Cricket Player Manager
Page 594 of 993 FirstFirst ... 94494544584592593594595596604644694 ... LastLast
Results 8,896 to 8,910 of 14889
Like Tree295Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    Yeah but in Canberra, you can get out of the city in around 10 minutes. The suburbs are extremely close to the CBD.
    Here's a hint that ought to serve you well in life. Don't talk about something you have literally no idea about.
    'Copperfield,' said Mr. Micawber, 'farewell! Every happiness and prosperity! If, in the progress of revolving years, I could persuade myself that my blighted destiny had been a warning to you, I should feel that I had not occupied another man's place in existence altogether in vain.
    - Wilkins Micawber

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Just be greatful to have public transport that doesn't operate once every 30 mins during peak and hourly off peak.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    Just be greatful to have public transport that doesn't operate once every 30 mins during peak and hourly off peak.
    Is that the case where you live?

Yeah, Sydney buses do annoy me from time to time, but I agree that it could be a lot worse. The only worry is buses and trains being too ****ing overcrowded!
    Last edited by morgieb; 01-06-2011 at 08:21 AM.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Yeah but in Canberra, you can get out of the city in around 10 minutes. The suburbs are extremely close to the CBD.
    I live about 10 minutes from the CBD but... yeah, this ain't true.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

forever 63*

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Is that the case where you live?
    That was the case in Adelaide when I was living about a 20 min drive from the CBD, made no sense for anyone who worked in town to catch a bus as you tripple the commute time each way.

Now, in London its rapid, 5 mins would really be considered a long wait for a the tube in Zones 1,2. It's more a problem of all the ridiculous connections to get everywhere.

The View of our parliament from abroad (bit rich for the Poms to talk about professionalism given the extent to which they rorted the expense system)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13615751

But generally, even across Europe, the question seems to be: Why did they remove a scholar like Rudd (oblivious to his errors) and import a rat pack when things appear so good?
    Last edited by Redbacks; 01-06-2011 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Couldn't believe how dire the trains are in Melbourne when I was down there a few weeks ago. All single storey with non-changable seats.

TBH, I know it's probably fashionable to criticise Sydney public transport, but unless you live in a tricky area, you shouldn't really have any problems with it. The trains are rarely late (sometimes are, granted) and are all double storey. Sometimes they're over crowded which needs addressing but I don't really have a problem with the way the trains are run. Busses are less reliable but still leave often enough not to cause too much of a problem.
    Found it more expensive and annoying having to buy different tickets for different forms of transport. Hard to talk about timeliness, difficult to measure as a tourist as you generally aren't in as big a rush to get there, nor travelling during the peak.

I've used Melbourne trains for years, live right next to a train station, and the deterioration over the past couple of years has been noticeable with the huge increase in patronage. Trams are fantastic though in comparison to buses, IMO, except if you are in a car. Well, in Melbourne, anyway.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Adelaide's public transport system is the absolute pits if you're going from the suburbs to the city but reaches a new level of suck if you're going from suburb to suburb. Forget going from one side of the city to the other too if you value your sanity or time.

A mate of mine lives 30mins north of the city and the airport is 10 mins west. To get there via public transport (bus to train station -> train to city -> bus, distance about 30Km) to airport to catch a plane for a conference took him Two. Freaking. Hours.

No-one beats Japan for public transport. Sososososososo good.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 01-06-2011 at 06:05 PM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    One thing all of the major world cities with good public transport have is that their undergrounds were built yonks ago. The cost nowadays to build Tube systems is enormous, plus it comes with the associated Nimbyism of the age.

Ausage referred to the Hills District in Sydney. It's a classic example of poor planning. Since the mid-80s, there have been tens of thousands of houses built in the area - I recall living in Castle Hill in the late 80s and going to Rouse Hill to buy fresh produce from the farmers there ffs. Now there isn't a tree in sight and it's wall-to-wall McMansions.

The only transport infrastructure built since then is the M2 motorway, which is currently being widened, because even though they knew they were putting hundreds of thousands of people in the Hills, they decided to make it only a 2x2 road.

It's dire. The bus service is good, but of course, the bus lane only goes half way to the city.

The lack of foresight is appalling. Now they want to put a Metro in and they'll presumably have to reclaim land and it'll take decades and billions to get done. The other impediment is all the seats out there are safe Tory filth, so the Libs know they'll vote for them anyway, and Labor could build individual paths paved with gold and the idiots would still vote for Alex Hawke.
    Last edited by Burgey; 01-06-2011 at 07:35 PM.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Couldn't believe how dire the trains are in Melbourne when I was down there a few weeks ago. All single storey with non-changable seats.

TBH, I know it's probably fashionable to criticise Sydney public transport, but unless you live in a tricky area, you shouldn't really have any problems with it. The trains are rarely late (sometimes are, granted) and are all double storey. Sometimes they're over crowded which needs addressing but I don't really have a problem with the way the trains are run. Busses are less reliable but still leave often enough not to cause too much of a problem.
    Yeah, AWTA. I live in one of Sydney's worst areas for public transport and still don't have huge issues with it.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Could understand why offence was taken...by cats.
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

"I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Adelaide's public transport system is the absolute pits if you're going from the suburbs to the city but reaches a new level of suck if you're going from suburb to suburb. Forget going from one side of the city to the other too if you value your sanity or time.

A mate of mine lives 30mins north of the city and the airport is 10 mins west. To get there via public transport (bus to train station -> train to city -> bus, distance about 30Km) to airport to catch a plane for a conference took him Two. Freaking. Hours.

No-one beats Japan for public transport. Sososososososo good.
    The public transport here isn't too flash either. Buses are seldom on time, and the train line doesn't go all the way down to Coolangatta Airport which is why I prefer to fly out of Brisbane instead. And it isn't cheap to take the train up to Brisbane Airport either, it costs nearly $30 to get there, a joke.

It was the one good thing about China, it took me more then 90 minutes on the subway from Shanghai Pudong Airpont to my hostel and it only cost me $0.60. I so wish we had something similar to the Skinkansen where it connected from Brisbane to Melbourne, and TBH I would prefer that to flying. Although the logistics and the cost would be astronomical though.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    The public transport here isn't too flash either. Buses are seldom on time, and the train line doesn't go all the way down to Coolangatta Airport which is why I prefer to fly out of Brisbane instead. And it isn't cheap to take the train up to Brisbane Airport either, it costs nearly $30 to get there, a joke.

It was the one good thing about China, it took me more then 90 minutes on the subway from Shanghai Pudong Airpont to my hostel and it only cost me $0.60. I so wish we had something similar to the Skinkansen where it connected from Brisbane to Melbourne, and TBH I would prefer that to flying. Although the logistics and the cost would be astronomical though.
    It's all well and good to say we should have a shinkansen but if you look at Japan, it's hardly going to be a cheap alternative - not to mention it would take longer.

And by the way, anyone who says Japan's public transport is better than Korea's needs a haymaker to the throat.
    Last edited by Mr Casson; 02-06-2011 at 03:15 AM.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Public transport is pretty reliable where I live
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Today's First Dog on the Moon cartoon sums it up so well..

For the kiddies: My first book of Animal Sounds | Crikey

Thread Information