Page 796 of 964 FirstFirst ... 296696746786794795796797798806846896 ... LastLast
Results 11,926 to 11,940 of 14454
Like Tree206Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    The underlying, almost unspoken goal of the IPA is to drag the Liberal Party away from social conservatism and towards a party based on small government and individual freedom.
    The last leader to fit the above description lost in 96.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    There is no picture you lying son of a bitch.
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    Andrew Bolt I'm pretty sure.
    Explains why it's going...he was involved in their gala dinner the other night wasn't he? Good to see the Libs can come up with 'policy for the boys' without a union.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Yeah Murdoch and Bolt are big players in the IPA and some of those policies in the list of 75 just scream either Bolt or Murdoch specifically. Not that I necessarily disagree with the ones that do, mind you. Murdoch gave a great speech at the 70th anniversary dinner.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

Do you think JH will reside at Admiralty House or Yarralumla?
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Yeah, the IPA's (I believe entirely unofficial, but very much real) policy on sport is that it should be treated as an industry just like any other, without the need for romanticism or contrived fairness. To me it's actually a classic example of why you can't apply the same ideology to every single situation, as the romanticism and fair competitiveness of sport is what keeps people interested. Given it's a section of the entertainment industry, it needs that interest to actually be financially viable in the first place. It doesn't actually produce anything so if you take away all the reasons for which people become emotionally invested in it - logically or otherwise - then the industry will cease to exist.

Treating the inner workings of sport as financial markets is never going to work.
    What are your general views of Chris Berg?

And also, what are your views on this article? : Sport and betting have always been teammates

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    My opinion, and it is definitive so the discussion can move on, is that Chris Berg is as dumb as dog **** and a stupid ****. The entire IPA are stupid ****s. There isn't a brain between them.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Always knew Burgey and PEWS were the same person.

He is as thick as whipped **** though. Haven't you heard him speak?

Anyway, my tailor is here with my new suit.

More of this anon.

What are you talking about? I wanted to know what PEWS' opinion is on Berg's specific view regarding sport considering his post about sport and how he disagrees with the IPA view on sport just being another industry.

Ftr I have heard Berg speak - http://www.aiia.asn.au/nsw-events/ev...o-conservative
    Last edited by Jono; 11-04-2013 at 12:55 AM.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    My opinion, and it is definitive so the discussion can move on, is that Chris Berg is as dumb as dog **** and a stupid ****. The entire IPA are stupid ****s. There isn't a brain between them.
    no wonder pews loves them

(he's a robot)

robots have brains:

Oh man, this ****ing suit. Sooooooo good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    What are your general views of Chris Berg?

And also, what are your views on this article? : Sport and betting have always been teammates
    I quite like Chris Berg on the whole. I do think he's sometimes guilty of taking one blanket stance on everything without fully considering the intricacies of each situation, sport being an obvious example at this point, but he writes extremely well and I do agree with a lot of what he has to say. He probably personifies my views of the IPA in general; hand on heart I probably wouldn't want him or the IPA as a whole running the country because some of the ideas really lack perspective, however I think its core principles are ones on which the country should definitely move more towards.

I read that article the other day. It's an interesting one for me, and I can see why you asked me about it. I'm an IPA member who openly disagrees with their stance on sport however I'm also someone who makes a consistent profit on sports betting. I certainly agree with parts of that article, but I don't really agree with the rationale it uses at all. The reason people have no right to complain about Tom Waterhouse ads isn't that sport is an industry like any other; it's that sports betting is an industry like any other. Industry has to work around the intrinsically tribal and romantic nature of each sport; not the other way around as the IPA claims, but the sports betting industry as a whole has IMO done a great job of that.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 11-04-2013 at 01:48 AM.

I quite like Chris Berg on the whole. I do think he's sometimes guilty of taking one blanket stance on everything without fully considering the intricacies of each situation, sport being an obvious example at this point, but he writes extremely well and I do agree with a lot of what he has to say. He probably personifies my views of the IPA in general; hand on heart I probably wouldn't want him or the IPA as a whole running the country because some of the ideas really lack perspective, however I think its core principles are ones on which the country should definitely move more towards.

I read that article the other day. It's an interesting one for me, and I can see why you asked me about it. I'm an IPA member who openly disagrees with their stance on sport however I'm also someone who makes a consistent profit on sports betting. I certainly agree with parts of that article, but I don't really agree with the rationale it uses at all. The reason people have no right to complain about Tom Waterhouse ads isn't that sport is an industry like any other; it's that sports betting is an industry like any other. Industry has to work around the intrinsically tribal and romantic nature of each sport; not the other way around as the IPA claims, but the sports betting industry as a whole has IMO done a great job of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Quite.

Thread Information