Page 659 of 988 FirstFirst ... 159559609649657658659660661669709759 ... LastLast
Results 9,871 to 9,885 of 14818
Like Tree285Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

  1. #9871
    International Coach social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    12,679
    Whilst I am in the mood to rant about Oz, let me regale you with some examples

    1. The Cost

    I live in Dubai and thought it would be a nice treat to take the family home for the holidays so I did some research.

    Flight - 16 hours

    Accomodation on the the Gold Coast - $200 (****sville) to $400 per night

    Crown Lager in a bar - $7 to $10

    Steak in a restaurant - $40

    Conclusion - whole family (mine, brother's, grandparents, etc) will be staying in suites in a 5 star resort beachfront resort in Asia for a fraction of the price per night and where beers cost $2

    On a far more basic level, why the hell can I buy a Holden Commodore or can of Fosters, both of which are made in Oz, for 40% less in Dubai than at home?

    I know the answer is "tax" but there is little wonder as to why the latter has just been sold to a foreign company because that cost imposition makes them a sitting duck (i.e. poor margins with little capital to expand)

    2. Natural Resources

    Uranium in Africa

    Mines of similar quality resource and accessibility to Oz are unviable due to low margins despite the fact that unskilled workers are paid $900 p.a. in Africa as opposed to $90,000 p.a. in Australia.

    However, the "geniuses" in Parliament decide that now is a good time to sell this precious resource to India :laugh.

    **** me, where do we get these people?

    Coal

    Australia is the world's largest supplier but the rest of the world is investing in concessions in South America, Africa, Russia, etc because Oz will soon be uncompetitive

    Fuel

    Oz is an oil producer but cities such as Adelaide have less than 3 days reserve of petrol due to government restrictions on the operation and development of refineries.

    Etc etc

    Oz has one great industry and that is via pure luck

    The other major contributors to GDP (tourism, services and agriculture) are either dead or on life support

    Guys, wisen up

    The country may not be broken but it is headed that way
    Last edited by social; 08-12-2011 at 12:19 PM.

  2. #9872
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,766
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Whilst I am in the mood to rant about Oz, let me regale you with some examples

    1. The Cost

    I live in Dubai and thought it would be a nice treat to take the family home for the holidays so I did some research.

    Flight - 16 hours

    Accomodation on the the Gold Coast - $200 (****sville) to $400 per night

    Crown Lager in a bar - $7 to $10

    Steak in a restaurant - $40

    Conclusion - whole family (mine, brother's, grandparents, etc) will be staying in suites in a 5 star resort beachfront resort in Asia for a fraction of the price per night and where beers cost $2

    On a far more basic level, why the hell can I buy a Holden Commodore or can of Fosters, both of which are made in Oz, for 40% less in Dubai than at home?

    I know the answer is "tax" but there is little wonder as to why the latter has just been sold to a foreign company because that cost imposition makes them a sitting duck (i.e. poor margins with little capital to expand)

    2. Natural Resources

    Uranium in Africa

    Mines of similar quality resource and accessibility to Oz are unviable due to low margins despite the fact that unskilled workers are paid $900 p.a. in Africa as opposed to $90,000 p.a. in Australia.

    However, the "geniuses" in Parliament decide that now is a good time to sell this precious resource to India :laugh.

    **** me, where do we get these people?

    Coal

    Australia is the world's largest supplier but the rest of the world is investing in concessions in South America, Africa, Russia, etc because Oz will soon be uncompetitive

    Fuel

    Oz is an oil producer but cities such as Adelaide have less than 3 days reserve of petrol due to government restrictions on the operation and development of refineries.

    Etc etc

    Oz has one great industry and that is via pure luck

    The other major contributors to GDP (tourism, services and agriculture) are either dead or on life support

    Guys, wisen up

    The country may not be broken but it is headed that way
    So you basically **** off to live in Dubai, want to come back for a holiday, and expect people in Australia be paid tuppence ha'penny to serve you in a resort on the Gold Coast? If people are paid so well here, you should come back and earn a quid here.

    India was busting it's arse to buy the uranium.

    Give me the address of your folks and I'll plant a refinery next door for you.

    Of course people don't think they're doing well. We're a pack of whingers. We even export some to the Middle East from time to time. You on the one hand say people here get paid too much, yet on the other say "ask people if they think they're doing well, they aren't".

    Seriuosly mate, you've been tipping the demise of the Australian economy on here for years now. Do you work with the same mob who gave Lehmann Brothers a triple A rating three weeks before it went under?
    Last edited by Burgey; 08-12-2011 at 05:59 PM.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

  3. #9873
    International Coach social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    12,679
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    So you basically **** off to live in Dubai, want to come back for a holiday, and expect people in Australia be paid tuppence ha'penny to serve you in a resort on the Gold Coast? If people are paid so well here, you should come back and earn a quid here.

    India was busting it's arse to buy the uranium.

    Give me the address of your folks and I'll plant a refinery next door for you.

    Of course people don't think they're doing well. We're a pack of whingers. We even export some to the Middle East from time to time. You on the one hand say people here get paid too much, yet on the other say "ask people if they think they're doing well, they aren't".

    Seriuosly mate, you've been tipping the demise of the Australian economy on here for years now. Do you work with the same mob who gave Lehmann Brothers a triple A rating three weeks before it went under?
    Who said anything about staying in a resort?

    Those figure were just to rent an apartment so wages do not come into it

    If we're talking about hotels, then the prices increase - little wonder that the tourism market is on its' knees

    Of course India was busting its' arse to buy the uranium - they need the product and its price was 40% off the peak (not surprising when you consider that the deal was done after the Japanese tsunami decimated the market)

    Even if you wanted to build a refinery next to my folks, you couldnt as equity, debt finance and government subsidies (all staples for this type of investment) are not available in Australia in the amounts required

    Of most significance are the lack of government subsidies as private equity will not be attracted until they are locked in and this situation has arisen because virtually every Australian state or territory government has cash-flow problems (part of the rationale behind the most recent interest rate cut btw)

    Where have I ever mentioned that Australians get paid too much?

    Bottom line is that you are so blinded by your support of the ALP that you cannot see the obvious

  4. #9874
    Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,558
    Social's little rant reminded me of this article I stumbled upon a few months back.

    Australian service standards in tourism | Service, where the bloody hell is it?


  5. #9875
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,766
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Aaaah no

    Rest of the world regards Oz as a ****ing big quarry surrounded by beaches where sales of raw materials to the Chinese havent benefitted the vast majority of the population.

    BTW, when was the last time a gov't decreased interest rates because things were going well?
    Who rates Australia that way, out of interest? The Americans? Their people are benefitting from the wonders of their social compact aren't they? The Europeans? Well **** me. The Arab world which made all its money pumping a finite resource out of the ground too?

    I found your rant on the cost of accommodation extraordinary, frankly. "I want to bring the family to the most popular tourist joint in the country in peak season, and I'm surprised it's expensive". Well bugger me. Who'd have thunk it?

    But the Entertainment Book. Has discounts on theme park entries, accommodation and restaurants too. Good value to be had.
    Last edited by Burgey; 09-12-2011 at 03:43 AM.

  6. #9876
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    17,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
    Social's little rant reminded me of this article I stumbled upon a few months back.

    Australian service standards in tourism | Service, where the bloody hell is it?
    Yeah, customer service in a lot of places is a ****ing disgrace. I was surprised when I came back from Korea, as I remember it being decent not that long ago. Now, you can walk into a shop and the three 20 year old girls at the counter give you a cursory glance and then keep on with their conversation about how drunk they got last night.

    I'd like to say I think it's partly because many young folk have no idea how to talk to people these days...but that'd make me sound old.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

    R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

    Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

    "How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

  7. #9877
    International Coach howardj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    12,902
    I blame Tony Abbott
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

    - Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

  8. #9878
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    17,227
    Customer service politician-style would be entertaining. Even if it did come across as not being genuine, lacking warmth, and showing no signs of life.

    Actually, it'd be a tough choice between having someone kissing your baby every time you walked into the store, or completely ignoring you.

  9. #9879
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    32,677
    have no words to describe how appalling the cabinet reshuffle is.

    good thing for gillard it's two weeks before christmas and no one currently gives a **** about politics, because...
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +


    get ready for a broken ****in' arm

  10. #9880
    International Coach howardj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    12,902
    57-43

    Labor back to a sub30 primary vote

    People will never want this woman

  11. #9881
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,766

  12. #9882
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,766
    Last edited by Burgey; 19-12-2011 at 04:56 PM.

  13. #9883
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,766
    Last edited by Burgey; 19-12-2011 at 04:52 PM.

  14. #9884
    International Captain Ausage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I'll show ye!!
    Posts
    5,335
    That was gold. They don't make em like they used to. I wonder if we'll ever see someone with that charisma again.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

    Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwgu8_b0Vw

    RIP Craig

  15. #9885
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,766



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Australian Conditions - The Difference?
    By benchmark00 in forum Ashes 2006/07
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 13-10-2006, 08:38 AM
  2. 2004/05 Australian domestic season thread
    By Craig in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 1116
    Last Post: 27-03-2005, 10:25 PM
  3. *Official* India in Australia Thread
    By Craig in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 2652
    Last Post: 08-01-2004, 07:00 PM
  4. South Australian Crickets Don Bradman Medal Night
    By Blewy in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-10-2003, 05:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •