Page 675 of 988 FirstFirst ... 175575625665673674675676677685725775 ... LastLast
Results 10,111 to 10,125 of 14818
Like Tree285Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

Bill Shorten must be the most high profile man without a face in history.

FFS he'd probably be in the four or five most recognisable govt ministers along with Gillard, Swan, Combet
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    I think (and hope) it was Mathew Franklin who copped the smack down. Fmd it was a cracker.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I think (and hope) it was Mathew Franklin who copped the smack down. Fmd it was a cracker.
    Basically called him a rude **** and told him to get in line, right? Was great.

Yeah, that was a major error, not announcing clearly why he was tossed out. It left people wondering why, if it was simply a case of "losing your way" they didn't just give him a clip over the ear, rather than an execution.

And lol, Therese Rein out spruiking for hubby now. It's pretty clear Rudd's approach is roughly this:

- He knows he doesn't have the numbers in caucus
    - He is pitching to the electorate rather than the caucus
    - There's a poll wihich will be released on Sunday night I'd say
    - It will say he's preferred over her
    - He'll try to get his numbers up high enough on the back of that poll to have a second tilt.

Outwardly, it's bizarre to pitch it to the electorate when the people deciding are his colleagues. The above line is the only one I can think of that makes any sense.
    Exactly, he wants the polls to change the mind of the MPs.

Problem is, the polls this far out are no worse than what they were for Howard before most of his election wins.

If the polls are like this in December though...
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Basically called him a rude **** and told him to get in line, right? Was great.
    Yeah, was apparently Michael Owen, SA bureau chief for the Oz.

I should also say, once Gillard wins on Monday, as expected, she should take a new approach.

Whatever her and her advisers' first political instinct is, do the opposite.
    Last edited by Burgey; 22-02-2012 at 05:17 PM.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    should probably sack all the advisers too.
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

I think one point to be made is that people overstate the argument that: "they will never return to Rudd because they loathe him".

I would say most people during the course of their working life would spend at least 10 years of it (aggregate) working for a prick of a boss. It's work, it's not family or friends - you do what you have to do.

Likewise, for MP's, this is their careers at stake.

That said, Rudd (being the prick he is) will only ever be a last resort, but he certainly is not the first guy to be a **** of a boss.

I should also say, once Gillard wins on Monday, as expected, she should take a new approach.

Whatever her and her advisers' first political instinct is, do the opposite.
    reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where George says: 'every decision I've ever made in my life has been wrong. So now I'm going to do the opposite".

The thing about Rudd is, this has been painted as just the caucus hating him, when that is patently untrue.

He is not capable of running a national government. And in a reasonable world that would be the end of it. Because the spill on Monday is for Prime Minister of this country... not beat-Tony-Abbott Minister.

What's the threshold for Rudd on Monday? I reckon if he gets 40 (a full 18 months out!) Gillard is toast. Except of course if there is an uptick in the polls for Gillard over coming months, in which case Rudd is finished. The only thing giving this oxygen, is the bad polls.

Anyway, RE the earlier point about the media coverage of this saga being vindicated by the events of the last few days...

I think the complaints about the media coverage have more been the constant predictions by guys like Shanahan, Benson etc that Gillard will be gone by October, then December, then January etc.

Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Anyway, RE the earlier point about the media coverage of this saga being vindicated by the events of the last few days...

I think the complaints about the media coverage have more been the constant predictions by guys like Shanahan, Benson etc that Gillard will be gone by October, then December, then January etc.
    Yeah but I'm not talking about those that predicted Gillard's demise. That's separate to people who were complaining about those covering the Rudd destabilisation strategy and were saying "Oh I am ****ing bored of this Rudd vs. Gillard nonsense reporting, making **** up etc."
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Yeah but I'm not talking about those that predicted Gillard's demise. That's separate to people who were complaining about those covering the Rudd destabilisation strategy and were saying "Oh I am ****ing bored of this Rudd vs. Gillard nonsense reporting, making **** up etc."
    A good portion of political analysis in fairfax papers is simply wishful thinking for the ALP.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    A good portion of political analysis in fairfax papers is simply wishful thinking for the ALP.
    You obviously read them upside down then.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    How is covering the Rudd vs. Gillard saga ad nauseam wishful thinking?

Thread Information