Page 807 of 964 FirstFirst ... 307707757797805806807808809817857907 ... LastLast
Results 12,091 to 12,105 of 14454
Like Tree206Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Nah they exist already:

Bringing people together.

I'm always waiting for a party to fess up and come out with a slogan reading "We'll bend you over and use you till your bowlegged" but so far the only party to do so has been the Sex Party.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwgu8_b0Vw

RIP Craig

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Ah, cousin Grant.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Personally I find it a tad strange that people are saying that private companies would never make an investment like the NBN because it wouldn't be profitable, and then turning around and saying the NBN will be profitable for the government. As uvelocity was saying - forgive my scepticism in the idea that a government led by either side of politics could turn a telecommunications profit on something Telstra and Optus don't think would be profitable.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

*Sigh*

It will be profitable because overall the profit from the use of it in the cities will more than compensate for the cost associated with deploying it to the redneck LNP supporters in Bum****, Qld.

Optus or Telstra won't deploy the network to the bush because it's not profitable for them to do so in the first place. They look at whether rolling it out to a certain area is profitable, not whether the the whole thing will be profitable once it's set up everywhere. Which is fair enough becuase they're a private enterprise (not that Telstra should be, but there you go).

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Personally I find it a tad strange that people are saying that private companies would never make an investment like the NBN because it wouldn't be profitable, and then turning around and saying the NBN will be profitable for the government. As uvelocity was saying - forgive my scepticism in the idea that a government led by either side of politics could turn a telecommunications profit on something Telstra and Optus don't think would be profitable.
    That's not what we said.

EDIT: Burgey.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    *Sigh*

It will be profitable because overall the profit from the use of it in the cities will more than compensate for the cost associated with deploying it to the redneck LNP supporters in Bum****, Qld.

Optus or Telstra won't deploy the network to the bush because it's not profitable for them to do so in the first place. They look at whether rolling it out to a certain area is profitable, not whether the the whole thing will be profitable once it's set up everywhere. Which is fair enough becuase they're a private enterprise (not that Telstra should be, but there you go).
    Should this be the case, though, why didn't Optus or Telstra just deploy it in the cities themselves?

You're making the argument that it'll be so profitable in the cities that it'll make up for regional losses, and I'm sceptical of that because Optus and Telstra hadn't bothered with it at all in any area. It wasn't just a case of Telstra and Optus planning on metropolitan development and the government hijacking their plan and extending it to the bush; the private sector had no immediate plans for it at all.

Because there wasn't the technology before, and because Telstra has a monopoly on the existing copper network, which is why Optus couldn't do it.

The thing which the telcos wouldn't roll out before was a good mobile network. Broadband is analagous to that - they won't do it because it's not in their commercial interest to have cable running to all the regions.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    *Sigh*

There's also this gem from the NBN corporate plan:

NBN Co retains the flexibility to modify the rate at which future prices are decreased in the event that actual data usage and / or speed growth is higher or lower than assumed in the 2012-15 Corporate Plan
    The joys of government-backed monopolies.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Personally don't think they should roll it out to the bush. It's just a waste. If you choose to live in the middle of nowhere, then you won't want to be in touch with the rest of the world. A trip into town 150 miles away for the groceries is an adventure. there's no way those people could cope with the interwebz.

in comparison to wentworthville where a trip for the groceries involves riding in an armoured vehicle, never via the same route, in order to protect oneself from IED's and insurgents.

But those in wenty will soon be able to order their shopping online via the NBN, unlike the hicks in the bush.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    i'm not sure why we don't just nuke rural areas

i mean, i'm sure the usa will share some old nukes with us if we ask
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Thread Information