Page 51 of 988 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151551 ... LastLast
Like Tree284Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Hope the Liberal party gets all that they deserve tbh.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    Hope the Liberal party gets all that they deserve tbh.
    Yeah. Kick 'em out with a massive margin.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

See Swann came out and labelled the PM's comments re: people saying they'll vote Labour must be having a joke, and then "annihilation" as "bizarre".

Once you start getting called 'bizarre' and nobody rushes to defend you, you're number might be coming up fairly quickly...
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    So, how will this thing with Rudd's wife play out?

Embarassing imo, but thought he defused it pretty well yesterday. Abbott & Howard did themselves no favours making snide, veiled comments in question time about it.

Did Rudd offend any stay-at-home mums? Some idiot has said the comment about not being an appendage to a middle aged man was directed at Jeanette "Grange Hermitage" Howard. I don't think it was really, because:
    1. Jeanette Howard was the last thing on Rudd's mind yesterday.
    2. Howard can hardly be classed as "middle aged" any more.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Clapo View Post
    Nearly had a kineption this morning when i read in the courier mail that the QLD Government has poured more than $1million wages, rebates etc. into Big ****ing Brother this season. You can subsidise some ****ed up television show, but refuse to subsidise plenty of others who are in desperate need for help, and will actually produce something of use for the State, and the economy as a whole. How about spending that money on fixing the ambo's system that you've subsequently screwed up, despite the fact that we're paying the the highest Ambulance levy we've ever paid. Such a gun way to run the place, get more money out of people, then let most of it go into thin air, and give us back a health & ambulance system that is in far worse condition now, than it was 7/8 years ago.

FFS Peter Beattie, you are the most dire of all dire people there has even been on the face of this earth. Put you and your government in charge of the Sahara Desert and i'd almost guarantee you'd need to import sand after 6 months.
    :
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post

Embarassing imo, but thought he defused it pretty well yesterday. Abbott & Howard did themselves no favours making snide, veiled comments in question time about it.

Did Rudd offend any stay-at-home mums? Some idiot has said the comment about not being an appendage to a middle aged man was directed at Jeanette "Grange Hermitage" Howard. I don't think it was really, because:
    1. Jeanette Howard was the last thing on Rudd's mind yesterday.
    2. Howard can hardly be classed as "middle aged" any more.
    It was pretty bizarre of Rudd to say that women are no longer appendages to middle aged men. Who actually thinks that they are? I think, in the 21st Century, that's sort of a given - not something that you actually need to say.

Some people in parliament and the media seem to still believe that any woman who's husband is in politics should do nothing but stay at home baking scones and popping out kids. Shades of that attitude has been fairly apparent in the presumption by some commentators and pollies that Rein should automatically divest herself of her business interests because they might be at odds with her husbands career.

I don't think that, if he became PM, that her divesting herself of at least the domestic arm of her business is such a bizarre call. The Australian arm of her business (which is an employment agency) depends very heavily on Government contracts and funds. That conflict, and the possible resolution of it, has nothing to do with her sex.

Recent experience tells me you're spot on. It's easier, but no less bitter, if you can see the whammy coming.
    Oh, for sure.

Pretty embarrassingly, I'd suggest. As emerged yesterday, her firm didn't inherit the common law contracts which stripped away conditions in return for an extra 45cents per hour. Rather, they were moved to these common law contracts after she acquired the company. Seems Labor are very quick to give the benefit of the doubt here, but not for other small businesses that they've slandered during the past year or so. I wonder if they'll attack her firm when Parliament resumes tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Pretty embarrassingly, I'd suggest. As emerged yesterday, her firm didn't inherit the common law contracts which stripped away conditions in return for an extra 45cents per hour. Rather, they were moved to these common law contracts after she acquired the company. Seems Labor are very quick to give the benefit of the doubt here, but not for other small businesses that they've slandered during the past year or so. I wonder if they'll attack her firm when Parliament resumes tomorrow.
    Do you think they (small business operators or the Coalition) will and if so would it make much of a difference. Did you see Glenn Milne's comment in the Sunday Mail today (assuming you would read it of course)?

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Do you think they (small business operators or the Coalition) will and if so would it make much of a difference. Did you see Glenn Milne's comment in the Sunday Mail today (assuming you would read it of course)?
    I think the Coalition should take it up tomorrow for sure. Rudd's wife, who seems a nice lady, is not the issue. It's about Labor's hypocrisy. The Labor Party either care about the 'workers' (in which case they'll be equally outraged for the workers in this firm and try to roast the Government) or they care only when it suits them.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    And yeah, I don't rate Milne to be honest. He just goes whichever way the wind blows. I rate myself though.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    And yeah, I don't rate Milne to be honest. He just goes whichever way the wind blows. I rate myself though.
    And your name sake

60/40?

Unbelieveable. Now they're doing another investigation into his wife's company. They need to be very careful to avoid making it look like some kind of witch hunt (not saying it is, but they really don't need to have it look like that).

Dire week for the ALP it must be said.

Thread Information