parlmen' a' the nex eleshun.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

I was thinking this morning that it's sad that economic management in this country has been reduced to whether or not you deliver a surplus. Howard and Costello started this furphy, and the Coalition and Swan/Gillard have kicked it along.

To me, economic management is getting your labour laws right (flexibility with a safety net), providing incentives for workforce participation through the tax and Centrelink systems, and investing in productivity enhancing infrastructure...all things which go towards boosting productivity.

THat said, having huge debt is not good as it means billions in interest repayments that could be deployed productively are frittered away. But a modest amount of debt is no bad thing particularly if it was incurred for productivity purposes or as a Government stimulus in times of contraction.

All told, we need to get away from the idea that a suplus = economic management
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    I was thinking this morning that it's sad that economic management in this country has been reduced to whether or not you deliver a surplus. Howard and Costello started this furphy, and the Coalition and Swan/Gillard have kicked it along.

To me, economic management is getting your labour laws right (flexibility with a safety net), providing incentives for workforce participation through the tax and Centrelink systems, and investing in productivity enhancing infrastructure...all things which go towards boosting productivity.

THat said, having huge debt is not good as it means billions in interest repayments that could be deployed productively are frittered away. But a modest amount of debt is no bad thing particularly if it was incurred for productivity purposes or as a Government stimulus in times of contraction.

Did someone kidnap howardj and replace him?

Definitely agree with the gist of the above

Yeah, good post HJ.

Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post

Nice post. Very truthful. Again, surprised it was you that pointed this out
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

The problem is it doesn't matter how many media analysts or economists say it, until some senior politicians come out and properly explain to everyone that not all debt levels are bad (obviously depends on the size of your GDP and the context of the debt), and that some budget deficits are necessary, nothing will change. I honestly believe its more Swan's fault than anyone's.

Mind you, imagine the surpluses Howard and Costello would have had if they removed all those middle class welfare benefits.

“Kennett disagreed with Howard on the role of government. He thought surpluses should be used to repay debt, and to act as a buffer against bad times, not to redistribute to swinging voters…But once Kennett lost office, politics reverted to the old school of handouts – not only at the state level, but federally, where Howard saw Kennett’s defeat in 1999 as an omen. He told Kennett he should have given voters back some of the surplus, instead of hoarding it for a future Labor government to enjoy.”

Thread Information