Like Tree291Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

Six years ago today...

Anyone know what?
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Latham losing to Howard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

I must say that I am disgusted by Gillard's behaviour with regards to Afghanistan and Abbot's trip there. You don't try and score political points like that. It's just vile.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    I must say that I am disgusted by Gillard's behaviour with regards to Afghanistan and Abbot's trip there. You don't try and score political points like that. It's just vile.
    Of course, you're assuming what Abbott is saying is true.

Assume for a moment it is. All he had to say was he has made arrangements to go at a later time. He can't blame her for the **** storm that erupted from his own poor choice of words. You're living on a different planet if you think politicians don't use troop visits for political point-scoring mate.
    Last edited by Burgey; 10-10-2010 at 07:41 PM.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Disappointed that Abbot didn't get his face painted up, commando-style, and let off a few random grenades (not for Parliament, but during his Afghan trip).

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Of course, you're assuming what Abbott is saying is true.

Assume for a moment it is. All he had to say was he has made arrangements to go at a later time. He can't blame her for the **** storm that erupted from his own poor choice of words. You're living on a different planet if you think politicians don't use troop visits for political point-scoring mate.
    Of course they use visits to the troops for political points scoring via photo opportunities and speeches, but to blatantly criticize the opposition for not coming on the same trip when she knew he was visiting the troops later is just vile politics. Not only that but if he did say something about how he was visiting later he could have blundered into huge legal issues (not to mention endangered himself and the troops).

Everything that Gillard has done since she has become leader has demonstrated that all she is after is power and she is willing to do anything to keep it, including lowering the standard of political debate even further than before. Her border policies have been awful (indecisive, ineffective and in-compassionate), her pork barreling cringe-worthy and her major flagship policy completely un-costed and logistically nightmarish, without providing demonstrated economic benefits.

The sooner that this government collapses and Gillard is ditched as leader the better. If I was of the Left I would be exceedingly disappointed with Gillard and her seeming inability to formulate any real left wing policy reforms. And from the Right I just cannot see anything that she stands for that couldn't be better delivered by the conservatives.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Of course they use visits to the troops for political points scoring via photo opportunities and speeches, but to blatantly criticize the opposition for not coming on the same trip when she knew he was visiting the troops later is just vile politics. Not only that but if he did say something about how he was visiting later he could have blundered into huge legal issues (not to mention endangered himself and the troops).

Everything that Gillard has done since she has become leader has demonstrated that all she is after is power and she is willing to do anything to keep it, including lowering the standard of political debate even further than before. Her border policies have been awful (indecisive, ineffective and in-compassionate), her pork barreling cringe-worthy and her major flagship policy completely un-costed and logistically nightmarish, without providing demonstrated economic benefits.

The sooner that this government collapses and Gillard is ditched as leader the better. If I was of the Left I would be exceedingly disappointed with Gillard and her seeming inability to formulate any real left wing policy reforms. And from the Right I just cannot see anything that she stands for that couldn't be better delivered by the conservatives.
    Haha, hold your horses mate. You either haven't read, or have chosen to ignore what the journo who broke the story about him not going with her has said himself, namely that the story wasn't leaked to him by Gillard or anyone in her office. So the whole pretext for that comment is wrong.

Gillard responded to questions asked of her by the media. This was never, ever an issue until idiot came out with the jet lag comments.

If you want to see someone completely going unhinged at the fact he didn't get the power he believes he so richly deserves, check out Abbott's behviour since the Indies made their decision. It's been laughable.

Meanwhile today, we find out good old Joe Hockey, the man who would have been Treasurer and who said the Coalition's costings were "audited", didn't actually mean "audited". The accounting firm specifically stated they didn't audit the figures.

Come on mate, be a bit realistic here. Gillard twisted the knife no doubt once Abbott made his gaffe, but it was no more than the stupidity of his comments deserved. He's now doing no more than trying to blame her for his own brain fart.

Don't hold your breath on the government collapsing either, because everything the Libs have done since the decision by the Indies has basically alienated them. Windsor's post- Four Corners interview where he mentioned Abbott has "basically reverted to type" was a pretty instructive comment as to where he sees things atm.
    Last edited by Burgey; 11-10-2010 at 01:58 AM.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    have the communists taken over yet?

stephen, Julia Gillard wasn't the source.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

stephen I'm going to let you have a look at your own post now before I respond. All I'm gonna say is that's pretty dire form.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

I'm with you mate.

Bunker down until this nightmare blows over (and it always does).

We're Coming Back!
    Last edited by howardj; 11-10-2010 at 06:33 AM.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    We're Coming Back!
    Careful you don't get jet-lag on the way.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Yeah but you were probably in the thrall of Kevin Rudd.

You're a good judge.

That comeback wore itself out about 2 months ago Howie. You're going to have to come up with a new line.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Strength of Aussie dollar against the US surely a good thing for Labor?

Thread Information