Page 709 of 931 FirstFirst ... 209609659699707708709710711719759809 ... LastLast
Results 10,621 to 10,635 of 13963
Like Tree137Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    The federal opposition has abandoned its principle of opposing all the measures the mining tax will fund and support $2.9 billion in welfare increases to be funded by the levy.

BROKEN PROMISE

Pretty meh budget really. Nothing really bad, nothing really good.
    thought a lot and read a lot over the past few days. and you know what? i actually really quite like it.

in a few decades time, the two finest achievements of this govt will have found their genesis in the budget - aged care, NDIS. they are properly good policies, esp the second.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    They've done ok for a bunch of fiscal no-hopers.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    I actually quite like the look of that budget to be honest. I don't think the Liberals could have done much better.

Won't save the Gillard government though. I highly doubt they can even challenge the Abbott opposition going in to the next election, which is horrible for the country IMO. He'll be a dire PM, and shouldn't be anywhere near the top job.
    What, worse than Rudd and Gillard?

As far as character goes, the only thing the Labor party have on him is that he opposes the killing of unborn babies (somehow making him "anti-women").

Oh, and he's now according to Gillard, out of touch with working families - despite having a big mortgage, three kids etc.

Yes, according to Gillard, of all people.
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Abbott will be a do-nothing style PM. He will try and undo the Labor work but it won't pass the Senate unless Liberals get a 1975 style win (not impossible at this stage). He then will play the role of Mr. Populist. Personally, it wouldn't surprise me if he is a one-term PM.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Some funny Kroger-Costello stuff on the radio in Melbourne this morning apparently.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Some funny Kroger-Costello stuff on the radio in Melbourne this morning apparently.
    Kroger is one of the few people on the Oz political scene that can rival the great man for title of biggest ****

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    was the budget reply just the same old same old?
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    What, worse than Rudd and Gillard?

As far as character goes, the only thing the Labor party have on him is that he opposes the killing of unborn babies (somehow making him "anti-women").

Oh, and he's now according to Gillard, out of touch with working families - despite having a big mortgage, three kids etc.

Yes, according to Gillard, of all people.
    Reckon there's a chance he could be as bad. Although as long as he hands out tax cuts and re-instates middle-class welfare most people will be happy.

Just want to see us lapse into a recession when they get in. Firstly to see how they handle it, and then to watch them blame Labor for some reason or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    thought a lot and read a lot over the past few days. and you know what? i actually really quite like it.

in a few decades time, the two finest achievements of this govt will have found their genesis in the budget - aged care, NDIS. they are properly good policies, esp the second.
    Like all Labor budgets, there's usually a few nuggets of goodness in them. Occasionally the ALP come up with something that revolutionises the country in a good way (Medicare for example). The problem is that in all of the "little things" they totally royally screw everything up. I support the idea of people having children. I have a totally adorable niece. But handing out huge wads of cash to people who made that choice instead of greasing the wheels of business? Terrible budgetary policy.

This is really why Whitlam lost power while his "big reform" still lives on. Labor have the idea, the Liberals make it work.

Out of interest, what was the last transformative economic reform from the Coalition?

Don't say the GST, it didn't transform the economy, didn't change the way it operated one bit. All it did was change the way indirect tax was collected.

And also, lol Thommo.

Out of interest, what was the last transformative economic reform from the Coalition?
    WorkChoices.
    ~ Cribbage

Enlighten me on how that transformed the economy. Productivity didn't rise an iota.

Don't say the GST, it didn't transform the economy, didn't change the way it operated one bit. All it did was change the way indirect tax was collected.

And also, lol Thommo.
    The waterfront reforms.

Oh wait, you said "last" and that was more like the first.

The last major economic reform was workchoices, but that got rolled back. Before that I think it was probably the great taxation reform of 2001 (or was it 02?) where the tax brackets were close to doubled.

The waterfront reforms didn't transform the economy ffs. You can't say you've transformed the economy when productivity goes backwards or stagnates. Likewise the GST tax changes. They neither improved productivity or materially changed the way the economy worked.

Let's hear about the big ones. Things like, oh I dunno....

Floating the currency
    Deregulating the financial markets
    Ending centralised wage fixing
    Introducing a nation wide savings plan

You know, those sorts of things.

I'm genuinely interested to hear these things.

If you like I'll lower the bar. Name three nationally funded, broad-based infrastructure projects carried out by the Commonwealth between 1996 and 2007.

As far as I can recall there was the Adelaide to Darwin white elephant. There's one. What are the others? I'm not taking the piss here, I genuinely want to hear abut them.

Thread Information