Page 270 of 988 FirstFirst ... 170220260268269270271272280320370770 ... LastLast
Results 4,036 to 4,050 of 14808
Like Tree284Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Would be very interesting if this was brought in:

No more dole, Tony Abbott warns the under-30s | News.com.au

Probably wouldn't get passed, but interesting policy anyway and would be popular with a lot of voters I'm sure.
    I can't get a job, and the government isn't handing me the dole, so I'm going to uproot myself and head over to WA to work in the mines?

Youth unemployment rate is in double figures. Retail and hospitality are only now starting to hire again after the GFC.

Do you honestly think that the only reason young people are on Newstart is because they're bludgers who can't be bothered moving to regional WA? Do you honestly think that bosses won't exploit their younger workers if they don't have a safety net?

Will deadset move to Canada if this ever becomes law.
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

CricketWeb Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

What a crock. How many people would want to move to regional WA? You can't just make them do so just to get money. Would probably leave the country if he ever got into power.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Well get a job in the service industry. Sure, you might be overskilled, but I'm not going to sit here and pay for you when you're more likely to get a job than people over 30.

He's not suggesting everyone who doesn't have a job has to go over to WA and work in the mines, all he's doing is proposing a mechanism to weed out the dole bludgers.

It's not a one size fits all policy but it's better than sitting on your hands and doing nothing.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Countries must be judged to some degree on how they treat the most vulnerable. I would hate to think that in AUstralia there would ever be absolutely no safety net for some folk - even if they are lazy or whatever. My understanding is that you at least have to demonstrate some sort of effort has been made, if you are to continue receiving the dole long to medium term. I think having to demonstrate that is sufficient in terms of claw back.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Tony seems to be basically saying that parents will have to look after their kids for longer if they can't find a job (assuming they try hard to do so and simply cannot). Think it's a bit of a case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater myself. He's either happy to pass the buck on to the parents or he's prepared for the fall-out when a number of people end up on the streets with no access to funds.

Given the recent economic climate it seems like a strange suggestion. I wouldn't think it would be popular with people in that age bracket who have genuinely looked hard for jobs and are still unemployed. Takes away their independence too.

Personally I'd think there'd have to be a more carefully considered approach to weeding out dole bludgers than this.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Well get a job in the service industry. Sure, you might be overskilled, but I'm not going to sit here and pay for you when you're more likely to get a job than people over 30.

He's not suggesting everyone who doesn't have a job has to go over to WA and work in the mines, all he's doing is proposing a mechanism to weed out the dole bludgers.

It's not a one size fits all policy but it's better than sitting on your hands and doing nothing.
    Agree with this, too many people in the country are too proud to get their hands dirty, so to speak. There's always work available for people who are genuinely seeking it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Such a line of thinking is very popular in times of economic prosperity. But now? Hmmmm.

Doesn't seem like smart politics, whatever you think of the merits of the policy.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clapo View Post
    Agree with this, too many people in the country are too proud to get their hands dirty, so to speak.
    Hmmm, I call bollocks on this. I know a few people like that, sure, but most people I know are willing to work and move to find it.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Hmmm, I call bollocks on this. I know a few people like that, sure, but most people I know are willing to work and move to find it.
    This. Though I don't especially like gettin my hands dirty, I confess. I'll do it, but prefer not to.

As for the policy...

So, you turn 30 and the cheque can roll in.

Because unlike yesterday when you were 29, now you're one of the truly disadvantaged who needs help....

Gets more Latham every day, does Tone.
    Last edited by Burgey; 20-04-2010 at 09:47 PM.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Would be very interesting if this was brought in:

No more dole, Tony Abbott warns the under-30s | News.com.au

Probably wouldn't get passed, but interesting policy anyway and would be popular with a lot of voters I'm sure.
    I think it was Hewson who proposed a policy of "work for the dole" in an election campaign

Anyway, I remember standing in a queue at an election booth behind a few young guys and their decision as to who to vote for was made right there and then and they chose to vote ALP because they didnt want to work

This will NEVER get passed and would be end of the Libs campaign if seriously proposed

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    It is almost as if Abbott has completely given up on the young vote.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    It's an odd thought bubble to have in an election year though, isn't it? He's just handed the ALP a cracking little scare campaign.

Strikes me as very odd tbh.

U19 Debutant
    This is all we need. More young kids spending everything they have to move up this way to make their fortune, only to find out that they can't afford to live in the North West, even with those fat paycheques.

I've lost count of the amount of young people I've seen move up here, only to leave town a year later with empty pockets.
    Andy, not Nathan. NOT Nathan. My left hand is reserved for lighting cigarettes.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBloody Idiot View Post
    It is almost as if Abbott has completely given up on the young vote.
    Yeah, but all the old bastards will probably vote for him.

And for people who think that certain people are dole bludgers, they are clearly deluded. Most people would do anything for work.

And also, why people under 30? It's really bad thinking by him.

Thread Information