Page 674 of 964 FirstFirst ... 174574624664672673674675676684724774 ... LastLast
Results 10,096 to 10,110 of 14454
Like Tree206Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Lol, some poor hack just copped a massive smack down. Hilarious.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
    hahaha.

Very much looking forward to seeing how Rudd is going to justify a challenge (if he goes for it), given his comments over the past few days.

I love as well how despite Gilliard and Rudd sharing fairly similar policies, the emphasis always seems to be on allowing the party to focus on "the real business of government"...na it's not about ego or anything like that is it?
    What I despise most is that the only justification that Rudd supporters have is that he's more likely to win an election. That's all.

Not, y'know, who's better to run the country given that that's exactly what the winner will have to do for at least 18 months...

Quality presser by Gillard. Kept answering questions for 15 minutes after her minders said "last question" and totally unloaded on one journo for being a **** at the end
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

That was a good press conference. When she's off the leash she's far better than the phoney **** she has done over the last 12-18 months.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

I think she's tried too hard to make herself "relatable" and "soft", and in the process everyone forgot what she really was and what she really should be - a really quite brutal attack politician

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Yeah he was stupid to take the bait thrown out there by Crean.
    I agree.

Time was his friend - even if Gillard sacked him, it would increase his matyrdom, and he could go to the backbench and just wait until a combination of the continuing bad polls and the proximity of the election, forced backbenches to act.

As it is now, by resigning and having just three days to organise a challenge (or look pathetic by not standing), time is his enemy. The whole thing is just all too soon for him. Such is the level of loathing for him, in my view he was only ever going to be an absolute last resort. Not somebody who they'd turn to 18 months out.
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    What I despise most is that the only justification that Rudd supporters have is that he's more likely to win an election. That's all.

Not, y'know, who's better to run the country given that that's exactly what the winner will have to do for at least 18 months...

Quality presser by Gillard. Kept answering questions for 15 minutes after her minders said "last question" and totally unloaded on one journo for being a **** at the end
    Yeah, well out of the two of them, I prefer Gillard to run the country. At least she follows through with things and gets them implemented. The seeds of Rudd's destruction was that he was just all announcement, but no follow through. He'd talk it up, but just showed no interest in the implementation, the details.

At least with Gillard, she's more focussed, and follows through. However, her problem is that she just comes across bad - she speaks to the electorate like she's speaking to schoolchildren, and she's just viewed as ruthless; as a cold political machine.
    Last edited by howardj; 22-02-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    I agree.

Time was his friend - even if Gillard sacked him, it would increase his matyrdom, and he could go to the backbench and just wait until a combination of the continuing bad polls and the proximity of the election, forced backbenches to act.

As it is now, by resigning and having just three days to organise a challenge (or look pathetic by not standing), time is his enemy. The whole thing is just all too soon for him. Such is the level of loathing for him, in my view he was only ever going to be an absolute last resort. Not somebody who they'd turn to 18 months out.
    The interesting thing is, everyone thought he'd have a crack but late this year when a lot of the difficult legislation is settled.

Say he was to win (and he won't - I can't see him getting more than 30 votes) he'd then have to consider whether he tried to repeal a lot of the legislation which has passed.

It's funny Rudd talking about "faceless men", he annouced his resignation and sent Bruce Hawker out to spruik for him!

The hilarious thing about it all is every minister has basically come out and said "Oh yeah, he was a **** of the highest order. We just pretended he wasn't publicly for a long time."

Should have just come out after they forced him to resign and said "yeah he was a wanker so we've made Julia leader. K cool?"

Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Yeah, well out of the two of them, I prefer Gillard to run the country. At least she follows through with things and gets them implemented. The seeds of Rudd's destruction was that he was just all announcement, but not follow through. He'd talk it up, but just showed no interest in the implementation, the details.

At least with Gillard, she's more focussed, and follows through. However, her problem is that she just comes across bad - she speaks to the electorate like she's speaking to schoolchildren, and she's just viewed as ruthless - a cold political machine.
    Absolutely correct, and because he couldn't run a public service to run his life.

I mean the stuff that's coming out of caucus isn't the opinion of just caucus. Basically any public servant, esp. senior public servant with personal exposure to the man - and a hell of a lot who don't - has the same opinion, and it's been around for far longer than just 2010. The signs were there as early as 2008, during the unholy mess that was the pre-budget period where he basically worked the entire city into the ground.

I think PMC has Gillard as a true hero since 2010 and DFAT is breathing sighs of relief today.

I agree that she has a connectivity issue, and hopefully this harder edged, more combative and angrier Gillard of this year will address that. In the end though, the former is or should be infinitely more important, since that's the government's job.

Yeah, all the people he says are faceless men, Feeney Farrell Arbib Shorten, are actually elected MPs

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post

yeah exactly. Makes me want to punch something, preferably Rudd in the face. The guy irritates me so much...everything about this has had so much though put into it and has been so meticulously planned, yet it's all been dismissed as a big 'soap opera' conceived by the media.

Those people who criticised the media for constantly covering the Rudd vs. Gillard saga look like dickheads tbh. It was real, it was happening, and the media didn't "create" anything. All they did was cover it.

Generally not a fan of the media by any stretch, but they knew Rudd was plotting. Hell he was telling some of them he was. If that was the case, clearly you have to write about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    The hilarious thing about it all is every minister has basically come out and said "Oh yeah, he was a **** of the highest order. We just pretended he wasn't publicly for a long time."

Should have just come out after they forced him to resign and said "yeah he was a wanker so we've made Julia leader. K cool?"
    Yeah, that was a major error, not announcing clearly why he was tossed out. It left people wondering why, if it was simply a case of "losing your way" they didn't just give him a clip over the ear, rather than an execution.

And lol, Therese Rein out spruiking for hubby now. It's pretty clear Rudd's approach is roughly this:

- He knows he doesn't have the numbers in caucus
    - He is pitching to the electorate rather than the caucus
    - There's a poll wihich will be released on Sunday night I'd say
    - It will say he's preferred over her
    - He'll try to get his numbers up high enough on the back of that poll to have a second tilt.

Outwardly, it's bizarre to pitch it to the electorate when the people deciding are his colleagues. The above line is the only one I can think of that makes any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Those people who criticised the media for constantly covering the Rudd vs. Gillard saga look like dickheads tbh. It was real, it was happening, and the media didn't "create" anything. All they did was cover it.

Generally not a fan of the media by any stretch, but they knew Rudd was plotting. Hell he was telling some of them he was. If that was the case, clearly you have to write about it!
    Rudd himself has been one of them: "The truth is that the Australian people regard this whole affair as little better than a soap opera, and they are right. And under current circumstances, I won't be part of it."

Rudd's pitch to MPs should be that if the polls continue as they are, this is all going to flare up again in six months time. The only way to put an end to it, to decisively move forward, is to reinstall him. She can't win, but I can.

He should forget about the 'faceless men' line.

Thread Information