Page 659 of 988 FirstFirst ... 159559609649657658659660661669709759 ... LastLast
Results 9,871 to 9,885 of 14818
Like Tree285Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

Whilst I am in the mood to rant about Oz, let me regale you with some examples

1. The Cost

I live in Dubai and thought it would be a nice treat to take the family home for the holidays so I did some research.

Flight - 16 hours

Accomodation on the the Gold Coast - $200 (****sville) to $400 per night

Crown Lager in a bar - $7 to $10

Steak in a restaurant - $40

Conclusion - whole family (mine, brother's, grandparents, etc) will be staying in suites in a 5 star resort beachfront resort in Asia for a fraction of the price per night and where beers cost $2

On a far more basic level, why the hell can I buy a Holden Commodore or can of Fosters, both of which are made in Oz, for 40% less in Dubai than at home?

I know the answer is "tax" but there is little wonder as to why the latter has just been sold to a foreign company because that cost imposition makes them a sitting duck (i.e. poor margins with little capital to expand)

2. Natural Resources

Uranium in Africa

Mines of similar quality resource and accessibility to Oz are unviable due to low margins despite the fact that unskilled workers are paid $900 p.a. in Africa as opposed to $90,000 p.a. in Australia.

However, the "geniuses" in Parliament decide that now is a good time to sell this precious resource to India :laugh.

**** me, where do we get these people?

Coal

Australia is the world's largest supplier but the rest of the world is investing in concessions in South America, Africa, Russia, etc because Oz will soon be uncompetitive

Fuel

Oz is an oil producer but cities such as Adelaide have less than 3 days reserve of petrol due to government restrictions on the operation and development of refineries.

Etc etc

Oz has one great industry and that is via pure luck

The other major contributors to GDP (tourism, services and agriculture) are either dead or on life support

Guys, wisen up

The country may not be broken but it is headed that way
    Last edited by social; 08-12-2011 at 12:19 PM.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Whilst I am in the mood to rant about Oz, let me regale you with some examples

1. The Cost

I live in Dubai and thought it would be a nice treat to take the family home for the holidays so I did some research.

Flight - 16 hours

Accomodation on the the Gold Coast - $200 (****sville) to $400 per night

Crown Lager in a bar - $7 to $10

Steak in a restaurant - $40

Conclusion - whole family (mine, brother's, grandparents, etc) will be staying in suites in a 5 star resort beachfront resort in Asia for a fraction of the price per night and where beers cost $2

On a far more basic level, why the hell can I buy a Holden Commodore or can of Fosters, both of which are made in Oz, for 40% less in Dubai than at home?

I know the answer is "tax" but there is little wonder as to why the latter has just been sold to a foreign company because that cost imposition makes them a sitting duck (i.e. poor margins with little capital to expand)

2. Natural Resources

Uranium in Africa

Mines of similar quality resource and accessibility to Oz are unviable due to low margins despite the fact that unskilled workers are paid $900 p.a. in Africa as opposed to $90,000 p.a. in Australia.

However, the "geniuses" in Parliament decide that now is a good time to sell this precious resource to India :laugh.

**** me, where do we get these people?

Coal

Australia is the world's largest supplier but the rest of the world is investing in concessions in South America, Africa, Russia, etc because Oz will soon be uncompetitive

Fuel

Oz is an oil producer but cities such as Adelaide have less than 3 days reserve of petrol due to government restrictions on the operation and development of refineries.

Etc etc

Oz has one great industry and that is via pure luck

The other major contributors to GDP (tourism, services and agriculture) are either dead or on life support

Guys, wisen up

The country may not be broken but it is headed that way
    So you basically **** off to live in Dubai, want to come back for a holiday, and expect people in Australia be paid tuppence ha'penny to serve you in a resort on the Gold Coast? If people are paid so well here, you should come back and earn a quid here.

India was busting it's arse to buy the uranium.

Give me the address of your folks and I'll plant a refinery next door for you.

Of course people don't think they're doing well. We're a pack of whingers. We even export some to the Middle East from time to time. You on the one hand say people here get paid too much, yet on the other say "ask people if they think they're doing well, they aren't".

Seriuosly mate, you've been tipping the demise of the Australian economy on here for years now. Do you work with the same mob who gave Lehmann Brothers a triple A rating three weeks before it went under?
    Last edited by Burgey; 08-12-2011 at 05:59 PM.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    So you basically **** off to live in Dubai, want to come back for a holiday, and expect people in Australia be paid tuppence ha'penny to serve you in a resort on the Gold Coast? If people are paid so well here, you should come back and earn a quid here.

India was busting it's arse to buy the uranium.

Give me the address of your folks and I'll plant a refinery next door for you.

Of course people don't think they're doing well. We're a pack of whingers. We even export some to the Middle East from time to time. You on the one hand say people here get paid too much, yet on the other say "ask people if they think they're doing well, they aren't".

Seriuosly mate, you've been tipping the demise of the Australian economy on here for years now. Do you work with the same mob who gave Lehmann Brothers a triple A rating three weeks before it went under?
    Who said anything about staying in a resort?

Those figure were just to rent an apartment so wages do not come into it

If we're talking about hotels, then the prices increase - little wonder that the tourism market is on its' knees

Of course India was busting its' arse to buy the uranium - they need the product and its price was 40% off the peak (not surprising when you consider that the deal was done after the Japanese tsunami decimated the market)

Even if you wanted to build a refinery next to my folks, you couldnt as equity, debt finance and government subsidies (all staples for this type of investment) are not available in Australia in the amounts required

Of most significance are the lack of government subsidies as private equity will not be attracted until they are locked in and this situation has arisen because virtually every Australian state or territory government has cash-flow problems (part of the rationale behind the most recent interest rate cut btw)

Where have I ever mentioned that Australians get paid too much?

Bottom line is that you are so blinded by your support of the ALP that you cannot see the obvious

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Social's little rant reminded me of this article I stumbled upon a few months back.

Australian service standards in tourism | Service, where the bloody hell is it?

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Aaaah no

Rest of the world regards Oz as a ****ing big quarry surrounded by beaches where sales of raw materials to the Chinese havent benefitted the vast majority of the population.

BTW, when was the last time a gov't decreased interest rates because things were going well?
    Who rates Australia that way, out of interest? The Americans? Their people are benefitting from the wonders of their social compact aren't they? The Europeans? Well **** me. The Arab world which made all its money pumping a finite resource out of the ground too?

I found your rant on the cost of accommodation extraordinary, frankly. "I want to bring the family to the most popular tourist joint in the country in peak season, and I'm surprised it's expensive". Well bugger me. Who'd have thunk it?

But the Entertainment Book. Has discounts on theme park entries, accommodation and restaurants too. Good value to be had.
    Last edited by Burgey; 09-12-2011 at 03:43 AM.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
    Social's little rant reminded me of this article I stumbled upon a few months back.

Australian service standards in tourism | Service, where the bloody hell is it?
    Yeah, customer service in a lot of places is a ****ing disgrace. I was surprised when I came back from Korea, as I remember it being decent not that long ago. Now, you can walk into a shop and the three 20 year old girls at the counter give you a cursory glance and then keep on with their conversation about how drunk they got last night.

I'd like to say I think it's partly because many young folk have no idea how to talk to people these days...but that'd make me sound old.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

I blame Tony Abbott
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Customer service politician-style would be entertaining. Even if it did come across as not being genuine, lacking warmth, and showing no signs of life.

Actually, it'd be a tough choice between having someone kissing your baby every time you walked into the store, or completely ignoring you.

have no words to describe how appalling the cabinet reshuffle is.

good thing for gillard it's two weeks before christmas and no one currently gives a **** about politics, because...
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

57-43

Labor back to a sub30 primary vote

People will never want this woman

Last edited by Burgey; 19-12-2011 at 04:56 PM.

Last edited by Burgey; 19-12-2011 at 04:52 PM.

That was gold. They don't make em like they used to. I wonder if we'll ever see someone with that charisma again.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwgu8_b0Vw

RIP Craig

Thread Information