Cricket Player Manager
Page 663 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 163563613653661662663664665673713763 ... LastLast
Results 9,931 to 9,945 of 15020
Like Tree313Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

- Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Lol. Ray Hadley.

Of course, they might just have watched the TV news.

Or read this newspaper website

Or this one.
    Last edited by Burgey; 26-01-2012 at 10:37 PM.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

With a protest like that, I'm very much in favour of ending the tent embassy. No politician in this country should ever be endangered like that. It's very un-Australian and utterly disgraceful behaviour. We don't live in the US FFS.

It's interesting today that Abbott has indicated at no time did he say the Tent Embassy should be removed. John Bergin is the head of social media at Sky News. This is the context of Abbott's comments yesterday, according to him:

“@theburgerman: Mr Abbott was asked by a journalist, "Today is also the 40th anniversary of the Tent Embassy in Canberra. (1/2)”

“@theburgerman: *"Do you think it's still relevant or should it move?" (2/2)”

To my way of thinking, it really doesn't matter what Abbott said, the protestors must take responsibility for their actions. But if what Bergin says is true, it's disingenuous of Abbott to say he never suggested the tent embassy should move.

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Bob Carr is clearly more forthright with his opinion on the matter.

Thoughtlines with Bob Carr

from the ground

I was there and I would make the following remarks.
    A lot has been written in the press about the Prime Minister’s security scare yesterday, all of it overlooks the racial animus that Aboriginal leaders had whipped up at speeches delivered in front of the Tent Embassy in the lead up to the riot. Addressing the rally outside the Tent Embassy, speakers were uncompromising and irresponsible in the rhetoric they deployed against Australia’s democratically elected government and even white Australians. The worst instincts of the crowd were appealed to by all manner of racially inflammatory language directed against white Australia, language which stressed the importance of Aboriginal blood and denigrated Australians of European ancestry. The fevered rants stopped just short of calling for violence, with one speaker noting that, “he didn’t want a revolution, because too many people would get killed”. It is impossible to argue that the hate, and there is no other word, being preached at the Aboriginal Tent Embassy played no role in inciting the mob to rush the restaurant where the Prime Minister was dining. In fairness to the press, the media appeared not to be present at these speeches.

Suggestions that Tony Abbott’s remarks earlier in the day were responsible for the riotous behaviour did not appear to be evident in the behaviour of the crowd attempting to storm the restaurant, who were actually calling for the Prime Minister to come out and address them. In any event, Abbott’s remarks pale in comparison to the racial animosity generated by speakers addressing the Tent Embassy. Responsibility for inciting the riot rests in large measure with these individuals. Claims that Abbott caused the disturbance appear to be convenient ex-post rationalisations that completely ignore the tenor of the speakers addressing the Aboriginal rally that day.

Throughout the riot, the conduct of police was outstanding. During the incident they were forced to endure a constant torrent of verbal abuse including slurs of “Nazis”, “racists”, “white boy”, and claims that “you are not the law here”. A consistent theme of speakers earlier in the day was that neither Australian law or the Australian nation had any legitimacy. The courage and professionalism of the police in the face of threats of violence and a hurricane of vilification was impressive and a credit to their ranks. The decision to go ahead with the lunch at the Lobby restaurant in light of the febrile nature of the protests taking place next door was an unbelievably poor one.
    Sounds like a group whipped up by words with racial undertones then in prime position to deliberately misinterpret his words.

further refutation of some of the media reports about the protesters targeting Abbott alone:

Shame Gillard Shame.mpg - YouTube
    Last edited by Redbacks; 26-01-2012 at 11:32 PM.

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Lol. Ray Hadley.

Of course, they might just have watched the TV news.

Or read this newspaper website

Or this one.

Excuse me?

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Qld Election date announced

On 24 March, a lovely rinse of blue will wash over this great State
    An election on my birthday...couldn't have asked for more! What's your opinion on Campbell Newman? (I know it'll be positive )

Bloke comes across as the sort of guy who would give the whole electorate blowjobs if he thought it'd get him into office.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    An election on my birthday...couldn't have asked for more! What's your opinion on Campbell Newman? (I know it'll be positive )

Bloke comes across as the sort of guy who would give the whole electorate blowjobs if he thought it'd get him into office.
    Yeah, I think he's a bit of dictator, and pretty arrogant according to the people who have worked with him in City Council and in his days in the Army. That said, he presents as a competent person who won't frighten the horses.

See that Rudd plans to get heavily involved and use the Election as a springboard for a leadership tilt. I think it's a big mistake on his part. While, as a senior Qld-based Federal MP, it's unrealistic for him to not play any part in the State Election, the reality is that Bligh will get smashed. Best for him to just confine his involvement to the set piece campaign launch but otherwise keep his distance.

Having said all that, do you know that the Conservatives have not actually won an Election up here since Sir Joh in 1987! They didn't actually win outright in 1996, but rather won power in a by-election. So yeah, she's been a long time between drinks!

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Lol. What a beauty.

"I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Campbell Newman is very much the politician's politician. As lord-mayor he was very well liked and stormed to victory in the elections that he won. He's tended to display a real knack for saying just the right things at just the right time. He was regarded just as highly for his role in the floods last year as Bligh was.

He's not perfect, and by all reports is a bit of a control freak behind the scenes, but he's really the last best hope for the conservatives up here. If Newman can't win, it's another 20 years in opposition for the LNP.

The one reform that I really hope we get through after the election is a reinstatement of the legislative assembly. Those chumps who voted it away all those years ago should have been shot for treason.

Thread Information