Page 404 of 988 FirstFirst ... 304354394402403404405406414454504904 ... LastLast
Results 6,046 to 6,060 of 14808
Like Tree284Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

Went to the EKKA today as it was a holiday in L(B)ogan City where I live. I didn't run into the great man (who was also there) and probably was too drunk to recognise him. lol

Taped the debate between Sloppy and Swanny and just watched it. There was some real fire and brimstone. It was good stuff.

I think the election is slipping away though. Still predicting the Torys to fall short by about 5 seats, but it could easly be by as much as 10. Seats are very hard to move, especially 17 of them.

Interesting snippets here from the General heading onwards.

Gillard on Q and A at 9:30pm.

/Over and out
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Fairly impressed with Hockey today. Didn't sit down and watch it per se, but from the background noise I could hear, he was getting plenty of traction with his attacks on the Government.

Is very hot and cold though, old Joe. Has had some shockers in recent times. Was never a match for Lindsay either.
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

CricketWeb Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Must be something about agricultural shows and Tory leaders.

I remember going to the Easter Show here in 1978 (I was 8 then) and seeing Malcolm Fraser doing what looked to myyouthful eyes as something quite un-natural to a sheep (he was grabbing it around its girth to assess the wool or something)

He seemed a decent enough bloke it should be said. Was probably a bit rough of me to start screaming "Shame Fraser Shame" at him.

I like your signature HJ. You should add Malcolm Fraser's name to the quote. While you're at it, add Tip Costello's quote about TA being not much chop on economic matters .
    Last edited by Burgey; 09-08-2010 at 05:07 AM.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Went to the EKKA today as it was a holiday in L(B)ogan City where I live. I didn't run into the great man (who was also there) and probably was too drunk to recognise him. lol

Taped the debate between Sloppy and Swanny and just watched it. There was some real fire and brimstone. It was good stuff.

I think the election is slipping away though. Still predicting the Torys to fall short by about 5 seats, but it could easly be by as much as 10. Seats are very hard to move, especially 17 of them.

Interesting snippets here from the General heading onwards.

Gillard on Q and A at 9:30pm.

/Over and out
    Still cant believe that the Libs will win despite the ALP doing everything in their power to serve it up to them on a silver platter

They really are having an absolute shocker and the only reason I could think of why anyone would continue to support them is that they are the incumbents

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post

I remember going to the Easter Show here in 1978 (I was 8 then) and seeing Malcolm Fraser doing what looked to myyouthful eyes as something quite un-natural to a sheep (he was grabbing it around its girth to assess the wool or something)

He seemed a decent enough bloke it should be said. Was probably a bit rough of me to start screaming "Shame Fraser Shame" at him.
    "Under the spreading chestnut tree,
    I sold you and you sold me."

Loving this Q&A for a change. No dickheads bickering and interrupting and shouting over each other, no partisan squabbling or insults.

Just policies, policies, policies. A breath of fresh air.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Loving this Q&A for a change. No dickheads bickering and interrupting and shouting over each other, no partisan squabbling or insults.

This.

This is a tour de force by our Dear Leader. Whether you think Gillard did well or not, fact is she fronted and did her best.

That **** plays well.

Abbott on next week. Hmm, think I might tag along..

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    Don't like Hockey most of the time, but man he was on fire today. Comes off so much better when he isn't being an idiot.

Swanny really needs to get those bottom teeth fixed if he wants a tilt at PM IMO.

Julia smashed it on Q and A tonight. Was an impressive performance without notes - as one twitter comment noted, she does a great line in complimenting the questioner on his question while redefining it in a way that doesn't offend, but even then, I don't think she gave any real weasel answers to anything - including that she didn't feel that she had anything to apology to Rudd for, and therefore hadn't apologised to him.

As Burgey said, will be interesting to see how Abbott goes when he gets his right of reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Question about Mark Latham was hilarious, and Julia's response was gold
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post

Indeed. Still think the panels can be excellent though, with the right personnel. The show two weeks ago was fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBloody Idiot View Post
    Swanny really needs to get those bottom teeth fixed if he wants a tilt at PM IMO.
    Haha I doubt he'll get a chance with Shorten floating around.

Maribyrnong represent

Last edited by Jono; 09-08-2010 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post

I like your signature HJ. You should add Malcolm Fraser's name to the quote. While you're at it, add Tip Costello's quote about TA being not much chop on economic matters .
    Surely you don't have to have it spelt out to you, do you?

There is no irony in what Fraser and Costello said. They are both perfectly qualified to comment on whether somebody is ready to be PM, and whether they are economically savvy respectively. By contrast, Rudd (the PM whose tenure is measured in months, not years) looks like an absolute ass when passing opinion on who is and who is not 'up to the job of being PM'. How could he be so lacking in self-awareness, so vain, not to see how silly he looked when saying that. The man, by any definition, was a failure. Not even you or Bruce Hawker could spin otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Surely you don't have to have it spelt out to you, do you?

There is no irony in what Fraser and Costello said. They are both perfectly qualified to comment on whether somebody is ready to be PM, and whether they are economically savvy respectively. By contrast, Rudd (the PM whose tenure is measured in months, not years) looks like an absolute ass when passing opinion on who is and who is not 'up to the job of being PM'. How could he be so lacking in self-awareness, so vain, not to see how silly he looked when saying that. The man, by any definition, was a failure. Not even you or Bruce Hawker could spin otherwise.
    Costello is not qualified to say who should or shouldn't be PM, when he never had the stones to run himself. At least Rudd had the stones to stand up and have a crack at it.

Costello is the ultimate s******ing school kids, big with the sneer and the one-liners, but when asked to come to the front of the class, lacks the balls to go through with his rhetoric.

I agree that Gillard was quite impressive last night - I'm willing to give credit to the other side, and am not a paid up party hack . However, her job was made considerably easier by Tony Jones - who is either biased or has not been following politics as closely as he should be - not pulling her up on various claims very important claims which she just repeated over and over again last night. Two off the top of my head were:

- that the Liberals are increasing company tax and that this will make groceries dearer (at worst, the rate will stay at 30%, and for all but 3000 companies it will be half of a percent lower than Labor i.e. 28.5% compared to 29%.) It was like he pretended he did not know that the Liberals are cutting company tax by more than what Labor are.

- that the Liberals opposed economic stimulus. She must have said this, unchallenged, at least 10 times. The facts are that they supported the first stimulus, and only voted down the second round because they thought it should be $20 billion, not $42 billion. Turns out, given all the waste and given that it is still rolling out now, it looks like they were right.

For Jones to sit there, and surely the guy knew about these things otherwise he is derelict in his job, and let her go unchallenged and repeat these things, was high farce. It was an unpaid, unchallenged advertisement.

Thread Information