Page 666 of 981 FirstFirst ... 166566616656664665666667668676716766 ... LastLast
Results 9,976 to 9,990 of 14709
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Considering the two weeks they've had, that probably counts as "great".
    Nielsen had it at 53-47, ER at 54-46.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Between August and say, December there was a an incremental swing back to Labor across the polls (from a very low base) but there's now little movement outside a 54-46 range, give or take the margin of error in any given poll.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Yep, the really crucial time for Gillard will be post-Budget (particularly with the return to surplus committment) and the weeks following the introduction of the Carbon tax. She needs some bounce from these things (May to August) to survive the traditional killing season (November-December preceding an election year).
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

And, if there is a bounce, I wouldn't rule out a change of leadership on the other side at year-end. Abbott is very much hostage to the polls. And, although it's true for most opposition leaders, I think it's especially true for Abbott, who is broadly speaking hard to warm to. Plus, if he sags in the polls, his positions on climate change and broadband will look out of step and not viable. Interesting times.
    Last edited by howardj; 13-02-2012 at 06:49 PM.

"I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    And, if there is a bounce, I wouldn't rule out a change of leadership on the other side at year-end. Abbott is very much hostage to the polls.
    I don't think the NSW disease is worth emulating.

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Wow, the knives are well and truly out now

Video emerges of union boss at tent embassy protest - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

But a woman, confirmed to be Ms Sattler, tells embassy member Barbara Shaw that "Abbott's just made a statement to the press that the tent embassy should be pulled down".
    She was first reported as having no part in the protest, then as saying she simply repeated what she had been told by Tony Hodges. She recanted after a call from the Prime Minister's office.

Yesterday she told ABC Radio that at no point did she say Mr Abbott had called for the embassy to be torn down.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    I don't think the NSW disease is worth emulating.
    I take your point, but two or three years (including one good shot at an election) is about the average life cycle for an Opp Leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    Wow, the knives are well and truly out now

Video emerges of union boss at tent embassy protest - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

But a woman, confirmed to be Ms Sattler, tells embassy member Barbara Shaw that "Abbott's just made a statement to the press that the tent embassy should be pulled down".
    She was first reported as having no part in the protest, then as saying she simply repeated what she had been told by Tony Hodges. She recanted after a call from the Prime Minister's office.

Yesterday she told ABC Radio that at no point did she say Mr Abbott had called for the embassy to be torn down.
    Well I suppose this is technically correct...
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Whatever people think of the ABC Four Corners story the other night, it was good to see some real journalism - some research and detective work which uncovered two juicy morsels, namely that GIllard had been circulating anti-Rudd polling, and that a leadership speech was being prepared in her office quite some time before the spill.

News rather than comment dressed up as news.
    Last edited by howardj; 15-02-2012 at 12:22 AM.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    typical rubbish from the right wing loving abc iirc
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Whatever people think of the ABC Four Corners story the other night, it was good to see some real journalism - some research and detective work which uncovered two juicy morsels, namely that GIllard had been circulating anti-Rudd polling, and that a leadership speech was being prepared in her office quite some time before the spill.

News rather than comment dressed up as news.
    Have trouble taking any program that cites Joe de Bruyn as a critical source seriously itbt.

It is on

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    If Rudd's dumb enough to challenge (and actually wins) then Labor can give up on the next election. People will get sick of him again within a couple of months as it'll be back to the same soundbites he used to dole out before. I honestly don't think he's a better option than Julia, but then she mightn't be too crash hot either.

Can't believe it's come back around to Rudd challenging again (if it actually has), the papers have been in love with the idea for the past few months though so it could be interesting.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Granted, I'm not an impartial observer, but I honestly think Rudd will give Labor something Costello would have given the Liberals in 2007, namely, a hearing. In 2007, people just switched off when Howard appeared on their TV screens; they did not listen. Gillard is at the same point. Labor will likely lose next year, but they very likely will lose under Gillard.

Thread Information