Page 295 of 988 FirstFirst ... 195245285293294295296297305345395795 ... LastLast
Results 4,411 to 4,425 of 14808
Like Tree284Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

Was just asking because my girlfriend's brother-in-law is from there.

Bit of a bogan then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Tanner on ****ing fire. In a class of his own.

Hockey not bad either, but...

"I'm sorry, I got lost in the absurdity of the moment"
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Yeah, Lindsay was very impressive. Hockey seems to have a lot of rhetoric, and manages to express things in real terms to voters well, but not sure that they always stand up to real scrutiny at times.

Kerry may have claimed two big scalps in two weeks. Watching Nightline lead with Abbott's "get it in writing" remarks as their lead story at the moment.

Oh dear, the 'Straight Talker' says on tv "you can't trust what I say because I get overexcited and say things I don't intend to stick to, so you better get the version written out by my adult supervisors" That bird ain't going to fly once it's turned into a sound/vision bite advertisement...

People talking about Rudd's honeymoon being over, looks like Tony might be checking out of the heart-shaped suite too as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Yeah, Lindsay was very impressive. Hockey seems to have a lot of rhetoric, and manages to express things in real terms to voters well, but not sure that they always stand up to real scrutiny at times.
    D'ya reckon Joe's heart is really in defending some of Abbott's more self-combustive antics?

One thing that annoyed me was a few outlets pestering Abbott about his opinion within a shadow cabinet meeting, where he's supposedly pushed for policies that have not been given the assent of his fellow shadow ministers. Think it's a bit unfair to push him about that, even though they're not in government surely the principles of Collective Ministerial Responsibility still apply in such a situation.

However, I do find the inference that Abbott is suggesting policies and being voted down by the rest of his shadow cabinet interesting, showing that Abbott is still having to be "refined" by those around him, to be made to seem less extreme. I couldn't see Howard having too many of his proposals being knocked on the head, because they'd make political sense in some form. Even Abbott's paid paternity leave policy, which got through, doesn't really make a huge amount of political sense from a Coalition point of view.

Well he saved the hassle of them worrying about that one by simply not discussing it with them.

Terrible display by Abbott. It's interviewing 101 to know that when you're cornered on the specifics, you revert to the general. For instance, rather than getting bogged down on when can we believe what you say type argument, he should have just said:

"The measure is a levy, not a tax - therefore, I didn't break my promise. And the levy is temporary, only imposed because of Labor's debt, and only applies to the very top income earning businesses in Australia".

You don't get bogged down in the specifics of when you can be trusted/taken at your word.

I thought Hockey was impressive on Q&A.

What struck me is that he is one of the very few Coalition politicians who gets a good reception from an audience.

Howie, genuine question - why has Julie Bishop been such a enduring feature as Dep. PM? Does she genuinely bring with her a considerable clump of numbers in the party room? Is she simply a compromise candidate everyone can agree on? I can't think that she's considered the leader in waiting or one of the strongest performers in the party - there would be many better options on that front.

Yeah, I'm not sure.

Although I remember hearing at the time of the leadership challenge in December that if she was to be challenged for deputy, then her supporters might make it hard for Abbott and withdraw their support in the leadership ballot.

It's a bit like Jenny Macklin when she was deputy for all those years - totally useless, but it's such a hassle to remove her.

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Terrible display by Abbott. It's interviewing 101 to know that when you're cornered on the specifics, you revert to the general. For instance, rather than getting bogged down on when can we believe what you say type argument, he should have just said:

"The measure is a levy, not a tax - therefore, I didn't break my promise. And the levy is temporary, only imposed because of Labor's debt, and only applies to the very top income earning businesses in Australia".

You don't get bogged down in the specifics of when you can be trusted/taken at your word.
    Totally agree. It's even more baffling when you consider the context of the interview. His performance was always going to be compared to Rudd's ridiculous display last week, so all Abbott had to do was get through it without saying anything stupid. The headlines would have contrasted Abbott's poise against Rudd losing the plot and scored Tony some points.

How effective do you think the late-in-the-campaign "Abbott=WorkChoices" advertisements will be now that they can add Abbott apparently admitting to the world that you can't believe what he says?

Abbott needs to realise that his best chance to win this thing is to be as bland and unremarkable as possible.
    Andy, not Nathan. NOT Nathan. My left hand is reserved for lighting cigarettes.

Tanner is always brilliant on Q&A. No difference this week.

Love that man. What an attention to detail he has.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Thread Information