Results 8,956 to 8,970 of 14711
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

^ Bob Hawke says hi
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Keating was better at it.

Keating could sell complicated issues to people, particularly economic issues, like no one else.

All this palaver about cost of living and times being tough - it's utter bull****. Wages growth is decent, inflation is low, rates are low, there's less than 5% unemployment, debt to GDP ratio is 6%.

Try scouting around looking for a job in 1982 or 1991 and see how tough things were. Or paying off a mortgage in the late 80s.

Forget England, Australia is the greatest nation of whingers on earth. And by a massive margin.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    ^ Bob Hawke says hi
    Bob Hawke is no longer a Labor politician.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    Bob Hawke is no longer a Labor politician.
    When he retired, did he take your sense of irony with him?

Good to see Labor act on live animal exports.

Disgraceful trade. Wrote an essay on it last year. Been shocking for ages. Shows the power of ABC's Four Corners that it got a policy change within a week.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    I'm never going to the NT. Julia Gillard and Chris Uhlmann have aged 5 years in a day.

Anyone hear Barnaby Joyce refuting Ludwig's claims that we need 'supply chain assurance'? I was only half listening but it sounded like he was saying it's already possible to track exactly which cows are ending up where. I don't have a predisposition to believing anything he says but if it's accurate the blanket ban is a massive over-reaction to me.
    'Copperfield,' said Mr. Micawber, 'farewell! Every happiness and prosperity! If, in the progress of revolving years, I could persuade myself that my blighted destiny had been a warning to you, I should feel that I had not occupied another man's place in existence altogether in vain.
    - Wilkins Micawber

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Just another case of 'big' government trying to fix a problem by making a lot more people worse of than they have the evidence to prove is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Casson View Post
    I'm never going to the NT. Julia Gillard and Chris Uhlmann have aged 5 years in a day.

Anyone hear Barnaby Joyce refuting Ludwig's claims that we need 'supply chain assurance'? I was only half listening but it sounded like he was saying it's already possible to track exactly which cows are ending up where. I don't have a predisposition to believing anything he says but if it's accurate the blanket ban is a massive over-reaction to me.
    The whole trade is filthy anyway. What happens and how they are treated when they dock is only half the problem. The conditions of the boat

There have been "education" programs for abattoirs in Egypt and Indonesia for years and its making jack all improvement.

This problem arises every two years or so. Animals Australia has collected footage from plenty of our trade partners whereby goats are shoved in car trunks and cows are kicked in the head etc.

It'll eventually be banned altogether, it's only a matter of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    It doesn't need to be a game changer. It just needs to damage him.

Do these staffers sit there playing Angry Birds all day? How the **** do you miss that? Appalling.
    I'm fairly sure that on the day Abbott was elected Leader of the Opposition, a journalist asked him why he was a weathervain on climate change and he responded with "well the politics of it have changed"

I expected that to feature prominently in the campaign but I haven't heard it mentioned since. I'm starting to believe that it didn't happen.

The only damaging ad of Abbottisms was the one that Get Up! created. The ALP's media unit must spend all day trying to deflect calls from The Australian and never get time to do anything themselves.
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

CricketWeb Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    When he retired, did he take your sense of irony with him?
    Sorry I missed the humour, I though that he was being serious because he was being true.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    The whole trade is filthy anyway. What happens and how they are treated when they dock is only half the problem. The conditions of the boat

There have been "education" programs for abattoirs in Egypt and Indonesia for years and its making jack all improvement.

This problem arises every two years or so. Animals Australia has collected footage from plenty of our trade partners whereby goats are shoved in car trunks and cows are kicked in the head etc.

It'll eventually be banned altogether, it's only a matter of time.
    I can remember seeing the footage from Egypt of the goats shoved in car trunks, pretty horrific stuff. I think at the time they said we sell the goats to a market who then sells them to individual buyers and the market seller has no interest in what happens after purchase. Thus, even if he is regulated and does the right things we still cant really be certain the animals will be treated ethically.

As an economic situation which I think is has similarities: The Transfer of Convicts from England to Australia initially by boat saw large amounts of deaths on the way over due to sickness and lack of food when the transporters we paid upfront per head and overcrowded the boats to maximise profit. As soon as they said, no, we will start to pay you per head that makes it to Australia, the number of deaths dropped dramatically as suddenly taking on too many people became an 'internalised externality' grim way to look at life, but an incentive situation that punishes heavily those who step out of line may be the only way to prevent this from occuring.

Massive fines for the seller of the live exports in these countries makes them now have to worry about the world 'outside the factory door' (a dig at Lenin ) and either get it right or go out of business quick smart. The recent US/UK looks into the financial system are also looking at how $$$ for whistleblowers can increase dissent. Dissent often being a good thing as those at the coal face are the best at spotting violations before the eventual market crash (i.e. the media find it's wide spread).

In the US the NHS has an average payout of $50 million for whistleblowers who capture corrupt trading and they find this to be the most corrective system in the US. Thier report into banking has a recommendation, yet to be approved, that financial whistleblowers recieve 1/3 of the value of the corruption payout which could be quite large. Put this to a person in Indonesia or Egypt the possiblity of $2 million say for dobbing in bad practice, it's just too good to refuse. This could be a way forward for the correction of the system, failing this then we may have to shut up shop as you predict.

Katich out, Mathieson in..? Maybe if he publically slammed CA he could turn the polls in Julia's favour. There's one organisation that has actually lost the plot.

It says a lot about the security for Julia Gillard if that protester can get anywhere near her.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    How good was Barry O'Farrell coming out the other day defending Simon Katich and slamming CA btw?

Legend.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

+ time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Thread Information