Cricket Player Manager
Page 59 of 992 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159559 ... LastLast
Like Tree291Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    Mike Carlton fan club raising their voice here.
    'Copperfield,' said Mr. Micawber, 'farewell! Every happiness and prosperity! If, in the progress of revolving years, I could persuade myself that my blighted destiny had been a warning to you, I should feel that I had not occupied another man's place in existence altogether in vain.
    - Wilkins Micawber

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Casson View Post
    I don't know how reliable those polls will prove to be when it really comes to the crunch. There's a lot of support out there for Rudd because the Australian people are yearning for a change, but I have a feeling that common sense will prevail when it comes time to tick boxes in the polling booths, and we'll decide that it's better the devil we know. Rudd is flashy and popular, but for people to seriously place their trust in the man to lead this country is premature. He talks the campaign talk well enough, but the policies lack detail and look to be be full of promises that will be hard to realise for a government with limited experience and chronically plagued by factionalism.

Howard's mob have pretty obviously lacked a heart in the more humanistic pursuits of the last 5 years, but overall, are people really going to risk dumping on the government that has helped us all get rich? They're all utter maggots: Costello, Abbott and Emperor Palpatine, but I wouldn't vote them out when they've had a relatively good run. Politics is politics; there's **** on the walls no matter who you vote for, you've just got to pick the ones that get on with a job.
    Yeah, for mine, there's an air of unreality about the polls at present. I think with Rudd, populism (like a petrol commissioner and inquiries into grocery prices) will only get you so far. In the end, unless people are willing to trust you with the economy, you won't win. That doesn't mean Rudd will be defeated, but it does mean that he some way to go, given that the Coalition is still the party rated, by far, as the better economic manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Leadership tension resurfaces with release of new bio on Howard.

Costello has really opened up here.

Thoughts?
    The comments were made over a year ago, when Howard announced he would be staying on. Anyway, it's no mystery that Costello feels the way he does. When someone who you never really liked in the first place is the only thing standing between what you've always wanted, then resentment is pretty much to be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Casson View Post
    Mike Carlton fan club raising their voice here.
    What rubbish comments from Carlton on Tuesday. You can't get any lower than having a shot at a guy on the day of his funeral.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    You can't get any lower than having a shot at a guy on the day of his funeral.
    How about dancing hearing the news of his death.

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Haha, what was wrong with what Carlton said? He told the truth, unlike the legions of media figures falling over themselves to praise Zemanek when they probably loathed him too. **** it pisses me off that just because someone dies he suddenly ceases to be a ****.

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasa View Post
    Haha, what was wrong with what Carlton said? He told the truth, unlike the legions of media figures falling over themselves to praise Zemanek when they probably loathed him too. **** it pisses me off that just because someone dies he suddenly ceases to be a ****.
    I didn't really like him either, but when you have wide public exposure and you have a red hot go at a man on the day of his funeral while his family are just trying to grieve for him, that's just not very appropriate, and he should be feeling like a dirty mug at the moment. For me, it's not about hypocrisy; it's about the fact that his family had to put up with some bloke calling him a **** while they're mourning, just because Zemanek nicked his job decades ago.

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    ^Fair point.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Yeah, for mine, there's an air of unreality about the polls at present. I think with Rudd, populism (like a petrol commissioner and inquiries into grocery prices) will only get you so far. In the end, unless people are willing to trust you with the economy, you won't win. That doesn't mean Rudd will be defeated, but it does mean that he some way to go, given that the Coalition is still the party rated, by far, as the better economic manager.
    Yes, but what he's doing is getting people to think about the economy on the micro level, not the macro. He's trying to get them to look at how much things cost them, the hours they are working, etc rather than looking at all the good figures (which is smart politics).
    I concede your point and there will doubtless be a swing back to some extent, but if his tactics work then gloss will be taken off the good economic numbers. The way he's approaching it at lewast gets him into the economic debate, which is more than Beazley ever did.

The comments were made over a year ago, when Howard announced he would be staying on. Anyway, it's no mystery that Costello feels the way he does. When someone who you never really liked in the first place is the only thing standing between what you've always wanted, then resentment is pretty much to be expected.
    If a prominent Shadow made the same comments about Rudd, the Libs would be cheering.
    The fact he chose to attack JWH's economic credentials can only be damaging to Howard, when he's telling everyone that his economic record is what the election is all about. It's like Costello is saying JWH is dispensible on the economic front because Costello is the guy behind it all. It's just not a good look and frankly shows a complete lack of political discipline.
    Similarly, in raising the shane Stone email, Costello is challenging Howard on another of his perceived bailiwicks, namely his "honesty". In other words, it shows Howard's not above the in-fighting - it looks unseemly, as does the apparent slight at not being invited to dinner at Kirribilli.
    If Costello is as frustrated as he obviously is, then he either should have challenged or should do so now (he can't and won't, given the timing in the electoral cycle). To think he used to say Beazley lacked the ticker for the top job. Frankly, if you don't have the stones to challenge for a job which you've openly coveted for a decade or more, then you don't deserve to get it.
    HJ, do you think Costello's views have changed?
    Can't you see the 1st question without notice when parliament resumes: "My question is directed to the treasurer. Will the treasurer please tell the house his views on the economic management of Australia for the period between 1977 and 1983, whether the treasurer at that time did a good job in relation to interest rates and inflation, and whether the treasurer at that time was sufficiently reformist?"
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Another development, perhaps more significant than anything else today.....

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...001028,00.html

Banned
    Anyone seen that ad thing with John Howard falling asleep on climate crisis
    John wasn't to happy i can tell you that

When was the last PM with facial hair?

Or even the last Premier?

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    HJ, do you think Costello's views have changed?
    No mate. There is no love in that relationship. She's a strictly business affair.

When was the last PM with facial hair?

Or even the last Premier?
    Jack Lang had a mo.

George Reid had a mo, Deakin had a beard, Fisher had a mo, Cook wore a beard, Hughes had a mo.

Hughes was the last PM to have a mo or a beard, I think.

Thread Information