Page 71 of 981 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121171571 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 14704
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Mate, I admire any man who has the self-confidence to 'leather up'.
    lol
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    I'm re-naming this chap Mohammed 'Tampa' Haneef. lol

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22281860-2,00.html
    It's like the Tampa sunk, then was raised up again - like that terrible "Raise the Titanic" movie from the 80s....

God that was an awful film.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Then why did he increase his majority at the election this year when these amalgamations were on the table?

Mate, you're really starting to sound like some of the party posters who inhabit the various newspaper blogs

Rudd is running, in a protracted lead up to a formal campaign, a low risk strategy and it's working for him so far. In other words, he's playing at politics just as John Howard did in 1996. It's hardly surprising that he's doing it, though I accept that it is frustrating for coalition supporters that he's refusing to be wedged so far. Maybe the government needs to try a less transparent wedge rather than the blindingly obvious ones they've tried to bung on recently.

You say that there's no substance to the bloke, yet he's set the agenda on any number of issues this year, as reflected by the reaction of the government to things which he's announced. He's plainly very bright and served as a diplomat in the foreign affairs department and he speaks a few languages. He's set agendas on education, climate and affordability this year alone. Seems pretty substantial frankly.

So he doesn't have the solutions. Does the government, which has had 11 years to do something about it? It's been on their watch that things have become less affordable - where's their solution? Glass houses mate, which is why Howard gave tacit approval to Rudd's rental assistance scheme when it came out last week - he knows people have the ****s about things like that and it's hurting him.

Are you suggesting he should announce all of his policies now, before the campaign is launched? Let's get serious here mate. We all know that both sides will make their policy announcements once the campaign starts. In the mean time there'll be this sparring which always goes on as both sides try their best not to have any serious stuff ups before the real business starts.

I've heard a number of the more conservative commentators say that Labor has no policies, etc. etc. Well, it's ironic that they should raise that, given that the government made zero mention in 2004 of the single most contentious policy it has introduced since that election. Let's face it, if Howard had not introduced Workchoices he would be cruising now.

Whether or not it proves his personal Arnhem, who knows?
    Mate, it wouldn't be much fun if you can't have a random outburst at the other party's leader. I still maintain, not just on the basis that he's yet to release major policies, that Rudd is a fake. He's a Morris Iemma-type 'product'. Surely you don't like the man. The funniest thing in the last few days has been people saying (because he went to a strip club) that Rudd is 'one of us'. This man is so much not one of us, it's not funny. He's a pretentious, cynical, condescending fraud. And the Libs are about to expose this monster of a man. lol. He won't know what's hit him, once they start their advertisements. They're going to, metaphorically speaking, rip his throat out!

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Mate, it wouldn't be much fun if you can't have a random outburst at the other party's leader. I still maintain, not just on the basis that he's yet to release major policies, that Rudd is a fake. He's a Morris Iemma-type 'product'. Surely you don't like the man. The funniest thing in the last few days has been people saying (because he went to a strip club) that Rudd is 'one of us'. This man is so much not one of us, it's not funny. He's a pretentious, cynical, condescending fraud. And the Libs are about to expose this monster of a man. lol. He won't know what's hit him, once they start their advertisements. They're going to, metaphorically speaking, rip his throat out!
    But name a prominent politician that is 'one of us'...I can think of anyone from either side that qualifies and is in a position to assume the leadership (or continue it) at the current time. You could use all the terms you've mentioned to describe Howard as well, and throw in arrogant for good measure. Politicians are out of touch with us, because a great majority of them don't live like us, or should I say we don't live like them.

As far as the advertisements go, isn't there something better to be spending the money on? We hear all about the budget surplus, when is something going to be done about education? Or is all this money saved up to spend when an election year comes around and there's points to be won? Rather than spend ridiculous amounts of money on advertisements that usually contain an extremely small grain of truth surrounded by a massive amount of rhetoric (and again, this goes for both sides), why not just ask people who are complete idiots and thus assumed to be the type who'll fall for this crap to put their hands up and they can be presented with a small handout/a stripper's g-string/the fiscal report.

It'll be interesting to see how many times we're presented with the economic state from 12 years ago as proof that a government will be ultimately unsuccessful (were any of them there?). Only to find out interest rates go up again, but it's not their fault like it was the government in 1995 when the economy wasn't good, but then they can guarantee something they have no control over won't change, until it does, and then it's not their fault again.

It's a bit confusing...and I'm strapping myself in cause there's going to be a hell of a lot more where that came from!

I have to ask though, is the reason politicians are based in Canberra because this is the only place they'd appear remotely interesting?
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Anyone else seen those "Know Where You Stand" bus stop ads for the new workplace relations laws? At the one nearest my house, someone's written "Up **** Creek" right underneath it with a black permanent marker. The writing is pretty much identical to the writing used in the ad, had to make a double take tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Question Howardj - do you actually believe half the hyperbole that you put forward in this thread. I'm not attacking the sincerity of you identification with conservative ideas and policy, or your right to have an opinion. But a lot of the stuff you say seems to just be parroting whatever line Howard or his brains trust are trying to push. But saying that Rudd is a "monster of a man"??? Do you really think he is, or is it just spin?
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    As far as the advertisements go, isn't there something better to be spending the money on? We hear all about the budget surplus, when is something going to be done about education? Or is all this money saved up to spend when an election year comes around and there's points to be won?
    It's an unfortunate reality that if you want to get elected you can't really not have the puff-piece ads we see every day on TV. Quite simply, whether politicians are just trying to get elected or whether they genuinely have policies they yearn to implement is immaterial when the upshot of not campaigning like they do is non-election.
    'Copperfield,' said Mr. Micawber, 'farewell! Every happiness and prosperity! If, in the progress of revolving years, I could persuade myself that my blighted destiny had been a warning to you, I should feel that I had not occupied another man's place in existence altogether in vain.
    - Wilkins Micawber

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Question Howardj - do you actually believe half the hyperbole that you put forward in this thread. I'm not attacking the sincerity of you identification with conservative ideas and policy, or your right to have an opinion. But a lot of the stuff you say seems to just be parroting whatever line Howard or his brains trust are trying to push. But saying that Rudd is a "monster of a man"??? Do you really think he is, or is it just spin?
    I said 'Monster of a man lol.' as in 'laugh out loud'.

Obviously he's not a monster.

But yeah, in my view, there's no doubt it would be a retrogressive step to elect Labor.

Replacing Peter Costello with Wayne Swann for example.

You only have to say that out loud to realise the absurdity of it.

The only thing Swann has ever managed was a corrupt branch of the Qld Labor Party.

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    I said 'Monster of a man lol.' as in 'laugh out loud'.
    Ohhhhh, LOL! That changes everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Casson View Post
    Ohhhhh, LOL! That changes everything!
    Yeah, sorry I'll check with you first next time. Whoever you are.

Replacing Peter Costello with Wayne Swann for example.

You only have to say that out loud to realise the absurdity of it.
    Just tried saying it out loud. Yet to realise that's its absurd. Making John Howard PM seemed ridiculous until it happened. Steve Bracks - sorry, Steve who? - being Premier of Victoria seemed ludicrous until it happened.

Its almost always a "surprise" when an incumbant gets tossed out - especially when they've been in office for 10 years+ because of course the opposition will almost invariably have little actual experience at running a government. But generally they all manage to get by without the place falling to bits and packs of wild dogs carrying half of us away, despite what those who are currently in power would have us believe. And after a year or two, its the opposition who looked like a rabble, and it seems inconceivable that they could replace the government.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Casson View Post
    It's an unfortunate reality that if you want to get elected you can't really not have the puff-piece ads we see every day on TV. Quite simply, whether politicians are just trying to get elected or whether they genuinely have policies they yearn to implement is immaterial when the upshot of not campaigning like they do is non-election.
    Hmmm, I suppose you're right. I've got an idea though, and call me insane if you like...how about addressing important issues throughout the term of your government. Wow, wouldn't that be out of left field. That way, a favourable impression built up over 4 years would outweigh a campaign of propoganda staged over 5 months. It's idealistic and never going to happen, but it'd be nice! haha

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    It does seem a little easy atm, waiting for the Libs to do something
    You know it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    It does seem a little easy atm, waiting for the Libs to do something
    Pfft. How an unknown opposition leader is viewed now as to how they're viewed on election day, is often very different - witness Hewson and Latham. Granted, Rudd is a different character from those chaps, but the public will eventually see through him. I do love his Peter Beattie routine though: "I stuffed up, but I take full responsibility".

More spin than Warnie, this bloke.

Bolt: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...007146,00.html

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Kindly point out a response which Rudd could have given which wasn't "spin", then?

I do find it amusingly hypocritical given Rudd's dark ages socially conservative views on certain issues that he went to a strip club and got busted hassling the girls or whatever he was "warned" for, but if you think Howard is any more "honest" or "real" or whatever you're kidding yourself.

Rudd basically had two options, within the realms of political reality. He could deny it, or he could admit it and try and pass it off as an honest mistake. He chose the one which was, relatively speaking, the honest option.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Thread Information