Page 806 of 975 FirstFirst ... 306706756796804805806807808816856906 ... LastLast
Results 12,076 to 12,090 of 14622
Like Tree237Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

yeah thats alright mate, but i don't want to be paying for every tom dick and harry to be able to upload their animals or anything else faster.

if it's important for business to have these capabilities (for mine it's not) then they can pay. it's a cost of doing business. I'd suggest technology parks (as decentralised as feasible) be fast tracked for fibre to the premise and they bear the cost. or at least a portion of it. Home based work should not be a national priority either.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    I've seen a few clearly Lib types perpetuating this and it puzzles me greatly.
    It's not particularly puzzling. Politics in this country is about discrediting your opposition, even when it's stupid to do so. Say "NO" well enough, loudly enough and in the right places and people will ignore reality and believe you.

Its a cancer at the core of our country.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwgu8_b0Vw

RIP Craig

sausage; i'm all for doctors in rural communities to utilise the benefits. so run fibre to the closest hospital. he doesn't need to be doing it in his home based surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    yeah thats alright mate, but i don't want to be paying for every tom dick and harry to be able to upload their animals or anything else faster.

if it's important for business to have these capabilities (for mine it's not) then they can pay. it's a cost of doing business. I'd suggest technology parks (as decentralised as feasible) be fast tracked for fibre to the premise and they bear the cost. or at least a portion of it. Home based work should not be a national priority either.
    I know some of it comes down to which side of the right/left divide you sit on, but a Government supporting services that some people don't use a great deal isn't unreasonable. I don't have kids and I don't go to school. Why should my money go towards education? I haven't been to a public hospital in years. The government shouldn't pay for that either. I have private health insurance, so screw medicare.

The difference is absolutely everyone in this country actually will use this infrastructure. Some (many) will use it for entertainment (and it will open up huge options for entertainment access, specifically sport) but I truly believe major services will be developed on the back of it being nationwide and uniform that wouldn't be possible if it were only rolled out to those that use it.
    Last edited by Ausage; 09-05-2013 at 07:07 PM.

sausage; i'm all for doctors in rural communities to utilise the benefits. so run fibre to the closest hospital. he doesn't need to be doing it in his home based surgery.
    I understand that, my point is that many of the services may not be economically feasible (and therefore never developed) if there isn't infrastructure across the country to support it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    I know some of it comes down to which side of the right/left divide you sit on, but a Government supporting services that some people don't use a great deal isn't unreasonable. I don't have kids and I don't go to school. Why should my money go towards education? I haven't been to a public hospital in years. The government shouldn't pay for that either. I have private health insurance, so screw medicare.

The difference is absolutely everyone in this country actually will use this infrastructure. Some (many) will use it for entertainment (and it will open up huge options for entertainment access, specifically sport) but I truly believe major services will be developed on the back of it being nationwide and uniform that wouldn't be possible if it were only rolled out to those that use it.
    but we don't build highways to every house so people can get home faster, it'd be lovely but unneccessary, a road will suffice. i'd love faster internet, but the cost imposition for private entertainment purposes is against the national interest imo.

and build it across the country, and especially into smaller cities to encourage their growth. but to every existing private residence increases the cost exponentially and is not worth it. using high speed internet as a tool to decentralise could even be considered, the cost to implement in new developments would be significantly cheaper.
    Last edited by uvelocity; 09-05-2013 at 07:16 PM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    A regional-only NBN? You can't have it both ways; build it uniform or not at all. Anything else is genuinely economic unfeasible.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 09-05-2013 at 07:29 PM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

but we don't build highways to every house so people can get home faster, it'd be lovely but unneccessary, a road will suffice. i'd love faster internet, but the cost imposition for private entertainment purposes is against the national interest imo.

and build it across the country, and especially into smaller cities to encourage their growth. but to every existing private residence increases the cost exponentially and is not worth it. using high speed internet as a tool to decentralise could even be considered, the cost to implement in new developments would be significantly cheaper.
    We do build highways so people can get home faster, though like the NBN, it's not the only application for the infrastructure. I don't think a highway to every home is even technically possible but if it was I'd support it because it would make the city more productive, and would provide benefits in my personal life.

BTW this is all ignoring the fact that the NBN will actually make the government money. The government will own the infrastructure and make a profit off the people using it. The real question will be whether consumers will pay possibly higher fees to access faster internet. Personally my money's going with the faster kitten video uploads.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    BTW this is all ignoring the fact that the NBN will actually make the government money. The government will own the infrastructure and make a profit off the people using it. The real question will be whether consumers will pay possibly higher fees to access faster internet. Personally my money's going with the faster kitten video uploads.
    Yep.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    You can't have a regional only NBN.

Let alone have decent regional service which the market provides. Telstra and Optus had 20 years to build a decent regional mobile phone network in the bush and they squibeed it because there's no money in it for them. It's perfectly understandable that they'd not build it for that reason, but ffs it just ignores reality when you hear people say the market will look after the regions. It won't.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

i think youse mates misunderstand me

fibre to the node everywhere, and plan fibre to the premise in regional areas to make them more attractive to develop. public money to be skewed towards helping the decentralised development.

in regard to the government making money from it, forgive my skepticism.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    The government made money out of Telstra for years, then sold it so people could buy shares in something they already owned, and lose money on those shares when they did so.

in regard to the government making money from it, forgive my skepticism.
    Are you skeptical because you don't think the infrastructure will be able to turn a profit, or because you think the current Labor government is incapable of turning a profit with it?

Because the latter point isn't particularly relevant. This infrastructure will last for 60 years at the very least. It will be managed by Liberal, Labor and possibly even parties that don't exist yet.

Are you skeptical because you don't think the infrastructure will be able to turn a profit, or because you think the current Labor government is incapable of turning a profit with it?

Because the latter point isn't particularly relevant. This infrastructure will last for 60 years at the very least. It will be managed by Liberal, Labor and possibly even parties that don't exist yet.
    Nah they exist already:

i have no faith in any of em

Thread Information