Page 273 of 981 FirstFirst ... 173223263271272273274275283323373773 ... LastLast
Results 4,081 to 4,095 of 14713
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

Much of what you say is true, but nothing there makes them worse than One Nation.

One is silly policies, the other is evil.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

I didn't say they were worse than One Nation tbf to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Two sides of the same coin, with equally loony policies. It's just that one has the thinnest veneer of polish while the other doesn't.
    EDIT: Also, you've missed part of my point if you equate One Nation with evil, and I appreciate you were probably abbreviating your view there. I think the people involved in the party leadership were a bunch of disreputable, ignorant fools, who pedalled some appalling ****. And because of the approach they took, they definitely attracted so genuine assholes who ARE evil. But I think they were a minority within the party, at least in its first flush. I don't think the majority of people who were initially attracted to One Nation were evil - I think most of them were probably well-meaning, but the fact that we had such a large chunk of our society who were scared/frustrated enough to latch onto what Hanson and her cronies were pedalling indites society as a whole as much as it does those voters themselves.
    Last edited by Matt79; 24-04-2010 at 08:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Sorry you are right, I basically meant they're still not in the same ballpark.

One is the token racist party in a western country, the other is the token green party.

To say one equates the other is a bit wrong IMO.

They equate to each other, IMO, in that they would both be utterly disastrous and destroy our society as we know it, if they gained power. As I said, there is a difference in that one side has a kernel, and often more than a kernel, of decent ideals (in my view) whereas the other much less so, but that's pretty meaningless compared to where their policies would lead us.
    Last edited by Matt79; 24-04-2010 at 08:36 AM.

The other big rider with all of this is that generally, any party that gains power will often find that they can't implement all the things they'd like to, and are forced to compromise and become less extreme. Sometimes that doesn't happen, and I will say that I think the Greens would be more likely to become more reasonable in power than One Nation.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Are these One Nation guys out and out racists (BNPesque maybe) or more like a UKIP type party?
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

They were probably trying to develop themselves into something like the Front National in France, or I suppose the BNP in the UK, although they were never as smoothly organised as either and (with a bit of help) quickly collapsed amid infighting, allegations of electoral fraud, other assorted malfeasence, and claims of infiltration by hardliners. Their collapse was also no doubt hastened by John Howard moving to been seen to validate and address the concerns of many of the people who voted for them and stealing back the bulk of those voters.

They were a bit different as well as they went from nothing to a very big result in a state election very quickly, whereas I understand the BNP has been more of a slow build up?

One Nation's rhetoric was certainly isolationist and in several instances clearly racist. There were famous references to ethnic ghettos, immigrants refusing to assimilate etc. The leader also slammed government assistance to aboriginal people and took to appearing literally wrapped in the Aussie flag.

The wikipedia article is probably a good basic summary.
    Last edited by Matt79; 24-04-2010 at 08:49 AM.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Yeah, BNP have been building slowly since the early 90s, and don't have any seats in British parliament. Thanks for the response anyway, explains a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Are these One Nation guys out and out racists (BNPesque maybe) or more like a UKIP type party?
    Many Australians agreed with parts of their original ideology, i.e. no-one living in Oz is entitled to more benefits simply because of race/colour/creed

Problem is that it was communicated by naive/less intelligent/racist people advised by halfwits and reported on by ****s with an agenda

BTW, if anyone needs evidence as to why Abbott should never be entrusted with higher office, look no further than his treatment of Hanson (and I'm a Liberal voter!)

Buzzer Buswell - A Loveable Rogue

Politics needs characters.
    Last edited by howardj; 24-04-2010 at 04:29 PM.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Hmm, I'm not sure if I'd describe the BNP as out-and-out racist; they are disgusting and ignorant and almost certainly racist, but they can't afford to be openly racist. Neither are the NF IMO, got a flier through my door and there was no mention of race anywhere on it. In fact, Nick Griffin was clearly trying pedal the idea that immigration and race made up a very small part of his manfiesto when he launched it today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

BNP I'd assume. They are out-and-out racists and only believe in Australians in Australia.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

U19 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Many Australians agreed with parts of their original ideology, i.e. no-one living in Oz is entitled to more benefits simply because of race/colour/creed

Problem is that it was communicated by naive/less intelligent/racist people advised by halfwits and reported on by ****s with an agenda

BTW, if anyone needs evidence as to why Abbott should never be entrusted with higher office, look no further than his treatment of Hanson (and I'm a Liberal voter!)
    Abbott was under orders from Howard to trash her while Howard stole her policies.

8:30pm tonight on your ABC

Tune in

Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    Two quizzes for all you political nerds. They aren't as good as the old OzPolitics thing, but they're still decent gagues for where you are at.....

▷Australian Political Party Selector SelectSmart.com free Politics & Government personality test, selector quiz, matching, choose, compare.
    Australian Political Quiz

I got...

My #1 is: Australian Democrats Books, etc.
    My #2 is: The Greens Books, etc.
    My #3 is: Labor Party Books, etc.
    My #4 is: National Party Books, etc.
    My #5 is: Liberal Party Books, etc.
    My #6 is: One Nation Books, etc.

and....

Australian Political Quiz - Results
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    What quiz did you do? Possible to provide a link.

Some very good points there, imo.
    The first one

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Much of what you say is true, but nothing there makes them worse than One Nation.

One is silly policies, the other is evil.
    I look at it from a damage mitgation point of view. Both parties would be disasterous for the country, both parties are full of extremists. I do think that the Greens form of self-righteous religious totalitarianism would be worse than the One Nation nationalistic xenophobic totalitarianism, from a utilitarian perspective.

Honestly though, I would leave this country if either of these two parties came to power.

Socially the Labor party is much more moderate in its policies than the Green party. Mainly because they are more pragmatic, unless you live in the Peoples Republic of Blighland.

Thread Information