Cricket Player Manager
Page 61 of 1001 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161561 ... LastLast
Like Tree313Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Haneef charges dropped.

And now Andrews alters the basis of his detention. The man must resign. Where's the secret info? Where's the important stuf which wrrants locking him up? Answer: there wasn't any. If there was, why alter the decision?

What a bloody disgrace. This poor bloke has been used as some sort of pawn. Unles Andrews releases that info, he must resign.
    Meh, if we have ministers resigning everytime they wrongfully detained someone, we wouldn't have much of a government left
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Bracksy - The most well groomed politician in Australia? He always looked so neat and tidy. I see he described his legacy as 'putting the heart back into Victoria'.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Gun bloke, was Bracks. Had the charisma for the job, something that Brumby lacks I'm afraid.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Funniest moment was his speech at that golf event when he was clearly pissed.

Ernie Eeeeels LOL!
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Galaxy 54-46: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22154318-2,00.html

Anyway, Costello seems about as popular as a fart in a space suit.

Haneef charges dropped.

And now Andrews alters the basis of his detention. The man must resign. Where's the secret info? Where's the important stuf which wrrants locking him up? Answer: there wasn't any. If there was, why alter the decision?

What a bloody disgrace. This poor bloke has been used as some sort of pawn. Unles Andrews releases that info, he must resign.
    He intends to release the extra info: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...-29277,00.html

For mine, all Andrews should have said, all along, is that the criteria for a visa and for criminal charges are totally different. And, although the charges have been dropped, this has no impact on the visa decision, as the criteria are different.

Instead, he just waffled.

Hahaha, residents of Barcaldine ftw. Splashed Peter Beattie and his upstart of a Local Govt Minister Andrew Fraser with water, and didn't give him a quiet moment during his trip there. Still the arrogant **** goes on to say how they're just scared of change, and that they'll reap the benefits of being in one of his ****ed up 'super councils'. Yeah right!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Casson View Post
    I don't know how reliable those polls will prove to be when it really comes to the crunch. There's a lot of support out there for Rudd because the Australian people are yearning for a change, but I have a feeling that common sense will prevail when it comes time to tick boxes in the polling booths, and we'll decide that it's better the devil we know. Rudd is flashy and popular, but for people to seriously place their trust in the man to lead this country is premature. He talks the campaign talk well enough, but the policies lack detail and look to be be full of promises that will be hard to realise for a government with limited experience and chronically plagued by factionalism.

Howard's mob have pretty obviously lacked a heart in the more humanistic pursuits of the last 5 years, but overall, are people really going to risk dumping on the government that has helped us all get rich? They're all utter maggots: Costello, Abbott and Emperor Palpatine, but I wouldn't vote them out when they've had a relatively good run. Politics is politics; there's **** on the walls no matter who you vote for, you've just got to pick the ones that get on with a job.

I hope it comes down to more than just this this time around...I think the government are given far too much credit for economic situations. Then again, they should be given more credit for knowing that the way to a lot of people's hearts is through their wallets I suppose.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Saw that today. Will be interesting to see if:

a. it's the start of a trend
    b. was the start of a trend but this week has been a shocker so it will be reversed or
    c. it's just coming into line with the other published polls.

On the facial hair thing - curious that no PM since Hughes has had a mo or beard. What's the old saying about never trusting a man with a beard? Surely they can't all have heard it?
    Do John Howard's eyebrows count?

Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    My view is that, as Kim Beazley's former chief of staff wrote recently, Howard loves the Liberal Party (he doesn't just see it as a vehicle for his own ambition, like Turnbull or Costello) and genuinely believes he is the best chance of winning. I think he believed, at the time of contemplating retirement last year, that the avuncular Beazley would have beaten Costello - hence he decided to stay. There's little doubt he's the best man, from those on offer, to lead the Coalition to the election. Whether he'll win is another matter.

Anyway, good to be back in my own bed tonight, after sleeping out last night to buy his Biography first thing this morning! Should be an awesome read! lol.

He intends to release the extra info: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...-29277,00.html

For mine, all Andrews should have said, all along, is that the criteria for a visa and for criminal charges are totally different. And, although the charges have been dropped, this has no impact on the visa decision, as the criteria are different.

However, the reason for him revoking his visa was directly linked to the supposed criminal charges wasn't it? I'm not sure that approach would help, as all but the most ignorant of observers would fail to make the link.

I have to admit though, I feel a lot safer knowing this is a direct result of our new approach to terrorism!

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar

Which he did by outsmarting himself and trying to make a political point out of it.

Dire.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    However, the reason for him revoking his visa was directly linked to the supposed criminal charges wasn't it? I'm not sure that approach would help, as all but the most ignorant of observers would fail to make the link.
    :
    A] The revocation of the visa rested partly on the evidence tendered in court, and partly on material that is yet to be aired in the public realm.

B] Moreover, as I say, assessing whether someone is of good character is different to the standard of proof for a criminal matter.

C] The media seem to regard this, because of the agenda they are trying to run, as the first instance in the history of the legal system that criminal charges have been dropped against someone. Charges being dropped against someone is an everyday occurance.

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Haha geez, can't believe anyone would try to defend the governments actions in this case.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Matt Price's pretty humorous look at the last week or so.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-12854,00.html

Thread Information