Page 643 of 982 FirstFirst ... 143543593633641642643644645653693743 ... LastLast
Results 9,631 to 9,645 of 14721
Like Tree250Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar

Bonds on issue was at $50 billion in 2008, now about $187 billion

So over 3 years that is about $6000 dollars for each Australian. Quantative Easing never looked so easy. Especially if you are first to get the money.

David Hume on government:

Those who either attack or defend a minister in such a government as ours, where the utmost liberty is allowed, always carry matters to an extreme, and exaggerate his merit or demerit with regard to the public. His enemies are sure to charge him with the greatest enormities, both in domestic and foreign management; and there is no meanness or crime, of which, in their account, he is not capable. Unnecessary wars, scandalous treaties, profusion of public treasure, oppressive taxes, every kind of maladministration is ascribed to him. To aggravate the charge, his pernicious conduct, it is said, will extend its baneful influence even to posterity, by undermining the best constitution in the world, and disordering that wise system of laws, institutions, and customs, by which our ancestors, during so many centuries, have been so happily governed. He is not only a wicked minister in himself, but has removed every security provided against wicked ministers for the future.

On the other hand, the partisans of the minister make his panegyric run as high as the accusation against him, and celebrate his wise, steady, and moderate conduct in every part of his administration. The honour and interest of the nation supported abroad, public credit maintained at home, persecution restrained, faction subdued; the merit of all these blessings is ascribed solely to the minister. At the same time, he crowns all his other merits by a religious care of the best constitution in the world, which he has preserved in all its parts, and has transmitted entire, to be the happiness and security of the latest posterity.
    When this accusation and panegyric are received by the partisans of each party, no wonder they beget an extraordinary ferment on both sides, and fill the nation with violent animosities.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    redbacks we don't care

WHY HAVEN'T THEY STOPED THE BOATS!!!!!!!
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

A bit of Goon Show magic:

Classic Goon Show Moment: Prime Minister's Question Time - YouTube

1:20 onwards is for 'BER' Burgey to enjoy

Reports of David Gillespie running in Lyne against Rob Oak**** at the next election

Is that Cement Gillespie of rugby league fame?

"Vote 1 Cement - tackling the big issues"
    Last edited by howardj; 26-10-2011 at 05:04 PM.
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Could be but I dunno if that's set in stone, get the feeling he's all about bricks and mortar solutions to issues within his constituency.

David Gillespie | About

Solid fella.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Ah yes, that isn't Cement.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Rudd refuses to comment on Pokie reforms. He is from reports using this as a stalking horse for the leadership, promising disaffected Labor MPs that he will ditch the precommittment reform. This will cost them Wilkie's support, but I think if Rudd comes back Wilkie will be superfluous as Rudd will bring Katter over.

You making this up, like David Speers?

Here's what Rudd said when asked about Abbott's comments on the pokie reform:

"It may be of surprise to you but I haven't followed every detail of what Mr Abbott has said, or read his transcripts, nor do I choose to engage in that debate here and now," Mr Rudd said in Perth.

"I've got plenty of other things on my mind as the Foreign Minister of Australia. That debate can be had elsewhere."

Yep, moving on up......

See Mal Washer is going to vote in favour of the Mining Tax. good on him. Hes' retiring next election too, so Thug Boy can have at him all he likes.

No, I got it from the Age website of all places.

He has been more than happy to comment on other issues outside his brief (usually says "what I'm about is stopping Mr Abbott becoming PM").

I think his non-comment on this is significant (as does The Age).

Look, I hope Gillard doesn't get rolled.

Perverse situation really...both sides think the other party's leader is the best asset they have!

Interesting, I just did the maths on it and I end up paying almost as much (within 30%) on rego as I do on fuel.

The roads are most certainly NOT user pays at the moment, rather they're everybody pays (and the speed limits go down). There is something seriously wrong with transport costs in Brisbane.

EDIT: Oh and a bridge at Lawnton that thousands of people used to travel on daily is still out of action after the floods. Bloody ridiculous. It's been gridlocked in that area for the last ten months.
    Last edited by stephen; 26-10-2011 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Rudd refuses to comment on Pokie reforms. He is from reports using this as a stalking horse for the leadership, promising disaffected Labor MPs that he will ditch the precommittment reform. This will cost them Wilkie's support, but I think if Rudd comes back Wilkie will be superfluous as Rudd will bring Katter over.
    I'd be astonished if Rudd was actually against the pokie reforms. He's all about the big moral challenge fluff and this is right up his alley. And someone's already done the hard bit for him (ie. the bit he struggles with) - actually coming up with a policy!
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Anyone see that article on The Drum about the anti-abortion protesters in Melbourne who successive governments have let stay outside a legal clinic for over a decade despite requests by the doctors and patients to move on? It was an interesting contrast to the way the protesters in central
    Melbourne were moved.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Anyone see that article on The Drum about the anti-abortion protesters in Melbourne who successive governments have let stay outside a legal clinic for over a decade despite requests by the doctors and patients to move on? It was an interesting contrast to the way the protesters in central
    Melbourne were moved.
    Yeah but the queen was not visiting an abortion clinic

Pretty much. I wonder if she got pensioners fare on the tram.

I notice that police getting a pay dispute settled was front page of the Age this week too.

Thread Information